lost my only set of car keys for 2018 Cadillac CTS

benbr17624

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
Cadillac Escalade 2017
I lost my only car key fob for my 2018 CTS. dealer is closed today and locksmith wants $600.
does anyone have any idea if this is a fair price?
i am in no rush and can wait for tomorrow, but still looks a bit steep for me.
thanks!

Alex217

Reaction score
XTS
hey, did you manage to get a cheaper price? it does sound a bit steep... we've used a couple of websites over the years and it always worked out cheaper than the dealer...

benbr17624

Reaction score
Cadillac Escalade 2017
hey, did you manage to get a cheaper price? it does sound a bit steep... we've used a couple of websites over the years and it always worked out cheaper than the dealer...
No, still having this problem. way to expensive, waiting for some ideas. if you have one - please feel free to share :)

benbr17624

Reaction score
Cadillac Escalade 2017
No, still having this problem. way to expensive, waiting for some ideas. if you have one - please feel free to share :)
I have a spare key btw, but still, need to get a replacement just in case..

benbr17624

Reaction score
Cadillac Escalade 2017
Hey everyone,

just wanted to post an update, after a long research i did, here is what i came up with.

I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.

Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.

It helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:

1. Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think the work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.

2. Tow the car to the dealer.

3. Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).

Here is the link to read more:

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:

1. Year, make and model of the car

2. Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)

3. VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important

4. Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.

There are 3 main types of keys:

Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)

Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make

Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.

The average cost is somewhere between $180-$450. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.

Here is the link for some additional information:

Of course, i hope you wont need it ;)

MIHELA

Reaction score
This is a tricky subject. I have worked at dealers for 14 years. When people bring in keys they got that didn't come from the manufacturer, it's a crapshoot as to whether they will program, and usually you are on the hook for the labor whether it works or not. Costs can vary considerably, especially on cars from the last 5 or so years. But I think the dealer is the best place to start, we deal with lost keys multiple times a day.