my poor dead engine

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by richie49, Aug 27, 2018.

1. richie49

richie49 Member

Well after looking at the darn corvair with a sick 500 for 6 weeks I finanly got to work on it some.When the oil pressure dropped down between 8# and 15 # pressure at idle and barely 18 # at higher rpm ,i quit driving it and waited till I had some time ect to go ahead and pull the engine and Im going to rebuild it basdicly stock ,hopefully nothings wrong with the #10 mts cam and crank.Its not going to be all out motor.The engine with the # 10 cam ran really strong in the corvair and Im happy with that preformance.

I was reading a commit by Darius about any one still liking the caddy.In one way power wise I could make it easyer on myself and put in a ls. BUT I have had my corvair at the local car spots on FRI and SAT nights and the corvair always draws a crowd when I open the hood with that 500 ci engine. I believe it would lose a lot by putting a LS in it,guess I dont want to join the LS crowd. I'll stay older school.

Richard richie49
    Now gotta find some parts.

SHAKEDOG likes this.
  2. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    That's cool your not going the LS route. Seems to be the "new" flat head. Does your car have the engine in back with a Eldo trans?

3. richie49

richie49 Member

My corvair has the engine in front.The car sets on a 85 monte carlo ss frame ,arather tight fit.Hopefully it'll be back on the road in the near future.

Richard richie49

4. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Richard,

My V8 Vairs all had their engines in the rear so I have no experience with a re-framed front engined Corvair. When you have some time I'd love to see pictures of your installation.

Years ago I thought about using the TH425 transaxle mounted mid-ships with everything turned sideways - as in transversely mounted. The thought was to use fully independent axles front and rear making the car AWD. Somehow the AWD Studebaker project seemed easier.

Best of luck sorting out the problem with your engine. Let me know if I can help.

bro. d

5. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

Then this should be an easy fix. Just rehash the motor and go!

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Richard,

Up above I asked for pictures of your installation. I do remember that you posted some picture a while back but I've looked for them and can't find them. Can you point me to the thread that has them?

Thanks,

bro. d

7. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Thats a bummer. I hate reading things like this. Good luck.
    PJ

8. richie49

richie49 Member

Darius
    Just type in 1965 corvair in the searce panel.If I can find them I'll post some pics when I started with the 500 in the back with the 425 trans.I could not get it to work with the suspension so
    thats when I went with the frame conversion.
    P.J.
    Yes its a bummer.When I can Ill post some pics of the main and rod bearings.They dont look real bad but strange.The biggest problem is the cam bearings THEY are shot all to hell.The engine was rebuild earlier
    in life by someone so maybe they were bad before I put in the cam.I dont know.I didnt think I was rough enough to damage them but if they were I should have seen them.Looks like Im going to have crank turned
    all new bearing rings.
    I have some questions on the cam.When I can get the pics I'll post them.
    Just another day in our fun sport of automotive hobby.

Richard richie49

9. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Done! A good refresher on your project. I look forward to seeing more.

bro. d

10. richie49

richie49 Member

Hello everyone,

I have to rebuild my engine,turn crank ect. So I have to get my parts but would like to have some help on what.
    1 Are grooved cam bearings for a basicaly stock build nessary?
    2 Moly or cast rings?
    3 roller chain cam gear set or standard?
    4 The engine will be basicaly stock except exaust is 2 1/2 pipe, intake hogged out and a cam. The cam was a #10 steath cam. It ran great but the cam was running on bad cam bearings and show a weird
    wear pattern on lobes ,not flat but like it was moving in and out,anyway I'm replacing the cam but would like an increase in power but not to over cam the engine.What would be a good selection?

Any other suggestions welcome.I cant go with new pistons ect ,dont have enough money:(.So I need to go easy on the wallet.

Richard richie49

11. MIHELA

MIHELA Active Member

I went with grooved cam bearings on my build because they can create a better oil wedge. The price is not that much more. Unless you send the motor to a machine shop cast iron rings are easier to hone for at home, and cheaper.

12. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Howdy Richard,

1) Like MIHELA I also went with grooved cam bearings on my build. The slight added cost is overshadowed by the greater peace. (PS - make sure the installer knows which way is up - the right orientation)
    2) For piston rings I've gone both ways (not to get kinky here) but my edge would be for the Moly. I also prefer Total Seal rings for most applications. Just saying'.
    3) We don't really have much choice in cam gear sets. Again, the difference in price is such that I'd go with the best offered. My pockets are limited but my experience says there are place NOT to go cheap.
    4) Camshafts? Pick your Poison! Determine your goals and build accordingly. With these engines "bigger," in terms of cam specs, is more doable than with smaller engines. (Julius would be proud of me!)

As for other suggestions: Again calling on that old fart, MadCad, keep the bearing clearances tighter. Our stock oil pumps have limited capacity and larger clearance are just another name for unnecessary leaks.

Best,

bro. d

PJ McCoy and El Diablo like this.
  13. richie49

richie49 Member

Darius
    I guess I could use my imagination but I dont want to over cam my engine.I kinda want to upgrade from the mt 10 to the mt 15.Mad Cadder doesnt show up here anymore so I cant ask him and f85 is also missing
    :(:)

Richard richie49

14. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Richie. I have the 15 cam. Its not to big. Are you going to use rocker shaft or tee pedestal?
    Can you send me your email? I can load the photo due to low memory on my phone.
    PJ

15. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I have it on good report that both the MadCadder and Bro. PJ are in agreement. The consensus is that the MTS 15 will not over-cam your engine and you aught to degree that cam to be 4 degrees advanced.

What do I know? I like puppies! :geek:

bro. d

16. Red98422

Red98422 Member

From what I understand with these particular engines are really difficult to “over cam” and your valvetrain would be the weak point. If you answer PJ’s question above it will help the folks here to give you advice. (Rockers: “T” or shaft?) also did you upgrade the springs as part of the package with the original cam? I’m thinking that going to a MTS15 could put undue strain and cause a failure if your using otherwise stock parts (I could also be very wrong so seek other opinions as well). Also Stupid question but would the pattern of wear moving in and out indicate lifters jumping off the bevel? Or maybe distributor shaft play?

17. richie49

richie49 Member

PJ
    I'm using the stock t-pedestals. Did you upgrade to shaft rockers?
    Red98422
    I got the kit when I went with the #10 cam.cam lifters springd seals and retainers and the little keepers.Going with new cam and lifters but reusing the spring kit.Its rated for the #15 cam.

Richard richie49

18. Red98422

Red98422 Member

Good to know about the upgraded springs! Also I’ll let PJ answer the shaft vs pedestal question since he is running the #15 already.

19. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

I would think:confused:? But I try not to. Gets me in trouble. That a shaft rocker set up would be stronger:unsure:.

Cadiac likes this.
  20. Red98422

Red98422 Member

The shaft rockers would definitely be stronger, but you have to offset that with the cost of both the setup and the machining needed to install them. Also if you get a non-adjustable set your also looking at potentialy needing pushrods as well...it just sort of snowballs very quickly.

El Diablo and Cadiac like this.