driving it..

pila78

Reaction score
I've been driving my El Camino lately, and it behaves good on snowy roads, just like the other three I had over the years. I have a bit over 600 miles on it. I kinda wondered how it would do, with the extra weight on the front end, but doesn't seem to matter. I suppose the aluminum radiator helped, in place of the 4-core copper one. ...anyway, I'm happy with it ! :D Swapping the stock intake would reduce some weight, but hood clearance is a problem I didn't want to deal with..
I still need to replace the front stab bar to a larger diameter type. The stock 7/8" bar is in it yet. It has a bit of wallow right now !

Response can be a bit touchy, and a light foot on the go pedal works best, unless tire smoke is desired ! :D

caddycarlo

Reaction score
Guessing you are talking about the sway bar .. go as big as you can. 1 1/4 if possible ... I would do a rear bar too.... there are several good company's that make them... I even put a rear one on my dodge 1 ton to deal with loads ... of course I am told I drive it like a 6000 lb sports car so kinda depends on what you want in a driver

pila78

Reaction score
No Snow tires, but years ago I ran snow tires on my El Caminos

I have a factory rear stab bar, but it hangs down too low, under the Currie 9-inch rear. I thought maybe a bar from a different A body might fit up in there better. I don't think a bar could be heated and re-shaped to fit better (?)

Then again, maybe tapered spacers on the trailing lower control arms, where the bars attach, could tilt the bar to a better position.
Just another brain fart !!

caddycarlo

Reaction score
My Monte Carlo also has a 9 inch and a rear sway bar but it has been so long I can't remember what I did to fit it up (did it in 88) we are going to start getting it out of storage so I will look

pila78

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. I'll have to re-visit mine & see if I can get it up closer to the rear end. I'm not gonna be doing it right away, ..my left knee sorta failed yesterday, so I need to get it fixed !!..like scoped or replaced ( I can hardly wait..)

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
I purchased a 1985 Olds Cutlass years ago with the original window sticker. One of the options was the handling package with HD springs and large front and rear sway bars, I think the same as the 442. It said it was a $28 option. Makes me wonder why they were not all ordered with this option.

Ted