Fresh build with Turbo intent.

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Red98422, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

I know E-85 is an excellent fuel, however for my purposes wouldn’t be ideal

Because it takes 30% more volume to run equivalently it would make my useable fuel level a bit shy of 6gals approximately.

I don’t have a nearby supply of it either. Which is a problem for me because my intention is for it to see some street action.

Roy Heisenberg likes this.
  2. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Double post

3. Roy Heisenberg

Roy Heisenberg The 472 Crank is stronger due to overlap

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    472 Caddy in a ‘75 Jeep J-20 TH-400 Dana-60 100LL
    81005C23-49CE-4751-A659-BD9BB8CCAC5D.png Howdy,

Found some mirror image turbo units for you, and the come in 72mm or 88mm....

Enjoy !

4. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Ahh yes the twins. Problem number one for that particular setup...the cost. it is NRE afterall so huge mark up for a brand name.

For my goals a single in about a 75-80mill would be ideal. Thinking that a 1.1AR T6 twin scroll should keep her happily nearby the island.

When you start to get to bigger turbos, at least with the maps/math I’ve used twins of that size really don’t plot well with an engine similar to what I’m building.

now for something like Cadmans engine that’s a different animal entirely. I haven’t done the math on his specific engine, however an incredibly well built Cadillac engine on here (Sean) that’s actually not nearly as built up is running a 109mm(ish) single!

All this said Roy, are you yourself interested in turbos? If you are then best thing you can do for yourself is reasearch....lots and lots of reasearch

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  5. Cad Man

Cad Man Active Member

I cant do maps. Hahahahaha
    Can you run my setup and give me feed back ?

CH is gonna help me pick but still he is old school to a point

6. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Won’t be a problem. I usually do them by hand as well. Others here are also really good with it as well so I’ll post up what I come up so others can chime in/correct if I make some errors

7. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

It completely possible that my map plot will be off the rocker, however at the very least should provide some vauge guideline of where your at/going with the combo. I’ll work up the plots sometime in the AM after looking through your thread for the data needed. I’ll post those in your thread for your future reference/amusement.

8. Roy Heisenberg

Ummm. Ok, so I will admit that twin turbo action seems cool, but it will most likely take me 4 or 5 years of learning to get there... Ever since I saw that twin turbo Caddy run 415, I have been hooked. Your advice is solid, and I will continue to do lots of research. If it all goes well, I will have a Big Block Caddy in the 200 mile per hour club, and then I get get one of those blue caps like Pops has.

Thanks again for your good ideas, time and consideration.

Dreaming of the Bonneville Salt Flats,
    Bro. Roy

9. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Oh twins are undoubtedly cool, and not a whole lot harder to understand, just a whole lot more complicated to plumb/route and mount. (Depending on space).

I am myself a “novice” as I have only owned a few cars turbo powered and only highly modified one....which I promptly scattered (I didn’t understand AFR or proper selection yet) so here are a couple links to get you started on the path of boost

https://www.theturboforums.com/info...ork-theory-intercooling-and-much-more.366081/

Here is one a bit more simplified

https://www.musclecardiy.com/performance/match-turbocharger-engine-step-step-guide/

Here is the build thread of Sean and his trials before he got himself in the 200club

https://cadillacmagazine.com/forums/threads/updates-on-the-70-turbo-cad.7625/

USSCADY and Roy Heisenberg like this.
  10. Roy Heisenberg

Wow. Those are great links. Starting to think my next big caddy built could wear twin turbo units...

Thanks for all the great ideas.

11. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Not a problem Roy, always happy to help others learn!

12. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

So there I was, minding my own business...when suddenly I was faced with the opportunity to purchase a prebuilt turbo manifold.

As I have great trust in the fab skill of this particular person I went ahead and pulled the trigger...and now all the math I had already done on the single setup and planned routing go out the window.

However as a bonus I will now have spots for two turbos!!!!! And the capacity for destroying my engine went up by at least 50% lol :D I’m just kidding of course.

This has lead me to realize that I do not have sufficient tuning skills carb wise to guarantee that I don’t hurt it while running twins. so I’ll be taking the throttle body EFI route....seems like the smart thing to do to me, but I am not good at computers I am however good with electrical so here’s to hoping...we shall see as the project...progresses.

ETA: photo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  13. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Another thing for anybody going down the road of boost, be aware that while using maps it’s possible to come across the “perfect” turbo...which you then find out run about $800 each, so be prepared for compromise as there will be at least one hitch while searching

14. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    What brand are you looking at?

15. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    What ever happened to Heisenberg?

16. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

I was mainly looking at Borgwarner and precision. Unfortunately the turbos that used to be on those manifolds aren’t exactly common and just trying to size up a reasonable twin setup without huge boost and trying to cut down on lag is not the cheapest endeavor.

Honestly I have no clue, profile states he hasn’t been here for quite some time. He’s not active on the FB pages either.

17. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

just for your viewing pleasure
    Maybe "Snacky" had her fill. Pun intended.

bro. d

kzhurley, Red98422 and 5one9 like this.
  18. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

I know a while back he said something about being in the Hawaiian Islands and I asked him where. He said on the North west side of Kauai. I told him that I was going to be there in a couple of weeks and we would have to get together. About a week later he said that he had moved to Folsom CA.
    Greg Surfas

Red98422 likes this.