Ceiling fan placement

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
Got a split level thing going on where you can never get all 3 levels comfortable. I'm in a climate were we are heating half the year and cooling the other half.

The thin lines on the drawing are a railing so its more or less open between the 3 levels with also open stairways. Ceiling is proabbly 8' on that top level at the wall and about 11 at the peak. To that mid level its like 16" at the high point.

My original thought was going to be location #1 but then thought about maybe #2 but then #3 started making the most sense. Location 3 would put the blades past the ledge of the upper level and be partially over the stairs to the lower level. Thinking that may give the best overall circulation for the whole space. We could pull air up the stairs or push it down depending on the season. The upper level should get flow because it will either hit or be drawn across the ceiling.

Open to hear thoughts. Ceiling finish is in good shape so I don't want to have to move it. I have a big 68" fan that is reversible and variable speed and such.

8ad-f85

Reaction score
When I work with homes for various heat/cool reasons I go around with a lit incense stick (mainly to center my chi, lol ) to see how the air moves.
One thing I've learned with the last couple of 100 year old homes is that stairwells along the outside wall serve to spiral the air around an a surprisingly even manner.
A properly burning woodstove seems to easily maintain from it's level up without leaving too much for cold spots, other than the obvious. (Northern Minnesota, using the stoves more for the challenge of it. The furnace can come on when needed, but I'd rather it didn't)

Maybe if there's pretty good movement up the middle already, setting it off to one side will pull it there without losing the natural pull where you want it.
I wonder if you could play with a box fan and ladder setup to see?

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
The supply on the mid level is against the patio door. The supplies on the upper and lower levels are spread out along the outside walls.

Winter closing the upstairs supplies and the mid level return seemed to help balance things out. Summer I have been shutting off the supplies on the lower level.

The lower level currently has a full on masonry wood burning fireplace that we don't use much but are considering turning it to gas if for no other reason than to heat all that stone so its not a giant cold radiator.

76FleetBrougham

Reaction score
Two points:

If you can convert your fireplace to gas- do it! and make sure you have an air circulator in it. Best thing i've done for my basement. It'll get to 80 degrees down there if i leave it on for more than an hour. IF you can figure out how to efficiently circulate that basement air upstairs your whole house will thank you.

If it is all essentially open like you say, I would recommend 3 fans. One above the top-left room one at #4, and one in the bottom left room.

Here's my horrible paint explanation:

The basement fan blowing in reverse will pull floor air and push it along the ceiling. some will recirculate, but some (hopefully most) will go out to the mid level.

The top two fans are needed to really move all that air, if the area is as big as i'm thinking.

In the winter you can keep the basement fan moving the same direction, but reverse the #4 fan so its sucking air upwards, helping to bring it out of the basement.

I have a ceiling fan maybe 8' from my basement stairs. In the winter i set it so its blowing air towards the ceiling. And then the ceiling fan in my living room on the main floor (180* turn, maybe 15 feet away) is set in the same direction. doing that it definitely seems to help bring the warm fireplace air up in the winter, and cool basement air in the summer. Air just needs a big of encouragement to move, and the natural airflows continue the process.

pila78

Reaction score
When I built my 2 story house in the 80s, I mounted a 36 inch ceiling fan in the ceiling of the upper story hallway, a few feet away from the stairway.
It works very well, and pulls the curtains away from the open windows on both floors when it's on, which is only in evenings when the outside temp cools down...
The house is 2100 sq ft. living space by the way..

Darius

Reaction score
Just wondering what the space at the lower right (rectangle) is for? Grandma compound? "1950's" bomb shelter? Beer stash, or weapons locker???

Maybe for visitor from the Cadillac Performance forum?? :yes:

d

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
The ceiling isn't very high in the lower level, it would have to be a pretty low profile unit.

Its not that huge a space, maybe about 20' wide. Its about half the width of the whole house, the other half is bed and bathrooms with normal ceilings. The top is the couch TV area. Mid is the dining room. Lower is more or less a home office and is a walkout. The bunker is the normal utility basement sort of thing. Its got the furnace, water heater and such in it.

I think I will start out with the single one over the stairs and see how it goes. Just a few hours ago I rigged up a box fan off the railing with some ratchet straps. Right now its blowing up. Just running on low I can feel slight airflow pretty much all over on the top level and it seems to be moving some air on the mid level. Will let it run tomorrow and see what it does in the lower level.

We did actually stop at the fireplace store today and have a guy coming out next week to see what we can do. Guy said its a good time to get it done, no waiting and lots of deals since they want to stay busy.