Home made rocker systems

Darius

Reaction score
PROSTOCKTOM said:
I think he might have you on that one Darius :eek:wned:

That was a really good reply :devil:

Tom

Howdy Tom,

You are probably right. So I'll just concede defeat and make the man happy. Heck, we can all use a happy moment most days.

Best,

d

DaveM

Reaction score
Thanks Nick for your support. I made them years ago and still working fine. I also made a set for Jay , and last I knew he still had them in his truck. I bought a set-up with the buick rockers from MTS in the Al days.. They seamed to work fine , but I kept seeing pictures of them with the end of the rocker shaft broken at the mounting hole. After talking to Al I got the idea to make some shafts without holes and make the block clamp the shaft. Then after more problems with flat tappet cam I had JW make me a hyd roller.. Then I knew if I did not do something I was going to see the end of my shaft broke off.. So then I started to make my solid shaft design with clamp mounting blocks.. I spent many hours and dollars making them.. I over killed everything . I made the blocks out of 4140 and the shafts out of A2 drillrod hardened .. I am sure that the weakest part of the system are the bolts that bolt them to the head.. Or maybe the buick stamped rockers...There pictures of the ones I made for Jay on here somewhere...

Cadilllac CID

Reaction score
Still working perfect Dave :cloud9: I have a set of MT #20 cam valve springs under them and they are perfect no issue at all and I use my truck a lot. thank you again :D

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
There is only one person I know that made a successful home made rocker system; Terry, and he is very special. Even Terry in the end purchased an MTS system and said it was better. You look at the price of the MTS system and you may think it is expensive but if you look at other shaft rockers systems (for other cars) you will see it is in the ballpark and very well made to boot. Also it is an exact fit and does not require any machine work but it does require a but more room than the stock valve covers.

TED

bugzaper

Reaction score
This is really interesting.
I have never said one word about "MTS" rocker systems being expensive or not getting the job done.
I guess maybe it's just implied, I really don't know.
All I wanted to see is what others have / are using, that's it. :reading:

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
I was not implying that you were, I guess I was assuming that anybody that wanted to make their own rocker system was doing so to save a buck. At least this was the main reason that people tried to do this in the past. I really admire those who were able to make it work; I know that I do not have the skill to do so.

There were also a couple of cheaper commercial units in the past but either they were non-adjustable or lesser quality, or both.

TED

pila78

Reaction score
I have access to, & experience in machine shops etc, but figure my time is worth something also, so I didn't venture into making my own set-up. So, at the time I needed a better than stock set, I bought the Potter set-up w/Comp Cam rockers, quite some time ago. Hope they stay together for a reasonable amount of time. Besides that,MTS rockers are pretty ! :D

DaveM

Reaction score
If I remember right Maddog had some very bad luck with a few of the best systems out there. I think it had a lot to do with not running caddy motor in his boat...

Reaction score
Since I wound up with his solid roller cam I'm hoping it works with the MTS adjustable rockers in this.

Attachments

• IMGA0026.jpg
    IMGA0026.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 3,081

Nick Campagna

Reaction score
Cadilllac CID said:
Still working perfect Dave :cloud9: I have a set of MT #20 cam valve springs under them and they are perfect no issue at all and I use my truck a lot. thank you again :D

What are the specs on those springs ? If the Buick rockers work with them, that says a lot for the stock rockers. I wonder if bored out and / or bushed Cadillac rockers would survive like that.

dave brode

Reaction score
Might be some repeat links...

Stock rockers, machined for through shafts.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12224&p=129717&hilit=rocker+bronze#p129717

Terry's homemade stud setup, and geardrive's support. Note that iirc, Terry used longer than stock valves, which allowed room for normal hex studs and full rollers, rather than the "cheater" style [no hex] and ball type rockers that potter used.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12154&p=128994&hilit=shaft+rockers+rocker+arm#p128994

Other threads.

Interesting stuff on oiling shafts by Bill [533];

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6243&hilit=rocker+bronze

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15881&p=166965&hilit=rocker+options#p166965

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15538&p=163395&hilit=shaft+rockers+rocker+arm#p163395

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6243&p=67128&hilit=shaft+rockers+rocker+arm#p67128

Remember, the sb fords will work with fulcrum centered on the tee bolt holes. Terry posted the dimension, but I can't find it.

dave brode

Reaction score
On the subject: I have dinked with LS chev rockers, maybe doable on a plate. I'll get back to it *one* day.

I'm talking stuff for mild cams, and cheap to do. If you can make something better than stock rockers, that'll let you use say an MTS#20 or equiv w/o worry, great. But, if you would get up into the $300-$400 range doing it, you might as well pony up and get Marty's shafts imo.

I've also looked at olds stock rockers, which should be ok for not too fast ramp mid .5xx cams. They might work on a plate. Although their valve to valve C/L is not as wide as on a caddy, so their shared hold-down bridge that keeps the rockers aligned would need to be modified.

Aftermarket replacement olds rockers. Note the steel bridge. Stock is cast alum. Not sure how hard the aftermarket steel bridge would be. If not too hard, maybe it could be spread. The bases could be cut shorter to lower the rockers closer to a plate. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1242-16/overview/

I've also looked at stock sb ford rockers for a mild cam deal. They are not that different than olds, except no bridge. One version has square bases, which might work with a slot cut into the top of a plate. Their bases could be cut shorter too. Some stock fords are rail type [align on valve top]. Potter used roller tip rail type on his plate. Fwiw, imo, they really aren't much better than a stock rocker, and much more pricey.

I have little hope that ANY plate system would work without cutting the tee pads on the heads.

Dave

bugzaper

Reaction score
Thanks "Dave" this is what I was hoping for. A thread to read and understand a bit more as to the uniqueness "folks" have experienced with Cadillac's valve train design.
That's it.

caddycarlo

Reaction score
Thought I would add mine to this thread...

Made this in like 1995 .... the shaft is solid the bottom plates are stainless Steel ..shaft support are aluminum..used clips on the end of the shaft ..rockers are custom made to my specs by crower cams and are steel

Attachments

• 14880776288760.jpg
    14880776288760.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 14880777065822.jpg
    14880777065822.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 330

caddycarlo

Reaction score
I built and ran the rockers with a solid cam ..it did very well

Attachments

• 14880780499125.jpg