GEVO marine and (now) aviation fuels

bugzaper

Reaction score
This is an exciting read and if all goes well which it appears will happen maybe we are on the verge of a new high performance fuel alternative.
I spoke with one of their fuel distributors today and he is very excited about the airlines use of their new fuel.
Now I'm not a chemist by no (or is it any...) means but, from what I gather from him and our converstaion this could be a real break through for us car enthusiasts types.
He is all ready selling the fuel which is priced at $4.00 a gallon and has a octane rating of 95 with "NO ETHANOL" whatsoever and told me he can't keep enough of it on hand.
I'm going to try some here in the near future and we'll see. :scratchchin:

Update:
One more thing I just learned (I mean in the last few minutes), here in the Ozarks in Missouri at one of the largest lake marinas the fuel is now begin sold and reportedly they can't get enough to satisfy. This potentially could be a problem but, in new product and growth stages you'll have this.
Also, stock is at a rock bottom of .35 cents a share. But, from reports it appears that it could be a very desirable stock (we all now how the stock market goes...) and many are watching the "Alaskan Airlines" flights going on today.

http://ir.gevo.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=2386 ... ID=2222130

bugzaper

Reaction score
Monzallac 425 said:
Looks like it will be sold at Total gas stations, ( 92 and 95 octane blended fuel) for cars.

http://www.Total.com

Doug in P.R. :quoties:

"Yes" the guy I'm in contact with said the biggest hurdle is getting it into the main stream market and of course dealing with the big oil companies.
It appears to be promising! :thumbup:

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
Interesting.

Marinas and airports are not exactly known for competitive pricing or being happy about lettings 'outsiders' in to buy fuel.

bugzaper

Reaction score
"GOOD LORD" I just ran a few gallons in my rebuilt 425 and I simply can't believe the new found power!!! :eek:
"Folks" this ain't no "B.S." this stuff works and reminds me of the ole sweet smelling, pink colored high octane fuel!!!
I'm going to do more research on this stuff.
I have sent "Alaskan Airlines" an e-mail asking how the flight went and what their opinions are and hopefully will get positive feedback.
This is very promising!

bugzaper

Reaction score
73eldoconvert said:
Interesting.

Marinas and airports are not exactly known for competitive pricing or being happy about lettings 'outsiders' in to buy fuel.
"Yes" you are right!
From what I am gathering and have spoken (talked...) with several boat shops here, they and the sole marina here is absolutely sold on this stuff and can't keep it in stock!
The boat shops are saying that the engines, sparks plugs, carbs, fuel lines, fuel tanks are all clean as a whistle with not a sign of corrosion or rubber rot.

bugzaper

Reaction score
At .35 a share, may be the time to purchase some. :scratchchin:

pila78

Reaction score
This is gasoline, right ?? So what would the airlines use gas for ! All the airlines I know of are turbine engine airplanes...Jet A fuel...except for some small twin engine gas burners for charter and some small town feeder lines etc...

8ad-f85

Reaction score
Not to take away from the thread but if you have noticeable 'new found power' from this fuel, you have been running it with serious tuning issues on your previous fuel.

bugzaper

Reaction score
8ad-f85 said:
Not to take away from the thread but if you have noticeable 'new found power' from this fuel, you have been running it with serious tuning issues on your previous fuel.
Could be.

bugzaper

Reaction score
pila78 said:
This is gasoline, right ?? So what would the airlines use gas for ! All the airlines I know of are turbine engine airplanes...Jet A fuel...except for some small twin engine gas burners for charter and some small town feeder lines etc...

http://www.gevo.com/our-markets/jet-fuel/
Today I spoke with a representative from "Alaskan Airlines" who told me that they are very pleased with the performance of the new bio-blended fuel.

