GEARS or TORQUE CONVERTER?

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Dave you make it seem really easy. Ive got a nice caliper and a dial indicator set thats nice. Its old but very good quality.
At the salvage yard. Will the tools you described in the above post be enough? As i understand all i needs is.
Regular hand tools for c clip removal and diff. With spacers.
Big pipe wrench and breaker bar. Ive got all that.
Is the pinion nut 1.25" im not sure. My socket set only goes to 1-1/8
I really hope it doesnt rain Friday. Calling for rain.

Side question. Has nothing to do with rear gear. My see through fuel filter was pulsing bad. Ive never seen this before. After i drove the car for about an hr
Came home at idle the fuel filter was almost empty. For 10 min. It stayed like that. Turned the engine off. It filled up? The fuel supply line still pulsed after the engine was off. Im confused.

Darius

Reaction score
Side question. Has nothing to do with rear gear. My see through fuel filter was pulsing bad. Ive never seen this before. After i drove the car for about an hr
Came home at idle the fuel filter was almost empty. For 10 min. It stayed like that. Turned the engine off. It filled up? The fuel supply line still pulsed after the engine was off. Im confused.
Is your tank vented??

d

dave brode

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's 1 & 1/4" [the 8.2" rear's nut is smaller]
Big pipe wrench or equiv to hold the pinion while getting the nut off.
A 2 jaw puller is nice to pull the pinion, but you can bash it off with a hammer]
A piece of brass alum etc to nudge the pinion gear back out of the bearings.
A BIG hammer and screwdrivers to bash the drums off if they are stuck.
Pry bar to wiggle the carrier out of the housing
5/8"? socket for carrier cap bolts
small sockets [?] for center pin bolt.
small magnet for c-clips

Find a rebuild video on you tube, it'll show hot to R&R

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's 1 & 1/4" [the 8.2" rear's nut is smaller]
Big pipe wrench or equiv to hold the pinion while getting the nut off.
A 2 jaw puller is nice to pull the pinion, but you can bash it off with a hammer]
A piece of brass alum etc to nudge the pinion gear back out of the bearings.
A BIG hammer and screwdrivers to bash the drums off if they are stuck.
Pry bar to wiggle the carrier out of the housing
5/8"? socket for carrier cap bolts
small sockets [?] for center pin bolt.
small magnet for c-clips

Find a rebuild video on you tube, it'll show hot to R&R
Thanks Dave. Looking forward to this week end. Friday looks like rain all day.

Darius

Reaction score
PJ,

A quick way to check is when the fuel filter is pulsing hop out and remove the fuel cap. Check the filter and if the pulsing, throbbing :) has stopped you'll have a good indicator of the problem. If no change, look elsewhere.

Best,

d

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
You so smart. Me so tupid. :laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbup:
Thats funny. Should have thought about that. Really sometimes we just dont think.
Heres your sign:whistle::whistle::whistle:
:crap: 4 brains. Lol

PJ

8ad-f85

Reaction score
Quit being tough on yourself, even if it's self deprecating humor.
I bet the suggestion was inspired by the frustration of (us, or anyone?) not being able to actually be there to see it as it happens, and then bing...the light bulb goes off.
When you hear of those stories about a broken throttle cable and the other guy on the engine 'driving' the hoodless car around, well...some of us could have been those people (in our youth).

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Quit being tough on yourself, even if it's self deprecating humor.
I bet the suggestion was inspired by the frustration of (us, or anyone?) not being able to actually be there to see it as it happens, and then bing...the light bulb goes off.
When you hear of those stories about a broken throttle cable and the other guy on the engine 'driving' the hoodless car around, well...some of us could have been those people (in our youth).
Hahahaha. Im light on myself and full of good humor. Sometimes ya just gotta see it for what it is. I often tend to over complicate things. Like my world isnt complicated enough.
Peter wins again. Sit back and dmoke a little smoke sip a little sip. Then lime you daid. The lights goes off.
Thanks for the support.

