Deville Went Down to Georgia - Build

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by nosgood, Jul 10, 2017.

1. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Its better to find that mistake now than at the 4 mile mark on the odometer. I read an older post from a motorhome forum. They were using caddy engines too. Ine guy did the same thing. Lifters popped out when the rockers failed. Very costly mistake on his part. My heart sank when i read it. Stay encouraged. Your doing it right. I remeber Mad Cadder telling me" it costs what it costs and its cheaper to do it right the first time"
    Thats why i choose to go with the 15 cam ect. Your ride is very nice and your attention to detail shows. Thank you for sharing. I enjoy reading everyones posts on there project. It keeps me encouraged too. We got alot of great folks here.

2. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

Wow, that work looks great!

Not sure if I missed it in there, but don't forget some heat shielding between the tail pipe and tank.

3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Ain't dat da truth!

Homie d

4. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

You didn't miss it! It's actually next on the list. A thin sheet of aluminum running the length of the exhaust pipe should do the trick right? I need to pull the tank back out to wire up the sender, so I'll find a nice spot to bolt up shielding while I'm in there.

-Nick

5. 8ad-f85

Sounds great.
    My 69's had a factory shield on the driver's side. Might be something there?
    Tank was offset so I hadn't done the pass. side yet.

6. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Nick, its looks great. You should be very proud.

7. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Thanks PJ, I am! I'm also extremely excited to get this thing on the road. It's been way too long since I've done a burnout. lol

8. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Me too.

9. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Hi everybody, still waiting on back-ordered parts over here... Seems to be a consistent theme with this build. In the meantime, I've been doing some thinking under my bucket. Having read some of the recent comments about the oil system on these motors, I've decided the cheapest and easiest form of insurance is going to be an oil accumulator. I'm going to run this one from Moroso:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/23900K/10002/-1

These things are pretty cool; they use air pressure to force oil into the engine under extreme conditions like hard acceleration, hard braking, and fast corners (sounds like my commute). The kit comes with everything but AN line, which I have plenty of. At first 500 bucks seemed steep, but after some deliberation it turns out that $500 is better than a motor burning up.

Here's my tech question: Where do ya'll think is the best spot to hook up the -10 line that runs from the accumulator to the engine? They recommend hooking it to the oil cooler circuit, but I don't have one of those. I perused Cadco's website just now, and saw that they sell a "sandwich style" oil cooler adapter that fits between the filter and the pump. I wonder if something like that could be used? The oil travels both ways in the accumulator's -10 line, so I wouldn't need the second port on the oil cooler adapter. I'm just a little baffled (ha-ha) by the oil flow direction, and I am in need of some experienced re-assurance that I'm on the right path.

Hope you guys are doing well!

-Nick

10. 8ad-f85

Haven't used an Accumulator on a Caddy but right above the oil pump there's a pipe plug.

Darius likes this.
  11. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

DITTO 8ad-F85.

d

12. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

I think I'm familiar with that pipe plug. If we're thinking about the same thing, that's where I've hooked my -6 balance line.

8ad-f85 likes this.
  13. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    Just cheaper and less hassle to get a new tank and sending unit. Will have to check on Mon. for the Co. This guy even has tanks and sending units for commercial.

14. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Hey folks, I mentioned in my pervious post that I was considering an accumulator to save my butt in low oil pressure conditions.

And voila, here we are. Bear in mind, I’ve never done metal working in my life, but a simple set of L brackets seemed easy enough. They aren’t perfect, but they’ll work. Just 1/8” steel knocked in to shape with a hammer.
    8F851C52-A6F9-4744-8508-5342F9A769BD.jpeg

After some quick research, I’ve decided to tie this accumulator into my oil cooler lines. I’ll be using -10 AN line, and a sandwich style oil cooler adapter from Cadco. B&M will be supplying one of their Universal Super Coolers. I’m going to order up the rest of this stuff by theweekend and hook it all together. Still waiting on B/O parts to get the engine running. Not much I can do about it.

F1C807BB-F1C8-4305-8280-BE73C5F697EE.jpeg

4B6E7C21-1916-4EF7-98C0-D8B12528ECF6.jpeg

El Diablo and blue68deville like this.
  15. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Wow. Man your car is fantastic.
    MAN! Go on with your bad self.
    Nice work.

8ad-f85 likes this.
  16. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Thanks PJ, I've been having a great time and hey, not so bad for my first effort, right? The deeper I go, the longer the list gets. Suspension and bodywork are my 2018 to-do's.

-Nick

PJ McCoy likes this.
  17. Andy V

Andy V Active Member

that fuel tank is damn right beautiful....I have a boyd tank for my truck. Did they have a plan for that 68 tank in house, or did you have to send an old tank to them ? I may need one of those one day...
    the one thing I am surprised about is the sump is up front facing forward...seems it might get uncovered under hard acceleration and low fuel. But maybe they baffled that area real good ? putting it up there cleans up the lines and tucks it nice though. My sumped stock tank has it in the back, and you can see it standing behind the car as it sticks below the back bumper.

18. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Hi Andy, thanks! I'm very happy with the tank. I actually drew my own blueprints for it, and I attached them here! Sideways, I'm afraid, but you get the idea. The mounting tabs line up so that the tank bolts directly to the two support beams running parallel from front to back in the trunk of 68's. I used a couple of rubber bushing to eliminate any vibrations, and it is a very sturdy setup overall. On the blueprints you can see where they placed the baffling, I think it should be sufficient in keeping the fuel where it needs to be. Having the sump upfront also simplifies the routing of the fuel lines. Osgood Custom Tank Revision-page-001.jpg Osgood Custom Tank Revision-page-002.jpg

PJ McCoy and 8ad-f85 like this.