little bit of progress

gordon

Reaction score
Finally after a fairly long wait my custom pistons have arrived . I will take the Molner rods to the machine shop and have the small ends honed for pin fit. The long wait was due to most things just moving slow in the Covid times. I had a custom Mike Jones hyd roller cam for a sbc project also take extra time to get here. I should end up at 9.9:1 , I will mock everything up and cc' and measure. Will wait until next weekend to call Mike Jones to order the Cad camshaft. I would have bought pistons from Cadco but they did not have the size to fit my already bored block. Race Tech Pistons made what I needed. If I can figure out how to post pics. I will .

gordon

Reaction score
These pistons turned out rather well only thing I might do different on next set is to add forced oiling to the full floating pin, have them cut for double spirolocs instead of the wire locs , and lay the angle of the eye brows back a bit. The eye brows I can do here at the house. I don't really need the forced oiling to the full floating pins but it is nice to have, and on endurance race engines in the past I nearly always ran the double spirolocs for pin retainment. Race tech did a nice job.

Attachments

• IMG_6178[1].JPG
    IMG_6178[1].JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6179[1].JPG
    IMG_6179[1].JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6180[1].JPG
    IMG_6180[1].JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6177[1].JPG
    IMG_6177[1].JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 6

gordon

Reaction score
Found another Cad forum site and tried to register and it kept saying I was a spam and to contact administrator only to not find an avenue to make contact . Oh well I guess I am not allowed to join the modified Cadillac forum.

Darius

Reaction score
Maybe those folks aren’t interested in your project but there are individuals here very interested!

Those pistons are simply beautiful!

best,
bro. d

gordon

Reaction score
They are very similar to what Frohmader shows in his book "Big inch Cadillac" . They are not the usual 2618 type alloy I run in my blown engines, instead they are made from a 4 series alloy forging to be able to run slightly tighter clearance for the street but still have the toughness of a forged piston. I was going to buy from Cadco but they only wanted to sell what they had on the shelf and I would have had to rebore the block . For slightly more than what Cadco wanted I had these made to fit my existing bore. If you need pistons done to your specs I can certainly recommend RaceTech/AutoTech pistons. I had one other piston manufacturer get really upset with me because I would not have him make full dish pistons for me. He said I could make more power. I believe he is right but I wanted the squish pad design which seems to work well on low rpm torque engines especially when you can keep the piston to head clearance in the .036-.045 range . Besides at 65 yrs. old I definitely know what I want regardless of what someone else thinks I should have. I need to find a bent ,broken, cracked ,or blown up 950 casting head I can cut up to measure wall thickness to see how far I can go on these heads for porting. I anyone within couple hundred miles of Sacramento has one ,give me a shout I will come and get it.

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Found another Cad forum site and tried to register and it kept saying I was a spam and to contact administrator only to not find an avenue to make contact . Oh well I guess I am not allowed to join the modified Cadillac forum.
Other Cad forum sites seem to be either be dead or don't want to be bothered with our insanity. Or stupidity.

Last edited:

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Don't remember seeing your threads. Of course I'm blind in one eye. And can't see out of the other.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
If you are talking about the Modified Chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle club forum I don’t recall seeing anything from you Gordon, please try again.
Greg Surfas

gordon

Reaction score
Greg I tried twice to register this morning. Each time it said I was spam and should contact admin. I looked all over that site, found no way to contact . I guess I have to be registered to contact admin to let them know there is a problem getting registered. Almost sounds like Abbot and Costello doing "Who's on first".