Darius

Reaction score
Hahahaha. Im light on myself and full of good humor. Sometimes ya just gotta see it for what it is. I often tend to over complicate things. Like my world isnt complicated enough.
Peter wins again. Sit back and dmoke a little smoke sip a little sip. Then lime you daid. The lights goes off.
Thanks for the support.
I'll have what he's having!!

d

8ad-f85

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you are going about that other business, so don't mind me...I'll be that dimly lit cigarette in the corner of the room.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
OH BOY thats funny. I really need to proof read. reads like i was high on something. lol. Often most of my post are from my phone. OH brother D I love the way you HIGH-LIGHTED that section of the post. You gave the best laugh of the day. Thank You so Much
85' you subtle yet weak to knees justs adds to this hilairity.(made that up, Looks to political to me. OH i could really talk that word to fun place, But i digress)

Many Thanks to you both today. What a great way to start a day!!
click on link below http://www.soundboard.com/sb/sound/4547

I enjoy going to this for lots of laughs. Type ANYTHING in the search bar and enjoy the audio
PJ

Roy Heisenberg

The 472 Crank is stronger due to overlap
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
472 Caddy in a ‘75 Jeep J-20 TH-400 Dana-60 100LL
So i must have been a very good boy this year. I found lots a dough in my stockings,
(Thanks mom, dad, mother-in-law ((yup you read that right)) and wife)
Steel is ordered for the weld sub frame connectors.
And I can get gears or torque converter.
1..Gears: Ive never done it. Dont know what special tool i will need. Can they be rented? Whats needed to the job?
I want 3.55 i have 3.08 now posi. 8.5 10 bolt

2. Stall converter. Ive been reading about these since Ive been building the motor. Yank can have me one for 845.00. Custom for my ride. 5% efficiency losse at cruise. Tight on the cruise side and loose at W.O.T. they say stall will be 3200. For the top end. But still tight for cruise due to smaller diameter converter. 10 inch.
With 3.08 im at 2500 at 70mph. Doesnt look right to me.
Getting one built by ATI and rev max are around 350 ish. Both these companies said nearly the same thing.
22-2800 stall built tight in the middle ( how i dont know yet, waiting for email)
Based off my car weight, rear gear, estimated torque range from cam profile. ATI said 22-2600 and Rev Max said 24-2800. My concern is will the off the shelf type converter be ok. The custom converters are extremely expensive. Ive told everyone. Im not racing. I did mention a rear gear uprade in the future to 3.50 Yank was the only one who stated they back there converter and workmanship. Also that it would be just fine and would wake the car up later as well woth the gear change.

The rear gear calculator gives me a rear wheel torque multiplication of over 35% increase at the tire in final drive.

My thought was the torque converter getting me into the power range now and let the torque make up the difference for the 3.08.
I can change a converter easier than a rear gear. I also dig through craigslist to pick up a complete rear with 3.42 or 3.50/55 gear. Just havent seen any for $2-300.00 all day for 125 but 2.90 gears or less.

Whatcha think? Gear or converter.
Please explain to me why? Thanks
PJ
Edit: the rear gear increase was not 30% its 15% my apologies. I miss read the chart. You can see it in the post below.
Howdy:

Go for the Yank converter! It will launch way harder.

Regards,
Roy

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Howdy:

Go for the Yank converter! It will launch way harder.

Regards,
Roy
Ive decided to go with a switch pitch set up. After alot of thought; Im very excited about the idea of cruising with "stock type" stall and being able to launch with a much higher stall. Just waiting for a phone call. For me that will be the best of both worlds.
PJ.
I do agree that Yank is a great choice.

Roy Heisenberg

The 472 Crank is stronger due to overlap
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
472 Caddy in a ‘75 Jeep J-20 TH-400 Dana-60 100LL
So, if he goes with the switch-pitch converter, which one is the best and most bomb-proof ?