Cam install

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Natonia1969, Jun 13, 2018 at 4:11 AM.

1. Natonia1969

Natonia1969 Active Member

Hello all its your old pal Nate aka Natonia1969. been awhile. My bud mad cadder from formerly on here is giving me advice via text and phone calls but wanted to strike up some conversation in the ole forum. Im seriously considering installing my roller cam, roller lifters, adjustable roller rockers, aluminum heads and intake myself. The guy that Was going to oversee me, is just too busy to help. Anyway How many of you have done this with little experience? Im confident mechanically as far as replacing parts. I just don't want to mess up the timing since I have a small fortune in engine parts. Give me some input gents. Thanks

2. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Active Member

First of all Nate, what Heads, cam, lifters, rockers are we talking about, and do you have a push rod measurement tool?
    Greg Surfas

3. Natonia1969

I had one but now I can't find the damn thing I'll have to order another one i suppose. Ported MTS aluminum heads with correct spring set up. .650 lift cam, MTS adjustable rockers, Howard's (i believe) hydraulic roller lifters.

4. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Hi Nate, I have done this before with absolutely no experience whatsoever. Luckily, there is a tried and true formula!

1. Cam first. You do NOT want to grease the actual lobes of the cam with a roller set up. This will cause the roller on the bottom of the lifter to just slide, rather than roll. A film of regular motor oil will do the trick. Use assembly lube on the bearing surfaces. Gently slide the cam in, taking care to not bump the bearings too much. You're not trying to jam it in fast.

2. Heads next. New gaskets, and then torque to spec. This number depends on the fasteners you are using.

3. Lifters! Some guys soak their lifters in oil before they install them. I was told that this isn't necessary, but that it doesn't hurt. I just made sure that there was oil all the way around the roller and up the sides of the lifter. Install with the linkages facing the center of the engine.

4. a). Now it's time for pushrods and rocker arms. I assume you don't have pushrods yet. Mine were 9.300", and I ordered them from Smith Bros. When I went to install them, I dipped both ends in a cup of assembly lube and made sure they were fully seated against the lifter. I then turned out the adjusting nuts on the rocker arms all the way, and began to install them. The torque spec on these will also depend on the fastener. I would recommend using some of that ARP lube on the threads, especially since you have aluminum heads. Please don't over torque!

b). Now for adjusting the pushrods. There are several good articles and videos online in regard to this process. I would recommend watching several. The basic idea is to turn the engine over by hand, and, following the firing order, tighten all the adjusting nuts until the pushrods no longer have any up and down play. At this point, you should have a slight resistance when spinning the pushrod between your fingers. From here, turn it another quarter turn and lock the nuts down. Roller set-ups should require no further adjustment.

5. Now you can install the intake. Make sure the hole in the gasket perfectly lines up with the runners on the manifold and with the ports on the heads before you do any of this. Any hangover will kill power. I used RTV to stick the gaskets to the head so they wouldn't move around. Also makes for easy removal on the manifold later. A nice fat bead of silicone along the China rails will seal everything up well. Make sure you get it deep into the corner where the heads and block meet. Torque it down, remembering to be careful not to over tighten.

Off the top of my head, that's about it. Just remember to take your time, and you can never do too much research.

-Nick

El Diablo, Darius and Natonia1969 like this.
  5. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Nate,

Be sure to keep up posted AS you are putting that engine together. Pictures are alway a great way of following a project along.

With the help of those here, along with the experience and advice of the Mad Cadder, you will no doubt gain a bunch of knowledge and arrive at the end with a powerhouse of an engine!
    Best of luck with your build.

bro. d

6. Natonia1969

For sure, this should be in the upcoming weeks as my weekends clear up more. I have to knock this out in one full day bc i can only pull half of my cadillac into my garage so space is a main issue

7. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Active Member

Be sure you have pushrod clearance in the heads. Depending upon which rockers you have, and I personally do not remember the difference, the adjusters have to extend through the "bottom" a set amount to ensure oiling. This is what Marty told me about my set up so I would check with Paul for the necessary dimensions before you measure for pushrods.
    Greg Surfas

Natonia1969 likes this.
  8. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Yep, Greg is right. If they are too far out OR too far in you will have problems. Take one out completely and make note of where the oil hole is inside of the rocker arm itself. You have about a 1/4" of wiggle room due to a bevel on the adjuster. Make sure you measure your pushrods with adjuster set properly. As far as head clearance, those aluminum heads will easily clear 5/16" pushrods. That's what Paul recommended I use.

And ditto on the pictures! It will serve as record keeping in case you need to go back and double check your work without tearing the engine back apart.

I'm excited man, this engine ought to be a monster!

-Nick

Natonia1969 likes this.
  9. Natonia1969

Thanks, I'm sure nothing will fit right as far as the heads go. I had to put a 1/4 inch plate under the rockers to get correct geometry. I could understand shiming a little but geez.

10. Natonia1969

For the record I did not buy my heads directly from MTS I got them second hand from the company that used to port their heads but they were never installed.

11. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia Active Member

12. Natonia1969

I need to do a gasket and seal check off list also!