I think I'm about to do something really dumb with pulleys.

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
72 Miller Meteor
First let me say that I'm an idiot and I fully embrace/acknowledge that.

Second understand that my hearse has been and always will be a source of obsessive excess for me. I like excess. Excess is good. If you're building a car for just fun and enjoyment and you have no need to be reasonable and rational why wouldn't you just do a series of REALLY dumb things that fit with your penchants for said excess?

So having qualified with those 2 things let's get started with the dumb explanation.

The stereo in the car now isn't anything too crazy or normal (somewhere in between). The primary source of entertainment are the pair of Kicker CompR 12's with 1933 watts RMS going to them. It's loud but it's not absurd and I aim to fix that. Going to build a new enclosure in the shape of a coffin and put a pair of Sundown X series v2 12's in it and power them with a pair of 2k watt amps. Since one of my side businesses is making high end furniture I think I can make something really nice looking while being perfectly dumb at the same time.

Currently I have a Powermaster 150 amp alternator in there on a single v-belt with the smog delete kit. In order to power such a stereo I need MOAR POWER! I keep reading that a 170 amp would be at the ragged edge of what you can spin with a single v-belt so I'm going to probably do a 370 or 400 amp Mechman alternator which relies on a 6 groove serpentine belt. My car does not and probably will never have air conditioning so I don't need to worry about that and since the current alternator is smack dab in the path of where the hot side piping will come out from the turbo I want to move it to where the power steering pump is (you can start to see where this is going). If I ditch the power steering pump I can go to an electric assist rack (my Megasquirt can actually give me variable input using a PWM channel based on speed).

Making brackets is absolutely no problem for us. I think I'll buy the water/crank pulleys from Cadco since it'd take me the better part of a day to make them. Pretty sure I can hit the salvage yards and find an electric assist rack out of a full sized pickup and adapt the arms.

All of this also has the added benefit of going from a 3 groove pulley to a single pulley and that should free me up a little bit of extra space for the ignition trigger wheel.

Having ADHD sucks.

Chris (Psychoholic)

Darius

Reaction score
A 6 groove serpentine system is easy and inexpensive. A crank pulley from a wrecking year Taurus, a store bought water pump pulley (part number available), two or more idler pulleys from NAPA, followed by a piece of string, or 1 inch wide masking tape, to determine what length of belt and you are done.

All part numbers available.

bro. d

Attachments

• IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 14

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Good belt drive system 1613854916428.png :devil:

Darius

Reaction score
48 Austin,

Whose toy is that? What's it in? It looks like a 6-71 with a mid sized blower pulley. My guess would be about 6 to 8 pounds of boost depending on altitude and parts. Am I close?

bro. "love forced induction," d

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
It's in this 1613869021170.png Good? Me theen so Queeksdraw :D ! V671 or V871. Not traditional 671 or 871.

Last edited:

Darius

Reaction score
I'm reminded of the "pick-up line" that served a friend of mine very well back in the day. He would walk up to a new young lady and say, "Lay down, I think I love you!" I'm tempted say the same thing to that Cadillac, but its already pretty low, while definitely being sexy!

bro. "tell me it's yours and that I can have a ride," d (... which sounds like what Butch use to say, before he got shot.)

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Definitely couldn't disagree with that @48Austin !

@Darius You wouldn't happen to know what year or sized engine Taurus would you? If you also have that water pump pulley model you would have saved me $300 in pulleys and for this I shall be in your debt (meaning I can owe you a good favor of a machining variety :cool: )

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Because I'm not that lazy I kept looking through old threads. You guys really are something amazing.

I made a serpentine setup using 2 Ford pulleys. The crank pulley is off of a 1993-2005 3.0L V6 Sable/Taurus. The part# is F3026A312A the number on the pulley is F3DE6A312B (The number on the pulley is NOT the part#).

I had to open the center hole to fit the CADs balancer and elongate 3 of the holes about .035, the fourth hole had to be offset because of the Cads offset bolt pattern.

The waterpump pulley is off of a 1981-1990 Fullsize Ford 5.0L (NOT a Mustang) I had to elongate the the holes about .015 outward but, the center hole is correct. The alternator is easy enough to move where you need it. I made a .250 thick aluminum plate that mounts off the waterpump bolts for a GM R4 A/C compressor, I also mounted a Ford idler pulley to this plate that lets the belt engage the A/C pulley with more contact. I am not running pwr.str. If I were not running A/C I would not have needed the idler. This setup is very clean and looks like GM installed it. The pulleys lined up PERFECT and did not have to be shimmed in or out.

Darius

Reaction score
For a very nice looking, aluminum store bought water pump pulley: Coming to you by way of Brother Dwayne, otherwise known as 53 Studillac.

bro. d

"From Lextech:

OK Guys-- You can thank Dwayne-53Studillac for this. He talked to March pulleys and it turns out there is a number hand engraved on the back of the water pump pulley. I took the pulley off this morning and the number is 2004, which is what March told Dwayne they thought it would be."

Attachments

• CADDY POSSIBLE SERPENTINE WITH A-C.jpg
    CADDY POSSIBLE SERPENTINE WITH A-C.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 19
  • CADILLAC DWAYNE SERPENTINE - FRONT.jpg
    CADILLAC DWAYNE SERPENTINE - FRONT.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 19

Darius

Reaction score
Yes, that's the one. Gee, how surprising, costs have gone up!!

bro. "that's what I have," d

Boltonius

Reaction score
1978 Cadillac DeVille; 1965 Bus with Cad 500
So.. I've been trying for two years to get a local guy to make me a pair of serpentine pulleys for my Cadillac V8. It's in an RV converted school bus which has no power steering or AC, but the current scheme of a 9335 belt hackneyed onto the crank and waterpump pulleys so the larger sheive can turn the alternator is.. not working out. All I want is a three point accessory drive, preferrably with an 8 row serpentine belt.

I've proffered a hand full of hundreds, yet still no pulleys except an incorrect prototype crank pulley.

I think this thread has just saved me a small fortune, and also saved me ever having to do head gaskets again due to the inadequate cooling after the 9335 belt slacks off after 150 miles of turning that 150 amp alternator. Cooling fan is electric, so it doesn't even have to turn that, it's still wholly inadequate.

Buying pulleys right now. Status: HYPED.

Boltonius

Reaction score
1978 Cadillac DeVille; 1965 Bus with Cad 500
A 6 groove serpentine system is easy and inexpensive. A crank pulley from a wrecking year Taurus, a store bought water pump pulley (part number available), two or more idler pulleys from NAPA, followed by a piece of string, or 1 inch wide masking tape, to determine what length of belt and you are done.

All part numbers available.

bro. d
Looking at the pic of just the three point drive-crank, water pump and alternator-is the alternator the same pulley position fore and aft as the stock alternator? That's what I have, and I'm good with keeping it and using the alternator pivot to tension the belt just like the original setup. Making sure before I head to the wrecking yard.