my Corvair 500

richie49

Reaction score
It has been a while and I haver been working on mycar on and off.I had put the aluminum radiator in the front with a really great taurus fan from Darius.Well that didnt work out like I thought.The Temps didnt fluxuate as much but stayed in the 188 to 210 * That made it okay to drive but I'm getting older and I NEED myA/C.After looking at the available room
(there was none) to put a A/C radiator in front.So I made room by putting the cooliant radiator back in the back.With the taurus fan blowing on with the car under a carport in temps of 110 with no outside wind blowing the temp stayed at 184 for 20 minutes. I just finished putting the cage box back on and the tires and its ready for a test drive(please Mr Murphy leave it alone:rofl:) I hope to test it later today.

Darius hope your getting some work done on your project. I am not in the best shape besides being over large at the waist,bad back and bad everything so I go out and work for a bit till the heat or me wears out and in I go.I got a great recliner and fan by it. I rest up and out I go again. I have a few videos if I can get them to post not long but they got SMOKE in them:whistle:
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Hey Brother,

Happy to hear you are still tweaking that Caddy powered Vair. Those temperatures you posted weren’t high at all by my standards. Still, if it left you no room for A/C parts it makes sense to try plan Z. ‍

Like you, this body is long past it’s best days, or the next best days for that matter. Still there is no quit in me and much time is being spent in the garage. Some of it is cosmetic (cleaning off the years of dust and touching up the engine paint. The core plugs (freeze plugs in my part of the world) also required a refresh.

Those bits required the motor be removed, which was good, as it allowed final fabrication of the front fender supports.

Hearing Peter’s kill stories, and your working on the Vair, provides motivation for me to stay stubborn and continue.

Best
bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
I finally got to my new test drive.:(:rolleyes: It didn't go as I hoped.Nothing major just little delay. I have had trouble with my alternator belt screaming and voltage dropping. I thought I had that fixed nope Mr Murphy showed up. The belt wore to the pulley that was not really a v but more like a u .I put another pulley on and reset the belt and it failed.So now Im waiting on a deep pulley ,Then I ll get a new belt and try again. On the test drive ,the engine ran great.the temps were running from 180 to 185! Then suddenly the belt screamed voltage dropped and the temps started climbing to 190.Wasn't worried about at that temp but at the volts.If the battery voltage drops to 10 the sniper will quit.Got back to the house and then I saw a cooliant leak.Hose is leaking at the neck so probably the clamp isnt right.That clamp can only be gotten to by removing the sheetmetal box covering the radiator.Had trouble getting to that clamp so I might have to modify the tray holding the radiator.Stay tuned to the misadventures of the 500 Corvair.:rofl: She ain't dead yet!
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
…..And long May she (the 500 Corvair) live!

bro. “Have faith,” d

richie49

Reaction score
She still lives!! I far as I can find the belt was worn down to the bad pulley,more u shape that v.The pulley is a steel pulley but fairly new.(the new one).
As far as the leak it was as I thought.The radiator lays in the tray and it made it very hard to get to the clamp.The clamp was tight but the hose had slipped down as the clamp was tightened and was not in a good spot.I ended up cutting the tray on that corner to access the clamp.I hope to have it together today.
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Hey Richie,

Sounds like progress to me!!:D

richie49

Reaction score
My progress seems to have gotten a bad turn. I got the pulley and belt taken care of.I did some work on the overflow bottle and radiator cap. That was looking good so I went to try tuning up the sniper some and ran into a little problem.:( The starter kinda growled a little and then a slight CRACK:mad:The dang starter crack the nose of the starter. So I ordered a new starter. When I pulled the starter I looked at the teeth and the flywheel teeth are shot. This flywheel has never been right ,with no shims the gap was too big so I had to shave down the starter where it bolts up to get the gap right. That was the gear reduction starter and it rounded off the teeth a little.So I went with a stock style and it wore down the teeth a little more.
So I have to pull the flywheel again.
Anyone have a OEM flwheel they would like to sell?
Richard richie49

G

G-933821

eBay has new 500 flex plates as does what used to be MTS. ( Can't remember new name, haven't dealt with them since Marty passed.)

Monzallac 425

Reaction score
Don't use the new MTS, it's a ripoff operation.. Cadco is the better bet....$95 stock flex plate, $129 stamped flex plate, $195 SFI Flex plate.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
The flex plate I have on the car right now was from cadco and it was a pioneer brand and it didnt fit right ,dont know about the others they sell .Going to check around and see what I can come up with.
Richard richie49