bugzaper

Reaction score
bugzaper said:
8ad-f85 said:
Could be.
All I can say is that the truck no longer bucks, snorts and dies with this fuel as it was doing with the recentethanol blends this area has received.
And, after taking a quart jar and pouring this blended fuel into it, letting it set for several days it does not separate like ethanol will do with large amounts of water on the bottom of the jar.
I'm sold. :yes:

bugzaper

Reaction score
Update:

Today received another message from an "Alaskan Airlines" public representative who stated that they are very pleased with the new bio-fuel and will be purchasing it again in the very near future.
In not so many words I was told that a contract is in the works with "GEVO."
Also, "Lufthansa Airlines" has already signed on with a multi-million gallon contract.
Sounds promising and well worth watching!

Darius

Reaction score
http://oracledispatch.com/2016/10/20/pr ... asdaqgevo/
October 20, 2016
“Gevo, Inc. (NASDAQ:GEVO) fortunes could be changing soon. On Oct. 11, the company announced that it had completed production of the world’s first cellulosic renewable jet fuel for commercial flights. The way it works is the following – the company converts cellulosic sugars from wood waste into renewable isobutanol, which then gets converted into Gevo’s Alcohol-to-Jet (ATJ) fuel. The company has now produced 1,000 gallons of cellulosic ATJ.”
-----
“In addition to Alaska Airlines, the company is also in ongoing talks with Lufthansa Airlines for the commercial supply of renewable jet fuel. That tentative agreement with Lufthansa is for the purchase of 8 million gallons of jet fuel per year over the course of 5 years. Shareholders are anxious to see if this deal will come to fruition any time soon.”

https://article.wn.com/view/2016/09/07/ ... mmercial_/
"ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Sept. 07, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gevo, Inc. (NASDAQ:GEVO), announced today that it has entered into a heads of agreement with Deutsche Lufthansa AG (“Lufthansa”) to supply Gevo’s alcohol-to-jet fuel (ATJ) from its first … "

d

bugzaper

Reaction score
Darius said:
http://oracledispatch.com/2016/10/20/pragmatic-look-gevo-inc-nasdaqgevo/
October 20, 2016
“Gevo, Inc. (NASDAQ:GEVO) fortunes could be changing soon. On Oct. 11, the company announced that it had completed production of the world’s first cellulosic renewable jet fuel for commercial flights. The way it works is the following – the company converts cellulosic sugars from wood waste into renewable isobutanol, which then gets converted into Gevo’s Alcohol-to-Jet (ATJ) fuel. The company has now produced 1,000 gallons of cellulosic ATJ.”
-----
“In addition to Alaska Airlines, the company is also in ongoing talks with Lufthansa Airlines for the commercial supply of renewable jet fuel. That tentative agreement with Lufthansa is for the purchase of 8 million gallons of jet fuel per year over the course of 5 years. Shareholders are anxious to see if this deal will come to fruition any time soon.”

https://article.wn.com/view/2016/09/07/ ... mmercial_/
"ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Sept. 07, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gevo, Inc. (NASDAQ:GEVO), announced today that it has entered into a heads of agreement with Deutsche Lufthansa AG (“Lufthansa”) to supply Gevo’s alcohol-to-jet fuel (ATJ) from its first … "

"Thanks" for the additional web site info..

d

pila78

Reaction score
Very interesting ! I guess I didn't understand what the process was. I wonder if it's a cleaner burning fuel. Most of the turbine engines I worked on were soot generators, specially the old GE and Pratt engines on biz jets...

bugzaper

Reaction score
Updated:

In the last few days GEVO stock went from a penny stock at around .20 a share to over $5.00 a share!
Keeping on eye on this one! :eyepopping:

pila78

Reaction score
Hopefully the stuff turns out to be a great fuel in place of fosil (sp) stuff... I always hated jet fuel.
Working on fuel systems & tanks and having that stinkin' stuff run down the arm & into arm pits etc. It doesn't wash off the first time around & still stinks !! :grumpy:
I wonder how the new stuff is to work with & how much it stinks !! :D