Hot rods and the Virus

peter phillips

Reaction score
A long time ago ,late 60’s I suppose, I was a punk kid street racer .I hung out at Harveys in Lakeview ,Cawthra and Lakeshore Rd to be exact .I drove a 66 big block Chevelle with a 4 gear .It was reasonably fast ,a 12 second car .

But it was what we did back then ,Lakeview boys at Harvey's on Lakeshore ,Long Branch guys at the Red Cabin, New Toronto at Harvey's on the Queensway and then of course Harvey's at Jane and the 401 ,home of the hot ones or so they thought .You can buy a T shirt “Home of the Hot Ones “ to this day .The rivalries between the burger joints was strong .

We hung out, checked out each other’s cars ,made some friends ,made some enemies and we street raced .Watch the movie American Graffiti ,it’s bang on ,including the car crashes .

Now over 50 years later ,hanging out at the local burger joint has evolved into the weekly cruise night .We do a lot of similar stuff at the weekly cruise that we did way back then ,minus the street racing or other semi illegal stuff .Now we sit in lawn chairs and lie to each other .

However to do it we have an “event “ at a “venue “ ,we have sponsors ,door prizes ,50/50 raffles ,a designated charity ,insurance ,authorized food vendors ,oldies music ,sometimes live bands , event T shirts to show our loyalty and a few other things I cant remember .

My point is that its all so organized and structured .It didn’t start out that way .

Now along comes this nasty virus and everything is shut down ,totally .And I’m not talking just about the car cruises and shows here . Hell I’m supposed to be hiding at home in my basement cause I’m too old ,over 70 .Go home old man you are at risk .

Well guess what dickie ,I didn’t get to this age by accident or by living my life scared .I lived through the annual summertime polio scares and the almost daily atomic bomb scares that were flying around when I was a kid .I had to get under my desk at school when we had the “bomb warnings “ .So I’m not stupid though when it comes to this virus but I’m not scared and hiding in my basement .I didn’t get polio (a couple of kids I knew did ) and my ass wasn’t incinerated by an atomic bomb .

I’m out driving my hot rod now ,several times a week in fact ,no events to go to ,so the wanderings are aimless .Like it used to be in some ways .If no one was at the burger joint I would drive on or be the only car on the lot .

It was almost organic the way it started and then lived on for many years and finally became organized and structured .Organic was gone .Maybe organized is gone now too .

Hopefully things will improve ,somehow the vaccine will be found and we will crawl back to normal .

In the meantime I’m not going to waste a summer and stare at my car all day .

I’m going to go out and drive it .And maybe I can give a wave to another hot rodder as he goes by .

I’m done . PeterRoxy pic II.jpg

Darius

Reaction score
Peter, you young man, you. You say you're done, well I say "you've done well!"

bro. (older than you, BUT with the same attitude. Drive em'!!) d

Happy Fourth Everybody!!

peter phillips

Reaction score
Hi Darius . I'm just done writing on that particular subject . I'm still banging gears and annoying the neighbours and I intend to do so for a while yet . Sometimes it can be hard work carrying the redneck white trash banner .
I am well , very well , as are my family .I'm a very fortunate guy . How about you ? You need to get that Studebaker on the road . A good strong adrenalin rush helps keep a body healthy .