I hate crushing these motors

v8440

Reaction score
We have a '73 coupe deville that's about to bite the big one.  The 472 is still in the car, minus the carburetor.  I don't suppose anyone wants it, do they?  If anyone could commit to coming here to Montgomery, AL and pulling it reasonably soon, I'd let them get the motor for $40, motor and trans for $60.  It would be an easy pull, since the car is about to be crushed.  I could use the forklift and basically just peel the fenders and core support away from the motor if someone wanted to save it. 

If anyone's interested, call me asap at (334) 309-4899 and let me know.  (My name is Neil)  I'll set the car aside for a couple of hours at least to give you guys a chance to read this and respond if needed.

v8440

Reaction score
Update:  The motor is a '71.  Using what I just learned in the thread I started about porting a stock intake, I went and cleaned up the numbers stamped in the block at the left rear.  The first digit is 6 and the second digit is 1.  I guess that proves both that this engine is a '71, and also that cadillac used the newer numbering scheme in at least some 1971 model cars. 

Sure enough, the intake manifold does not have provisions for egr.  I'll gank the manifold if none of you guys buys the engine, but I'd rather sell the motor to someone that will save it.

dave brode

Reaction score
Neil,

Iven if someone doesn't want it, the heads would be worth grabbing. It would be a shame to at least not keep them from going. It's nice to have a spare set to do porting on, then swap them on...

the 68-73 heads are also nice to have if a 10-1 or higher compression is desired. with the later large chamber heads, it's tough to get even 9-1 with a flat top.

Dave

v8440

Reaction score
Ok, shiftless got to me first.  At this point it's spoken for unless something changes.  I do sometimes have cars with these motors come through the yard without someone buying the motor.  I can start posting a thread like this whenever that happens if you guys want.  In fact, I can start posting whenever something interesting first hits the yard, like the '68 coupe deville that will go out in the next few days.

STDog

Reaction score
v8440 said:
commit to coming here to Montgomery, AL and pulling it reasonably soon, I'd let them get the motor for $40, motor and trans for $60.

v8440 said:
I can start posting a thread like this whenever that happens if you guys want.  In fact, I can start posting whenever something interesting first hits the yard, like the '68 coupe deville that will go out in the next few days.

If only Montgomery was a 100 miles closer...

v8440

Reaction score
Doug, I probably would never get around to shipping them.  As it is, the buyer must come pull them.  We're a do-it-yourself yard.

v8440

Reaction score
Well, that one turned out to be a bust.  Shiftless showed up and started pulling sparkplugs out.  LOTS of water came out of at least one cylinder, so it was pretty much fubar.  He got the exhaust manifolds and HEI distributor someone had stuck in there, and sold my buddy the ported intake.  I'll probably still announce any 472/500's here that we're about to crush, and continue to offer them for stupidly low prices just to keep them out of the crusher.

chevrelac

Reaction score
If you happen to get a 500 rear sump oil pan with pickup tube, I'd like to hear from you as long as you don't want a fortune for it :D

shiftless

Reaction score
Yeah, Neil sold me a pair of pristine RWD exhaust manifolds for $10 and an HEI distributor for $8. I sold his buddy a ported stock intake for his Chevelle project. It was a three hour drive down there and back but the gas money was paid for by the intake, so no big deal on the motor being trash. Overall had a good time and would do it again if the right parts come into the yard for the right price!

v8440

Reaction score
Resurrecting this INCREDIBLY old thread, I'd drifted away, but now I'm back. I live in Iowa now, but I still like cadillacs. I have a '74 buick apollo and a '75 trashed eldo convertible with a good running 500. Plan is to put 500 in buick...

Darius

Reaction score
Welcome back!

There are fewer of us here now but we’re still demented enough to enjoy the big Cadillac engines.

Question: are you the guy that Shiftless knew who dealt with VGT turbos?

bro. d