My name is Chris and obsessed with Cadillacs...

Psychoholic

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
72 Miller Meteor
Some might call it a problem (certainly my wallet does) but I just think it's a personality value add.

I'm actually just obsessed with hearses and have been for a very very long time. Bought my first one in '98 and I still drive her to this day (32k miles when I bought, 65k now). Built the motor a few times, been through a few transmission rebuilds, a few sets of driveshafts, all the normal stupid hot rod stuff you shouldn't do with a 7k# car.

My car is a '72 Miller-Meteor named Morticia and is arguably one of the more well known hearses on Youtube due to some videos I had an opportunity to do with VinWiki last year. If you get a chance to see them you'll probably think 'man, this dude is an idiot. I understand though' as most people do when they get to know me.

Currently we're amassing parts to do a turbo build and convert to fuel injection with a Megasquirt MS3Pro.

My daily is a '17 Z06 3LZ (with the carbon ceramic brakes). The goal with the hearse build is that I think it'd be fun to say that my hearse makes more power than my Corvette so that's why we're doing it. Not sure if I can post pictures in this post and since my other 2 posts are still awaiting approval I'm going to assume not (I get it, spammers are awful people).

So, glad to be here! You guys have some serious knowledge and I want to soak it all up.

Chris (Psychoholic)

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
66 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Duplex
Hi Chris! Another hearse guy here, my name is Jay and I'm working on a (very rusty) 66 Miller-Meteor that I'm in the process of swapping a 1970 500 into. Really looking forward to hearing about your turbo/MS3 project, I've got some ideas in my head of a similar setup using a Speeduino.
20200907_224219.jpg

Psychoholic

Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Good to meet you!

I hadn't seen the Speeduino stuff (I do a bunch of Arduino stuff for personal projects) but it looks pretty cool. I'm probably going to write up a plan to do a full light controller using an Arduino at some point.

I'm using a touchscreen with a Raspi4 to use as the dashboard that I've been working on (even printed myself a mount for it for my new dashboard). I'll post pics when I get further down the project.

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
Get out of my head lol. I have a Pi 3 with a 7" touchscreen running Crankshaft that I was planning on putting in the glove box of the 66 (probably with a 3d printed bezel/mount,) and want to eventually run Shadow Dash on it once I get the EFI up and running. The glove box is in the center on a 66, so it seemed like a clean way to integrate it while looking stock when the box is closed.

Psychoholic

Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Get out of my head lol. I have a Pi 3 with a 7" touchscreen running Crankshaft that I was planning on putting in the glove box of the 66 (probably with a 3d printed bezel/mount,) and want to eventually run Shadow Dash on it once I get the EFI up and running. The glove box is in the center on a 66, so it seemed like a clean way to integrate it while looking stock when the box is closed.

This is for that 7" screen with bolt holes that take an m3. I spent some quality time in Fusion360 designing it when I found the design doc on it. If you want I can take 'Morticia' off of it and send you the file to print or if you don't have a printer I can make you one just pay for the postage. I tried it with PETG at first but I didn't like the finish on it so I went back to PLA. Mounting holes in the back match up perfectly (the back picture was from the print that they didn't) and everything.

Let me know what format you'd like and I can make it happen. That was fresh off the printer so with some sanding and priming it would look really good.

You a member of the NHAA by chance? Affiliated with any hearse clubs?

IMG_7571.jpg
IMG_7565.jpg

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
Nice! I bought a printer just before Christmas last year (Ender 3 pro,) but between moving halfway across the country, the move getting delayed due to covid causing us to have to live out of suitcases for 2 months, lots of "homeowner" type projects with the new house, and the engine swap, I never even got the chance to take it out of the box. Probably going to start tinkering with that once winter hits and it's too cold to be out in the garage. Looks like I should be able to use Fusion 360 for free since I'm not making a profit from it, so I'll make an account and download the software and see if I can figure it out. I got pretty good with Autocad back in high school in the late 90s, but haven't used any CAD software since then, so there will probably be a bit of a learning curve. Not affiliated with any clubs yet, although there's a local club (Black Angel Hearse Club out of Council Bluffs, IA) having an event this weekend that I'll be checking out. I had originally intended to get the 66 up and running in time to make it to the show, but it's just not possible at this point. Still going to go and check it out, despite having to show up driving a Prius lol. I've checked out the NHAA website before, but it seems like the forums are dead at this point. I know a lot of the procar scene isn't too keen on modifications, so I'm kind of hesitant to start applying for memberships until I know which one I would fit in best with.

Psychoholic

Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Fusion 360 is a monster of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it it is remarkably powerful!

I've got an Ender 5 Pro I bought a few months ago so I could print literally 3 very specific things and now I'm just printing whatever BS comes to mind. :) It's more fun than I even thought it would be.

