Ford 9 inch swap correct setting of pinion angle ?

2JvLo

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
66 Cdv 500
My 66 is going to get it's bags and ford 9'' rearend over the next few weeks. The 9'' is chosen because of the short gears that someone mounted in the rear. Speedo is reading way high, Guess it's an limo axle with 3.77 gears or something. It kills my mpg's and cruising above 60mph ain't fun. As luck would seem i found a limited slip 9'' with tall gears for a good price. Took the brackets off and made lower ones in the workshop, The top two ones will be made when it's under the car. Since the car is lowered quite a bit i suspect there are some gains to be had from optimizing the pinion angle while at it. There are quite a lot of threats on how to set the angles with simple axle's and even some on single cv jointed ones. Unfortunately i couldn't find the proper info on double cv jointed axles. Anyone know how to set up these cadillac drive shaft's?

grendel

Reaction score
for a double cardan, you aim it right at the trans, if using a link suspension.

2JvLo

Reaction score
66 Cdv 500
I read that that's the way to do it with an single double cv joint, but mine has one on both end's, Or is the solution the same?
axle is like this one

richie49

Reaction score
When you get to measuring where to put the top bracing and weld them in if there's a slight off on the angle you get adjustables upper arms and correct that
Pretty easy. On my car it's a 85 monte carlo frame and I just went with the oringinal places.Thank God they work well because I looked at the way of calulating what you need and I just got :confused:
and the longer I looked :( and oh :crap: so I left it alone :rofl:
Good luck with it..
Richard richie49

2JvLo

Reaction score
66 Cdv 500
Guess thats just what i'll have to do :whistle:
just point it as straight as possible to the trans as possible.