Deville Went Down to Georgia - Build

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by nosgood, Jul 10, 2017.

1. gary kosier

gary kosier Active Member

Are you sure you're not reversed on which rocker arm you're watching?

Gary Kosier

2. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Gary, that had occurred to me, but that wasn't the issue. After writing my last post, I went back out and removed the timing cover from the engine. I had to see the timing set or I was going to go crazy! And, lo and behold, it was incorrectly installed. During assembly, I must not have set piston #1 to TDC, because it's definitely not that way now. When the dots are lined up at 6 and 12 o'clock on the timing set, the piston feels like it's at the bottom of it's stroke. The crank gear has three keyways, and I just didn't use the right one!

I'm afraid I don't even have any excuses for this one. It was a bone head move and I can tell you that it will never happen again. This weekend I'll rent a harmonic balancer puller and remedy the situation. I'll also need a new gasket for the timing cover. Once I get it put back together I think I'll have a running engine. I guess it goes to show that you can't be too careful.

-Nick

3. MIHELA

MIHELA Active Member

If I remember when I set mine up the crank keyway ends up at the 7'oclock position with #1 at TDC and it is confusing.

4. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Okay, so far so good. I got the timing cover off with no issues. The oil pump gave me some trouble just because it’s a tight fit to my crossmember. But I’m at the timing set now. I was hoping some of you had some recommendations for removal technique.

6CE3D43D-8B9D-49D0-8ED0-3FA59911D9FD.jpeg

The only other time I’ve done this was on the 472 I removed from this car. The chain was so slack that I could slip the cam gear off and I used a three jaw puller to remove the crank sprocket. This, however, is a brand new chain and it’s nice and snug. I can’t be the first one to run into this!

Thanks guys!

-Nick

5. gary kosier

gary kosier Active Member

Nick,

Get something behind the gear on the crank and push it forward. That will enable you to get the upper gear past the cam gear.
    The lower gear is a tight slip-on fit located by the keyway. Tight, but it should move.

Gary Kosier

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I love clear pictures.

d

nosgood likes this.
  7. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Ditto

8. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Okay, update time. I looked through my shop manual to see if they had any tips on timing chain removal. They simply say to “remove cam gear with chain still attached, and then use a three jaw puller to remove crank sprocket.” My timing chain simply does not have the slack to do this. The cam gear doesn’t clear the distributor drive gear. Coincidentally, I can’t get the puller onto the crank sprocket with the chain still there.

I went and grabbed my largest pry bar to try and just wiggle it forward enough to get the cam gear to clear everything. After pulling as hard as I could, it won’t budge even a little! I applied some penetrating oil to the sprocket in the hopes of loosening it up, but to no avail. This is a new gear put onto a clean crankshaft about a year ago, how can it be this tight?

9. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Okay! 10 minutes later I solved it. I took one of the jaws off of the puller, put one of the remaing ones over the teeth of the sprocket and the other over the outside of the chain. After a few ginger turns of the screw, it started to slide loose and I was able to pull it off by hand. Now to put everything back together!

8ad-f85 likes this.
  10. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

For the record, here is the timing set installed correctly: piston #1 at top dead center (crank key around 7 o’clock), cam gear marker pointed straight down, and crank sprocket marker pointed straight down. DF3A99EC-404B-4674-9CF7-554B01B4C701.jpeg 28FAA372-6ACD-4A72-A462-DB2D1C976DAE.jpeg 60449F14-088B-4977-85ED-07D7DDBEE460.jpeg

11. Andy V

Andy V Active Member

you have a roller cam ? the hydraulic roller cores are the reason you can't just slip the cam sprocket off the cam anymore. I had same issue and think I has posted up about it before.
    if you have a flat tappet cam, then that is unusual.
    with the rollers, the diameter of the section behind the distributor gear is too large to let the cam sprocket drop down enough and get the chain off. So you have to walk the crank sprocket slowly off with the cam sprocket at same time. glad you got it figured out

12. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Yep, I've got a roller. I wanted to make sure I didn't break anything as I was removing it, but it went smoothly!

Update:

I'm just waiting to modify a fitting for my oil cooler before I fire this thing up. I have to use my neighbor's tools, and he won't be home until this weekend. Closer all the time!

-Nick

13. bugzaper

bugzaper Well-Known Member

... time to buy your own tools. :thumbup:

nosgood and PJ McCoy like this.
  14. ron pair

ron pair New Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    37 cad resto mod 500, cad 41 4 door convertible
    great photos and informaiton. i have a 500 in a 37 caddy and am having lots of problems with the 700r4 flexplate stripping teeth. the th 400 original flexplate and tryanny are good, but the change to a new flex plate is giving me fits. i had to redrill the 400 flex plate and use it as the one for the 700 strips. have u started your car yet? what are u using for a flex plate and transmission?
    ron

15. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

I haven't had time to fire it yet, but I'm using a stock flexplate and a long shaft TH 400 (both original to the car). There were two styles of flexplate available with the 472/500 cars, and I know that you do NOT want the one with three large kidney shaped holes in it. Apparently they were weaker. RockAuto.com sells brand new ones though; if you've got stripped teeth on yours I'd recommend getting one.

16. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Okay gents, progress report:
    I’ve got the engine all sealed back up after correctly re-installing my timing set. Piston #1 is set 10* before top dead center, the distributor is pointed directly at the #1 terminal on the cap, and I am ready to fire! Currently waiting until the weekend when I can get a couple buddies together and make some noise.

In the meantime, here’s what’s changed. I finished up the oil circuit for my cooler and accumulator. It is made up of a sandwich adapter from Cadco, a B&M oil cooler, and a 3 quart accumulator from Moroso. It’s all tied together with -10 AN line.

0A082658-C5F3-4BB6-A1DF-7BCED8B4A714.jpeg 9427D976-8FBC-42A6-A9DF-33E9B576AE88.jpeg 03DFE35A-2A26-4365-A534-8AAB0EDED51C.jpeg BD04B8F3-D00C-47D6-8DB9-334279E3CACD.jpeg 49DCC67D-585C-4577-94E3-E1E7748A3D3B.jpeg B0A596D3-8694-48F6-ABA0-96B6066FF017.jpeg

After I was done with that, I decided to clear some stuff away from the car and get a good look at it. I love the look of this thing more than the day I bought it! One could be forgiven for thinking they were looking at a running and driving car, which could not have been said 6 months ago. Also, I’ve got a full kit worth of air suspension parts waiting in the wings, so there will be no shortage of things to do in the future. To get it on the road I need brake lines, a driveshaft, new down pipes to hook up to my headers, and a differential fluid change. At least, that’s what my list says. It seems there’s always something else!

181AD100-354F-4D92-AEB6-CB3445B32B54.jpeg 0E1E3E30-C02F-479F-AE12-A39D76171CA7.jpeg 562D7AE3-70D3-4BED-8AC4-990C2C9747DB.jpeg C28D2437-F774-47C9-B0CE-6681048F896D.jpeg

17. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    Looks pretty damn KOOL!:cool: Just need to tub it.;)

18. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

One day! I figure I better stick to one thing at a time or I'll never get it done!

19. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    VERY true:(! Don't know what size tire you can fit.

20. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Nick,

Those are absolutely marvelous pictures!! The tell the story better than words and who could ask for more than that?

Damned pretty car too! "You've done well, Pilgrim" - to borrow a movie phrase.

I always envy those of you who have our Big Engines in the vehicles they were intended to be in. WOW!! The work space in that engine compartment would be a dream come true. Enjoy it Brother!

Best,

bro. d