Come on man!

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by 5one9, Aug 6, 2019.

1. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    it’s kind of slow on here right now.

Who is working on what?

I’m still trying to button up things to start my 500 up for the first time. The latest issue is having to switch to beehive springs because the CHP VT61 rockers won’t clear 1.550” OD springs. It’s wearing me down.

Red98422 and Darius like this.
  2. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    Just saving money for parts. Then machine work. Slow on these big Cads. Plus "Cadman" is gone, so a wealth of info is gone also.

3. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

Good place to share my “adventure” , now that it is almost over. For just about ever I have been chasing an “ignition”issues. Car warms up and after a short drive On the highway (15 miles) slowing down the motor just cut out. I changed the ignition system at least 5 times until I finally realized it was vapor lock not ignition. Going to re route 1/2 inch fuel line away from the headers (now about 6 inches away) and go to a bypass fuel pressure regulator with a return line. Waiting for the weather to cool of to do this and if this doesn’t fix it I’ll change my hobby to something like knitting
    Greg Surfas

Darius likes this.
  4. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

Knitting is cool but it sure makes you hope that the bypass regulator works.

5. Cadillac Kid 1

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member SUPPORTING MEMBER

Knitting is soooo intense!!!!! :cautious: Work on the bypass regulator. :D

Say, do you have any of that foil type stuff that is like a sleeve that you could put your fuel line into? Both the reflective nature of the foil and the bit of air gap inside would help with the heat.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...&ved=0ahUKEwieg4GAhvLjAhVOj54KHQZzAp8Q4dUDCAs

bro. d

5one9 likes this.
  7. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

I have everything done on the Malibu except for the valve springs, rocker arms, some sort of shifter setup and MSD box. The A/C is all reinstalled minus the compressor. After some measurements I can get a Sanden SD709 to fit the early aluminum bracket with some sort of brace on the rear.

This winter I'll start building a set of stainless turbo headers for a single turbo. I'll likely put a Holley Sniper kit on it and settle for around 10psi. My stainless TIG welding has improved to the point that the turbo piping fabricated will be only slightly embarrassing to look at.:D Anyway I'm curious to see what the engine itself will do in the 1/8th mile.

Red98422 likes this.
  8. Cadillac Kid 1

Do d,
    I have just installed heat wrap on the fuel line and when I did that I realized it would be
    Better to relocate the 1/2” supply line since it is now less thAn 6” from the right side header.
    With all I have
    Gone through I REALLY want to make sure I have covered everything.
    Greg Surfas

9. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

To prevent heat soak, get a fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator with a return line back to the tank. It keeps the fuel always moving fast enough to prevent the heat soak and boiling at idle and low speed. This is why some cars came from the factory with a return line even though they had a mechanical fuel pump & carb. It looks like you figured this out already. I think my fuel pump on my 425 has the return fuel line port on it. I can get you the part number if you want it.

Next time you are at the junkyard pick up some scrap or used stainless heat shields from factory exhaust manifolds or catalytic converters, bend & cut to fit and install at least an 1" away from key components. It reflects the heat back away from the starter, brake lines, fuel lines, transmission pan, etc.. They can be trimmed to not look too bad, but they work. I would add a shield around the starter, next to metal A/C lines if they are close to the header, and the metal brake line that goes around the frame if it passes next to the header. The starter shield really reduces heat soak from headers and hard starts. If your header collectors are close to your transmission pan or metal tranny lines, I recommend heat shields here as well if you drive extended periods in traffic.

10. Cadillac Kid 1

I am running a Holley”blue” pump and a 1/2” fuel line from a sumpedtank again when it cools off a bit I am going To run a3/8”returnline back-to the tank".
    Fender, wells are cutout so there is airflow where the lines WILL be.
    Greg Surfas

11. Darius

A friend from the local Studebaker club called on Tuesday to come over for the firing-up of his totally rebuilt Cadillac 500. What a wonderful sight and what an inspiring sound having as that engine announced itself to the world!!

It was on the same break-in stand that was lent to do the job for my engine. The new home for this engine will be a Chevy El Camino. A TurboHydro 4oo will provide gear multiplication on the way to a 3.73 rear with Eaton posi.

5one9,

The builder of this engine found a nice roller rocker setup on Ebay at a great price but it's installed height required not only a change to taller after-market valve covers but double gaskets to clear. He said getting through that problem kicked his behind; so don't feel alone sorting out those valve spring problems. When your engine fires to life that the one I heard on Tuesday, all of those troubles will be an afterthought.

I took video with my phone but need to setup something on YouTube to share it.

Best,

bro. d
    GALES CADDY ENGINE 5 .jpg GALES CADDY ENGINE 2 .jpg GALES CADDY ENGINE 3 .jpg GALES CADDY ENGINE 6 .jpg GALES CADDY ENGINE 4 .jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  12. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

That’s what I am looking forward to. I have a full Pypes 3” system with the Race Pro mufflers. With 0.608” lift and 240* roller cam it should thump........I hope

Darius likes this.
  13. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

What year is his El Camino?

14. Darius

5one9,

Dang Son, seeing what you put in that thang it damn sure will 'thump'!! :eek:

I hope you've got a good friend down at the tire store. :whistle:

I don't know the year of his El Camino but will ask.

bro. d

5one9 likes this.
  15. Cadillac Kid 1

This is what a 10:1 motor with a 252/260 @.050 sounds like muffled
    Greg Surfas

16. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

Man that thing has a wicked high idle

17. Cadillac Kid 1

As you see it pulls down to about 800 in gear. Was probably still on fast idle cam of carb
    Greg surfas

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  18. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

I wonder what kind of HP it has? What kind of times it runs? Looks to be in a big Caddy.

19. Cadillac Kid 1

Last run with a bad rod bearing was 12.99 @108 mph. New motor, new 3rd member, new external oiling systems and as soon as I do my fuel system and break in the motor I am hoping for mid 12s. Couldn’t hookuplast time out with 2.5 second 60 foot times.
    Yes that is a full sized 73 coupe. I put it on a diet,lost the front bumper and a little metal and it is down to a svelte 4950 pounds.
    Hp is just south of 600 but torque stays well north of 625 from 3000 to 5200 rpm.
    The numbers are there.
    Greg Surfas

5one9 likes this.
  20. Darius

I Love It!!

d

richie49 and 5one9 like this.