I don't know the Black Angels at all. I might have to reach out to them and see if they want some affiliation with the NHAA. I started Dead Ends in '98 and 3 of us (Dead Ends, Dallas Trocars, and the Denver Hearse Association) started the NHAA together and I run it. We basically came together as a protest against the more conservative hearse community of the PCS. We are hugely into modifications and building whatever you want. The forums have been pretty dead for years since most folks do their social media on Facebook these days. I gave up on Facebook about 3.5 months ago (reddit too, that was way harder) and am going back to using forums as my primary way I interact with niche things I'm into. If you're still on FB then I highly suggest joining the NHAA and Dead Ends on it.

Here is a video of me explaining how the NHAA got started and some of my shenanigans in hearsing (I've done 4 videos with VinWiki that seem to be well received):

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
There is a guy somewhere close to me in Charleston WV who brings a whole Hearse/Zombie show to the DooWop Rod Run in Charleston every year. Several ratted out Caddy Hearses and ambulances with coffins and caged zombies with plenty of sound effects. The crowd loves it. Except for the incident in 2020 when it was cancelled because everybody thought Covid was going to turn everybody into zombies.

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
Dallas Trocars... I actually almost joined that club back in '05 or so, was living in Wichita Falls, TX at the time. I had bought a 52 Packard hearse that I had some big plans for, but the car had some major rust issues, and I was a broke twenty-something at the time and couldn't afford to get the project off the ground. I ended up selling it for about the same price I paid for it, and never got a chance to officially join up.

It's kind of a shame that Facebook has killed off so many car forums. I don't use it myself due to data security concerns. I still use Reddit occasionally, but way less than I used to. Way too many hours wasted to mindless scrolling. Since I made that change, I feel way more productive and happier overall. Only downside is that now there's pretty much no active hearse groups outside of FB.

As far as the local group, the only site they have is on FB. It is open to the public so I can still browse through every once in a while, but since I don't have an account, they don't know I exist. I went to their event today, but was disappointed. It looked okay for a small show (not many hearses though), but no one was taking covid precautions, and my wife got upset about it, so I never even got to get out of the car. Hopefully this virus situation will settle down eventually. I'd love to attend car shows again some day. NHAA would get them some more exposure, so it would probably be a good thing for all parties involved if they linked up.

Also, great video! It's amazing the hijinks that tend to happen when these cars are involved.

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
Oh and as a side note, I'd love to see pictures of the casket subwoofer box setup you mentioned in the video if you still have it. I'm planning on doing something similar with my 66, on about 3k RMS. Definitely going to need to upgrade the alternator/electrical system to make it happen.

Psychoholic

Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
@5one9 Charleston WV would probably be my buddies in the Cemetary Knights. They are probably the most active hearse group on the east coast and they build some pretty rad shit to come play with. Good dudes who are lots of fun to hang out with.

@PSYKO_Inc Every year in the May timeframe we do a meet in/around Pigeon Forge/Sevierville TN since it's 'relatively central' (as with all communities people complain no matter where I put on the event - we used to do it in Asheville which I preferred but there wasn't as much to do so I had to do a lot more planning to keep people entertained versus just plan the big events) called Hearsestock. Last year only had about 30-35 cars show up but we've had north of 50 on a few occasions. It's such a small niche community that it's really hard to get a big meet together. You don't have to bring a car just come and hang out! I cancelled this year's event because of Covid (because I take it seriously) so hopefully we'll be in a much better position for next year.

The speaker box was not nearly as advanced as you might be thinking :) It was literally a big ass ported box with these absurd 15's in it just kind of shoved into a cheap casket. The one in my car now is super nice so I don't want to do damage to it. I might build something dedicated later on but right now it's all about that sweet-sweet motor build action.

I try and document fun things I do with videos so here is 2019's Hearsestock:

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like a great event! Unfortunately it's about 1000 miles each way, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to get mine reliable enough to make the trip. Plus no overdrive so maybe 10 mpg at best, and drum brakes through the mountains is bound to make things interesting... Might have to take a flight instead. I actually made that trip in the opposite direction this spring, in my RV towing an SUV on a trailer. Overheated somewhere around Sevierville in a grocery store parking lot at like 2am... Also lost the collector bolts from the headers twice on that trip (thanks to Hedman's stupid ball and socket deal...) Going up mountain passes full throttle at like 4000 rpm at 35mph through basically open headers until I could get to the next town to buy new bolts...good times lol20200509_111948.jpg

Darius

Reaction score
PSYKO,
What engine is in that RV? Drop in a Cadillac 500 built for hauling and pull that same setup. You might be surprised.

bro. d

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
It's a 97 454 TBI with a 4L80E trans, all stock except for long tube headers and a home built 2.5" dual exhaust (it had cracked exhaust manifolds, common on this engine, so might as well upgrade...) I do think a 500 built for torque would be a fantastic RV setup, but considering the work involved with the swap and the overall condition and value of the rig, if the current 454 ever lets go, I'd probably be money ahead just buying a different rig. It's done well for my first motorhome though, bought it in California in 2017, drove it to Georgia, lots of trips down to Florida from Georgia, and most recently Georgia to Nebraska.