Hope i dont get shot at,but i have an efi question on a 454 chevy...

Discussion in 'Off Topic, B.S., Lounge' started by kzhurley, Feb 14, 2018.

1. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

Thanks for the input fellas...
    I may have used the word towing a little too loosely..lol. the extent of towing this truck would ever see is maybe once a month during the spring/summer towing a 3rd gen camaro to the track.. That way I can run both the truck and the camaro.. I have a 2500 454 suburban to do the real towing with.. This truck is too light duty to tow any real loads but too heavy to be fast. Lol.. So it's mostly a drive to work and haul junk.
    Issue is, to me I have to be able to enjoy something I'm stuck driving all the time.. I enjoy tire smoke. I enjoy getting up to the speed limit as fast as possible. I enjoy passing in very short passing areas. I enjoy buying gas.lol. truck has dual tanks. Fuel mileage is considered a benefit to me. I enjoy driving so I consider the cost of fuel as a resonable trade off to be able to stand on the loud pedal and going sideways for 300 ft at will...
    That is why I like large engines. They do all that stuff fairly easy with a little work.

8ad-f85 likes this.
  2. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

Not defending my posts... :) I was anticipating this ^^^^ as the way the vehicle was being used.
    I can see if towing an extended 1 ton dually with heavy trailer, then my contributions would seem unlikely to try.
    I do not expect you to lose any mpg over being cammed 10-15* shorter, unless you lug it at too low of an rpm (unlikely).
    Every post here has fantastic truth to it, and any differences are really in the details or use.
    I wouldn't spend the time converting to EFI , but that's because I have way too many other things to deal with in the big picture. It might be more beastly, who knows?

kzhurley likes this.
  3. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

In that case, aside from the EFI possibly not liking the LSA, imo, that cam will do VERY well.

I'd still run a heated intake. Alum, maybe, since even a lowly performer will outrun the iron over 4000.

Fwiw, I have an extra [buying frenzy] set of 1411-16 comp roller tip rockers if you are looking at them.

kzhurley and 8ad-f85 like this.
  4. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

One thing I haven't had the pleasure of is pushing limits with LSA and vacuum signal for EFI applications.
    The same aspects of the induction's ability to keep high velocity flow moving with larger than recommended cams also serve several side benefits.
    It will assist combustion in the form of better atomization, vaporization, and the net effect is higher manifold vacuum.
    I've briefly read about TBI users getting away with fairly large cams.
    LSA and overlap being kept in mind as a variable because of the actual size of the engine it's feeding and subsequently the net rpm range as a result.
    Oversimplified example being that a 114-116* LSA could have huge overlap in a cam having 300* @ .050" duration and .900" lift spec, as opposed to a 218* @.050" and .515" lift on a 106* having much less overlap.

5. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

Well... I came across a deal I couldn't turn down.. Lol.. Its a mercruiser 525 efi intake with an Arizona speed and marine lower oval port intake. Also picked up a holley 58mm throttle body for it. I think this may flow well enough to work out well hopefully..

It's an addiction....lol

Attached Files:

PJ McCoy and 8ad-f85 like this.
  6. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

Small update...
    Pulled heads and found a few cylinders scratched up.. So .030 overbore it is.. Going to get some 20cc dome marine hyper pistons that should bring compression up to 10.8 or so.
    Bought some 36# bosch injectors hoping I can stay under 80% duty cycle.
    Also considering ls coil near plug, but haven't decided yet..
    I really should be putting all this effort into my cad instead of my daily driver lol..

7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

It all comes down to "smiles per mile." ;)

d

8. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Correction. Smiles per hour . SPH.
    Yup that should it.
    Lol