Dammed Gasoline These Days !!!

bugzaper

Reaction score
Filled the 1980 C-10 / 425 up yesterday with supposedly 91 octane non-ethanol gasoline.
Drove it home one mile and parked it.
Got up this morning to drive it to breakfast and it started running real bad and backfiring!
This is the first time in over 10 years since the build that it has ever backfired.
Checked the plugs / wires / dist. eca. eca. and no signs of damage or malfunctions.
Put a complete bottle of octane booster in the tank and low-n-behold it now runs perfect just like before.
I attribute the problem solely to the crappy gasoline we are forced to use these days and it really sucks!!! :curse2: :curse2: :curse2: :curse2:

Darius

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad experience.

I wonder if the station had the wrong octane blend (87 ?) put into the Hi-test tank? That would explain the sudden change.

I noted the items that you checked but did that include static timing? No reason for the distributor to get loose but strange things do happen.

Best,

d

8ad-f85

Reaction score
Not sure if the vehicle is mostly parked but it sounds like whatever you added may have helped with moisture in the fuel somehow.

[Low octane shouldn't affect light throttle or idle performance (due to knock resistance) ...much]

bugzaper

Reaction score
You know I was thinking the same thing.

I installed a 10 gallon fuel cell several years ago under the bed behind the rear axle and it was pretty low on fuel when I filled it up the other day.
I only drive it about once or twice ever two weeks.
I've noticed a lot of moisture under the fuel fill cap lately and of course living in Misery or eh Missouri doesn't help.
When I lived in Colorado I never had any moisture or rust issues but, here it's never ending!!!!

I most likely need to completely drain the fuel cell and re-fill it with new gas. :shakehead:

bugzaper

Reaction score
Darius said:
Sorry for the bad experience.

I wonder if the station had the wrong octane blend (87 ?) put into the Hi-test tank? That would explain the sudden change.

I noted the items that you checked but did that include static timing? No reason for the distributor to get loose but strange things do happen.

Best,

d

Checked the timing and dist. and all is as it was.
Thinking it is moisture / water in the bottom of the fuel cell. :scratchchin:

bugzaper

Reaction score
"OK" I've got a question.
Should the fuel cell be vented to the atmosphere or not.
Currently I have it closed off.
had it vented but, seemed to be losing a lot of fuel do to evaporation.
I do have a return line from the fuel pump to the fuel cell so I guess you could say it's kind'a closed loop system.
And, was always under the impression that a closed system need not be vented.

Also.

What additive (if any) can be used to clean up the water in a gas tank, really don't want to drain the entire tank but, may have to... :weeping:

pila78

Reaction score
alcohol.(."Dri-gas" in cans .. we even can legally use some in airplanes to dissipate water in the tanks, that can't be drained. The rule specifies how much per gallon etc

bugzaper

Reaction score
Is that the name of the product "Dri-Gas" and where can one find it and thanks!

bugzaper

Reaction score
dave brode said:
Such a product is useful if one has gasoline with no ethanol, but E10 already contains what is essentially 10% drygas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_gas

Supposedly the place where I buy all my gas has no ethanol in it, but after this latest experience I'm beginning to wonder.
I did buy some "HEAT" product and put a couple of bottles in the fuel cell along with the octane booster and it seems to be working, well at least there is no more back firing.

bugzaper

Reaction score
"CRAP"!!!! I just filled up with another load of shitty gasoline!!!! What the hell is going on!!!!

-and-

The first station I went to (trying a new one, big mistake...) now wants my pin number when using a credit card.
Like I'm going to give out my pin number to a "freak'n" gas station!
So...I went to another (second big mistake...) and filled up with 91 octane non-ethanol and no sooner had I driven a mile down the road the truck started running like someone was pouring water down the carb., barely made it home!!!

"Shit" ....

"OK" learned that now 15% ethanol will be added to "ALL" gasoline even if the pump states no ethanol.

Found this video, interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElbgPhujl_M

Nick Campagna

Reaction score
Cadillac Kid 1 said:
NHick,
What does the Toluene do for water in the fuel?
Greg Surfas
I don't know for sure. I would suspect that it would act like alcohol, and bind up the water. It could be worth a trip to the hardware store for a small bottle of toluene.
If anyone wants, I can send the spreadsheet, just PM me your e-mail address. This board does not allow Excel file attachments.

bugzaper

Reaction score
Going to "Wal-Mart" this morning and purchased a few bottles of 91% rubbing alcohol and going to give it a try.
Will report back as to my results.

Update:

Bought a few bottles of 91% rubbing alcohol, dumped a full 16oz bottle in, bounced the truck around, started it up and let it idle for about 10 minutes blipping the throttle a few times in between.
Now...I am by no means an expertise in this area and will be the first to say so, but I believe it cleared up the ruff idle and stumble.
Next step will be to pull the plugs after a run down the road and see what they tell me.
For a little over .60 a 16oz bottle, from now on I'll be adding this every time I fill up!

Update:

Here are what my plugs look like after about a 10 minute idle at 850 rpm, after the 91% rubbing alcohol had been added.

Attachments

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
FWIW,
My stone stock 72 Eldo could "tell" the difference between 91 and 93 octane. On 91 it stumbled and got poor mileage. Again, FWIW. Never had any issues on 93 with corn.
Greg Surfas

bugzaper

Reaction score
Cadillac Kid 1 said:
FWIW,
My stone stock 72 Eldo could "tell" the difference between 91 and 93 octane. On 91 it stumbled and got poor mileage. Again, FWIW. Never had any issues on 93 with corn.
Greg Surfas

I think the higher compression 472 - 500 would have much more effect than a lower compression late 70s 425.

8ad-f85

Reaction score
By the time you add toluene and other stuff to your fuel (unpredictable mix, refinery differences, etc.) you can simply start off with better fuel, ie. Avgas or racing fuel. [Assuming this isn't for short term needs]

Darius

Reaction score
Nick Campagna said:
Cadillac Kid 1 said:
NHick,
What does the Toluene do for water in the fuel?
Greg Surfas
I don't know for sure. I would suspect that it would act like alcohol, and bind up the water. It could be worth a trip to the hardware store for a small bottle of toluene.
If anyone wants, I can send the spreadsheet, just PM me your e-mail address. This board does not allow Excel file attachments.
Howdy Nick, and All,

Toluene is great as an octane builder but it is not hygroscopic and will no bind with water in the tank.

Best,

d