Fresh build with Turbo intent.

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Red98422, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Howdy folks. So I am gathering parts for my build which will be eventually turboed (s400 style single) the question I have is when I build this what are the considerations I should keep in mind?

I know about ring gaps already, and I am going to be buying a forged bottom end for it.

I guess my main questions are should I just build it with the turbo already plumbed and running? Or do the break in and small amount of driving NA then put all of the turbo gear on?

There are some upgrades that I won’t be able to do...like main studs or cap straps (I’m running an eldo pan) anything else y’all can think of?

Roy Heisenberg likes this.
  2. Cad Man

Cad Man Active Member

With out main studs ..??

What's the rest of the motor going to look like ??

The eldo pan needs work as does the pickup tube. You need oil pressure to make it survive as well..

What's the power goal?

Courtney just dyno'd
    A 507 @ 8 psi and 9 to 1 with
    Pro Comp 120cc heads
    flat tappet hydraulic 238@.05 cam...

It made 787 hp @5500 . over 800 ft lbs @4600 ...but it had STUDS. And I think straps..

BTW it had KB pistons believe it or not

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  3. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

its good news that the pan can work with studs. I’ll be going that route then thank you

The rest of the motor
    120cc heads, might go with a ported offering from one of the vendors
    Shaft rockers
    Forged rod/piston combo (no idea on size or CR yet)
    Head studs
    Factory exhaust manifolds (coated)
    Single plane intake
    Cam: HFT undecided on specs

Goal is whatever it takes to break into the 9’s

I have put quite a bit of thought on the oil pump, I’m probably going to go with a belt drive wet sump similar to what you are running on the cadibucket

Roy Heisenberg and Roddinthcad like this.
  4. Cad Man

Cad Man Active Member

I sent you a pm

5. Cad Man

Cad Man Active Member

I would say dont waiste your money on the single plane. In the current casting they are a headache to fit and need porting anyway lots of it... if you come across a older Bulldog it's a better choice. Bigger runners. Bigger plenum. Bigger port openings. Less die grinder

A fully ported 2115 is gonna work pretty darn good anyway .. that dyno test was a 2115

Cadco has made in house prototype low rise single planes and done limited testing so far..

I am making mine 9 to 1..
    a Cadco 590 or 600h cam would be good..
    I know both are in stock items in 106 and 108. Maybe 110 lsa..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  6. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Pm replied

The single plane will be made by a member here and not the aluminum one from MTS. And honestly I like the look of single plane intakes.

Thank you for the cam advice that will be helpful!

I was messing around with a quarter mile calculator and at an estimated 2900lbs (it is a small car) I would “only” need about 675hp to be mid 9’s...unfortunately I can only fit a 28x10.5 tire in the back so should be fun finding traction

All that said what are your thoughts on doweling the mains without straps?

7. Cad Man

Cad Man Active Member

No good way to dowel them.
    Hollow dowels are just about useless
    And it wont solve flexing caps.

I wouldn't put too much stock in those estimators.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  8. Cad Man

Cad Man Active Member

With that Eldo trans setup in your backseat I bet you'll have traction plenty of it with slicks

9. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

I certainly hope I can get traction when I get to it I’ll have to fork over nearly $1000 for a Posi center section

I also don’t truly trust those calculators at best they’re a ballpark estimate I’m thinking 725ish should get me the 9.90 I’m hoping for

Roy Heisenberg and Roddinthcad like this.
  10. Roddinthcad

Roddinthcad New Member

Red98422--
    I tried to PM you but can't figure out how to do it. I am in the Spokane Wa. area and have a Cad powered hot rod. I am wondering what part of the state you are in--it might be fun to be in touch and compare notes. I am fairly new to modifying the Cad. but I am an experienced builder. I started out with a low milage 472 from my mother's 69 Caddy that I put in a 57 Ford I was building. Then I bought the mildly built 542 that Jeff Swartz was going to use on NOS t0 put his caddy into the 10's and I put that in the 57 and drove and raced it for a few years. Three years ago I built a hot rod pu for the 542 that is street legal--runs hard and straight and is a ton of fun. If you know how to pm me--please do that and give me your email so we can talk. Rod S5002362.JPG e3c5.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Roy Heisenberg and Red98422 like this.
  11. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Maaaaan!!!! Those are two sweet looking rides! I live in the tacoma area, I don’t have a problem comparing notes but all my info has come from lots (like a shit load, 4+hrs a weekend) of reasearch here in this fourm. And various turbo forums/articles.

Looks like I won’t be able to send you a PM until you make a few more posts but at this point you definitely have way more experience than I! I haven’t even built mine yet lol. And honestly there is probably a 20% chance I scatter the poor thing.

Not nearly as cool looking as your rides lol but this is where mine will be going into
    F1D837B4-3183-4E47-9231-BCC2A73CCBED.jpeg

Roy Heisenberg and El Diablo like this.
  12. Roddinthcad

Roddinthcad New Member

Yikes !!!! You have got your hands full---that would be quite a challenge.
    I don't understand me not being able to PM others or receive PMs. I have been on this site since 2012 and have PMed others in the past but haven't for a few years---I wonder if there is a new rule that I have to qualify in order to have PM privileges now? Oh well--I am a man of few words so I may never qualify.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  13. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I LOVE our Big Boy Toys!! :)

Keep after it, Gentlemen.

d

14. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Yup I like big steel cars too (an old 50-60’s wagon is my dream car) but those things are starting to demand a premium nowadays :(

The way I figure it, it’s the lightest and cheapest car I could buy. ($600 for this one running and driving) so I could wreck ten of these before I’m at the same cost as a halfway decent long roof

15. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

I’m not certain it’s just a hunch, but the area that would normally say “start a conversation” isn’t there on your profile pop-up when I click your name. The only thing that comes to mind it that your still a “new” :rofl: member

16. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Well-Known Member

Maybe it has something to do with his profile set up?
    Like the email section, I had to put in a new email account to receive messages, It was easy, Just go to profile page, click a bunch of different tabs until email came up. Typed in e mail address and click confirm. Then I started having conversations.
    Or it could be what once was OLD is now, the NEW.
    PJ

17. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Roddinthcad

The more I look at that Fairlane 542 the more I like it! Few things can bring back memories of those long past days like good pictures. Those were good days.

Thanks for the pics and for the memories.

bro. d

18. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    66 Cdv 500
    That should become one sick fast little car! What are you thinking on doing with the fuel system?

19. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

Thanks!

As for fuel, the plan at this moment is to rear sump the factory tank and see how far forward I can move it which should give me plenty of room to mount an external pump.

I was looking at a Holley dual pump, the 12-1200 which should meet my needs with room to grow

The main problem I am going to have is capacity...the factory tank on these cars holds a staggering 8.4gals of fuel!

Works just fine when you can get 25mpgs, but I don’t suspect I’ll be able to get that kind of mileage with this build.

Here is an additional stupid problem I’ll end up running into:
    NHRA tech requires battery/car cutoff switch on the rear of the car when the battery is moved from the factory location....on a normal car this is easy, however I’ll be moving it to the front of the car to make room in the engine compartment.

20. Roy Heisenberg

Roy Heisenberg The 472 Crank is stronger due to overlap

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    472 Caddy in a ‘75 Jeep J-20 TH-400 Dana-60 100LL
    Why not just build it to run e-85 fuel?

e-85 has a high heat of vaporization, and this vaporization, cools the intake charge so if makes big power...

Thanks,
    Roy