HEI pickup Replacement???

k10caddy

Reaction score
well, went to install that crane ign box, got everything hooked up (correctly?). and it appears that box isn't getting a signal from the pickup, inside the distributor. both pickup wires are the same color.  there are 2 different size spade female connectors, one a 1/4" and the other a 3/16". I've tried it connected each way.... but nothing. I hope the box isn't bad. or

I'm wondering if anyone knows for certain which is Mag+ and which is supposed to be Mag-.???

if it's the pickup then can that be replaced w/o pulling the distributor? if it's not possible then how much of a pain is it to re-install?, with either scenario if the oil pump drive stays in the oil pump or if it comes up with the distributor? or does the strong likelyhood that neither will happen and it goes into the oil pan?

seems like everything goes wrong all at once. :irked: :banghead: :cursing:

Chris S

Reaction score
The oil pump drive should not fall into the oil pan, I've pulled 3 and none fell.

Getting the dist and drive to line back on install might be a different story?

Dv8

pageboy

Reaction score
There's no way the oil pump drive can fall out into the pan. It won't even come up through the hole in the block it goes through between the pump and the distributor. The only way to get it out is to take the pump down.

brian

Reaction score
Its easy to test the pickup with an ohmeter. resitance should be 500--1500 ohms.
also it should be infinity to ground.
FYI-- Those pickup coils rarely give problems, check your wiring and your grounds.  If the pickup coil is bad you have to remove the dist. to replace it. Also be carefull when seperating the housing from the shaft , it works good to spray some carb cleaner into the housing once you have the gear off to make pulling out the shaft much easier.
Brian

k10caddy

Reaction score
ok,good to know about the pump drive. but... that still leaves the pickup... as far as resistance is that from one lead to the other? or one wire to ground or what? any idea how to actually test to make sure that the pickup is generating a signal? and if a DMM is used, what am I looking for?
which is + and which is -? looks like I'll be calling Crane once I get up...   maybe I should've bought an MSD box... :beer: If all else fails (before actually replacing the pickup) I'll put the module and wire it back together. sumbeach. :banghead: they even changed their technical help line and didn't bother to change it on the booklet that came with the box. :banghead: :banghead:

cadillac512

Reaction score
Measure the pickup resistance from one lead to the other.As for the signal,when spinning the distributor you should get approx 1.5-2.5 volts AC on the meter.An analog meter works best,but digital is ok if you watch closely.
  Terry

k10caddy

Reaction score
thanks for info on testing the pickup... it tested out fine.
I took out the box and reconnected the coil and module and it fired right up. :censored:
  now I get to send the box back to 'em for a replacement. though who knows how long that'll take.
oh well, least I learned how test an hei magnetic pickup.   lol