FLYING IN AN OLD STEARMAN

Darius

Reaction score
This past Monday I took an item off my bucket list when I experienced the joys of open cockpit, biplane flight.
That old Stearman could turn on a dime! The controls were said to be 'heavy' but I found them light, especially the elevator control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08sHG0H ... e=youtu.be

By the way, I'm NOT as fat as the wide angle lens would have me look. That's my story and I'm sticking with it, thank you!

d

pila78

Reaction score
HAHA !! I haven't flown a Stearman solo , but did a lot of work on them. Good to hear that you liked the ride !! :D

Only biplane I've flown is a Bucker Jungman, which you likely never heard of !! Originally a Swiss design I believe...

Yendor

Reaction score
Good for you, Darius ! Congratulations !

That is a really cool video. Watching that put the biggest smile on my face as I've had in a couple of days. It's especially enjoyable to share in another brother's excitement. That wasn't something I'd added to my bucket list, but now I don't feel as if I need to ! :cool: Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

DOC

Reaction score
Heber Valley is sure a beautiful to see from the air. That sure
looked like a lot of fun.

DOC

mario

Reaction score
"By the way, I'm NOT as fat as the wide angle lens would have me look."

Brown d:
Not a doubt in my mind. But that plane did look a little "nose heavy" lol lol lol :devil: :devil: :devil:
congrats on that fun flight. I'm very happy for you. Take care and stay healthy.
ciao,
mario

PROSTOCKTOM

Reaction score
I too took a ride in a Stearman about 10 years ago at an airport about 25 miles South of Las Vegas.

Your ride looks a little more civil than the one I took. Just Wait It's Coming :yikes:

They told me that they would fly it anyway I wanted in positive G's and limited negative G's

So I left the hotel in Vegas early in the morning (I am not a morning person) even with the 2 hr. time change.

Stopped by McDonalds and ate two Steak & Egg sandwiches they were selling at the time on the way down. Wait It's Coming

So here I am early in the day, high desert altitude, and the smell of exhaust from the engine buzzing around Nevada& California.

The guy is doing loops, barrel rolls, couple dives, a nose over hammer head. He's giving me a great ride and I am really getting sick

at my stomach (Did I mention the Steak & Egg sandwiches yet?) Well the ride is over and he head back toward the airport and then he ask,

How was that for a ride and tell him it was awesome. About this time with the airport in site he say, Well hang on!! he pushes the left pedal down

and whips the stick to the left and forward. We go into a death spiral and about the 4th spin I blow my breakfast all over myself and the inside of the plane.

We get back on the ground and he tells me, No problem it happens from time to time. We just take the bottom skin off and wash it out.

So I have to ride back up to Vegas without a shirt on and the wife stops at an store and buys me a new shirt to wear so I can get back into the hotel.

I would highly suggest not to eat at McDonalds if you intend to fly around in a Stearman with a crazy pilot.

I am glad to see Darius that your pilot was not as wild and that you got another item off the bucket list. :cloud9:

Tom

MOCRUZN

Reaction score
Any Stearman on any glorious day is the perfect one to check it off your Bucket List .

Im happy to see you looking good Darius.

Miles

Don

Reaction score
Thank you for the ride Darius. I must admit that seeing you smile and enjoying the ride made my day.

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
D :yikes:

That propy thingy keeps jumping off the plane and jumping back on
and stops
and starts
and foreward
and backward
and twistin
and turnin
and dancin
:D

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
You made my day watching that, thanks. You sure are looking good but you have not aged well compared to your avatar picture.

Ted

Darius

Reaction score
Ted in Olympia said:
You made my day watching that, thanks. You sure are looking good but you have not aged well compared to your avatar picture.

Ted
Thanks for the noticing - but I think they changed something in my hormone treatments.

da HWC

Darius

Reaction score
The Mad Cadder said:
D :yikes:

That propy thingy keeps jumping off the plane and jumping back on
and stops
and starts
and foreward
and backward
and twistin
and turnin
and dancin

:D
I noticed that "prop-dancing" while in the air. It got MY attention! Still, the damned thing stayed on. It is a cheap Chinese remake. The original 1934 OEM stuff is getting tough to find. :yes:

d

pila78

Reaction score
The Stearman originally had two or more different engines. One was the Continental R670, which most have now, and the other was the Lycoming R680. The 680, from what I've heard, has it's share of problems, and hard to find parts for. Lots of parts around for the Continentals.. A version of that one, a W670, was used in Sherman M4 tanks in WW II....
Aircraft version was 220 HP

And I believe a Jacobs R755. & 245 HP was also used in some of those airplanes...

Some Stearmans have been modified with a bigger engine, namely the Pratt & Whitney R985, with 450 HP. The aerobatic guys use the bigger engines usually.
The model numbers are the cubic inch displacements by the way...

Darius

Reaction score
pila78 said:
The Stearman originally had two or more different engines. One was the Continental R670, which most have now, and the other was the Lycoming R680. The 680, from what I've heard, has it's share of problems, and hard to find parts for. Lots of parts around for the Continentals.. A version of that one, a W670, was used in Sherman M4 tanks in WW II....
Aircraft version was 220 HP

And I believe a Jacobs R755. & 245 HP was also used in some of those airplanes...

Some Stearmans have been modified with a bigger engine, namely the Pratt & Whitney R985, with 450 HP. The aerobatic guys use the bigger engines usually.
The model numbers are the cubic inch displacements by the way.
This one was equipped with the P&W packing 450 HP. Darn thing just jumped off the runway after a very short take-off roll. It was fun watching the manifold pressure gauge.

d