my poor dead engine

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by richie49, Aug 27, 2018.

1. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Greg
    Wish I had looked back earlier on this post. Already reordered from jegs. Hopefully third is the charm.
    Darius
    I actually got a live person that spoke okay.Canceled and got return labels and all.

Richard richie49

Darius likes this.
  2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Second time with Amazon was the charm. I also got a live person who spoke English (at least more fluidly than the other guy) and he hooked me up with the second return label - plus he put through a refund!!!

Now I'll order that same product from Home Depot's mail-order and hopefully the right picking label with be on the right box.

Dude, we is now batting 1,000, maybe. o_O

"Hopeful" d :geek:

5one9 likes this.
  3. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

Please rip them a new one on your Amazon Review, or whoever you ordered from, Review. This is the only way they will do anything about fixing their Quality Control, and it also warns the next guy away.
    I ordered a set of Gearwrench SAE ratcheting wrenches on Black Friday, and they sent me metric :devil:.

4. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Want to trade???? :rofl:

d

5. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

Nah, they work on my Ford :laugh:, which is my daily driver......

6. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Good News
    Got my correct converter!! :)
    Bad News
    Going out of town so it will be 2 weeks to install:(:confused:

Richard richie49

7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

LOL! Sounds like "LIFE" jumped in to interfere. Glad the right part will be there when you get home.

Best,

d

8. richie49

richie49 Active Member

I finally got back on the corvair on thursday .Now the first thing is the temp in houston texas(I'm in pasadena) The temp was 100 degrees with a heat index of 105. IT WAS HOT!
    Got a good friend to help ,we did have several fans.We started at 10am and the dang car argued with us all day and finished hooking everything up at 4:30.Put 8 grts of trans fluid in and fired it up.We ran out of trans fluid and it wasn't full. put in gear and its much better going in gear.Still have to try tuning it better.Idle is very rough yet.I actually got the idle down to 800 rpm.By this time it was 5:20 so I tryed moving it back and forth to see what it would do on moving. Backed it up about 10 feet from under the carport and the dang car ran out of GAS!!:mad::(So being Dead tired we pushed it back under the carport and Quit. Was a big letdown.Hopefully maybe Sat I can do some more. on it.:whistle: Kinda excited to see if I can get to drive it.:) Gotta tune ,set timing and setup the mechanical advance. so I have some more to do.

Richard richie49
    Its slow but it is a going I think:confused:

5one9 and USSCADY like this.
  9. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Got back on the car and filled up the trans and it goes into gear much better and moves smoothly as the gas is applied. With the old converter it was horrible to let idle in gear
    and with the 2500 it I think will be tamed enough to be able to drive .At the moment it idles at 850.I had tried to smooth out the idle with the old converter by trying spark plug settings from 35 to 60 gaps ,with carb adjustments with each change. Then I tryed different timing from 10 degrees to 30 at idle so with the new converter I'm gonna try resetting the tune again.I got shocked by a plug wire so I'm getting new wires and whatever else after checking all the electrical cap rotor ect. So before I order new parts I'd like some suggestions. The cam is a 108 lsa and with a decent overlap. Should I try certain heat range hot or cold plugs? What gap should I try? The ignition is a points dist with the crane xr-1 conversion. Any certain brand wires? Whenever the parts come in, I'll reset the timing to whatever the engine seems to like and recurve mechanical to give about 36 * total. The vacumn can is a 10* can.Just got to see if it likes ported or manifold.
    I have never had a higher stall converter in a car before with a bigger cam. All my cars with cams were standard so I am not sure how its supposed to behave.:confused: I didnt want to get too wild with a not very good ignitian curve as I did a very short test of throttle. I backed up to the road and as a test I stepped on the brake and throttled up to 2000 and as I let off the brake i hit the gas , now I only hit hard and let off as quick as I could kinda like a jab on the pedal so I didn't expect much.The engine revved up up to 4000 it seemed instantly:geek: .The car lit up the tires with out any bog ect. This cam has a lot of potential it seems. The #10 steath cam ran very good but it didnt come on like this one did. Now I still dont like the idle as rough as it is , but I do hope I can get it better so I can drive and try this cam out. :whistle:

Richard richie49

2JvLo likes this.
  10. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

Richie
    Taking this one thing at a time let’s start with the distributor. I personally would recommend going to an HEI with an MSD coil. With say 22 degrees mechanical advance set it at 12 degrees initial.
    A set of MSD wires is best IMHO.
    I run Autolite 66s gapped at .050 and have no issues.
    With the distributor and wires and plugs as above, see what the vacuum is at idle. You will then see what vacuum advance to use, meaning one that starts at just below your idle vacuum and gives you something like 10 or 12 degrees.
    I don’t claim to be An expert but those are the things I did on mine when my motor was similar to what you describe as yours being.
    Greg Surfas

2JvLo and Darius like this.
  11. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Greg
    I'd like to run my HEI but the the HEI is too tall to fit under my hood.The points dist is 2 inchs shorter and it fits.All the after market dist that I have checked are all too tall.
    Apparently most are made from the casting of a chevy with the mounting pad moved to the caddy height. I was going to try to use a points dist changed to a hei style using a mopar reluctor wheel on a turned down points cam but cant find anyone to turn down the cam without costing as much as a new dist. The crane conversion ignitian doesnt fire a hei tester so I cant set gap too wide at the moment.
    Does anyone know of a caddy distributer with a magnetic pickup that is shorter than the HEI ? Any suggestions ? All the people that convert the dist have a fairly long waiting time for turnover.

Richard richie49

12. Cadillac Kid 1

I’ve got an MTS unit that will fit. Pm me.
    Greg Surfas

13. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    Pertronix in a points distributor is the logical choice

kzhurley likes this.
  14. Cadillac Kid 1

A distributor designed from the beginning with a magnetic pick up tends to be far more accurate and dependable.
    Greg Surfas

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  15. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

Please explain

16. Cadillac Kid 1

Take a look at the differences. Dust like MTS or DUI or MSD have the rotating components mounted solidly and directly on the shaft rather than on the advance weight mounting plate and the electronics again mounted more securely. Add one might be just fine for a stock motor but anything high performance will have enough high speed vibrations to rattle the components
    Greg Surfas

17. richie49

richie49 Active Member

I have heard about people having problem with the Petronix conversion.But I hear as much good as bad stories. Right now my points dist has the crane xr-1 conversion and didnt have any trouble with the engine when it was stock. With the cam I have in it it is very rough and I'm wanting a hotter spark. The crane wont spark on a hei tester so the spark isnt as hot as the Hei. I don't want to go all hi tech with all the add on like the crane or msd ignitions. Just trying to make sure the ignition is good then go from there.

Richard richie49

18. Cadillac Kid 1

Pertronics are excellent for a stock low compression engine in a daily driver
    Greg Surfas

19. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Darius likes this.
  20. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

Have you checked the timing at idle? It should be rock solid even if the idle is fluctuating slightly. If the advance is kicking in to early from worn bushings or springs, it will cause the erratic idle that you are seeing.

I have used petronix with success on my '61 and '64. Make sure you are feeding it the full 12V, and not from the factory pink wire (with built in resistance) that lowers the voltage to 7-9 Volts to feed points. Petronix also requires a specific range of internal ohms for your coil, the stock coil or standard high performance coil usually won't work.

Darius likes this.