CadiPacer

shiftless

Reaction score
Rode up to the Louisville area this past weekend to pick up an Eldo engine from Phil Amin, and had the opportunity to look over his CadiPacer and take a ride in the little terror. It was a very clean, low mileage (still under 50k!) car to begin with, in great condition inside and out (just the usual small isolated Pacer rust areas from leaking window seals, but otherwise solid and clean) and the Cad swap is very clean and meticulous. Looking over this project and all of the others he's done, "Attention to Detail" is this man's middle name, and I was very impressed with the Pacer swap. The motor is a stock rebuild and it starts quickly and runs smooth and quiet. With the Walker exhaust most people would never guess it's got a big block. Even with the stock motor it pulls strong and would make a very nice driver just as it is, even with the locked rear end. If someone wanted to do some port work on the motor, put a cam in it, maybe build some headers, it would be an absolute monster. Phil's asking $6,000 for the car and I know the economy is bad, but one of y'all broke asses needs to scrape together the money and buy this thing, and you won't regret it. If you're in the market for a fun, practical toy, you couldn't beat this car. It's always nice to buy something that's well built and ready to enjoy, and not have to go back behind someone correcting their mistakes. Phil, you got any pics of that little monster to put up in this thread? :eyebrow: Thank you for the motor....looking forward to putting it to use. :thumbup:

Darius

Reaction score
Nathan,

You mentioned a "locked rear end." Do you know which rear and the ratios?

d

phil amin

Reaction score
It has the stock 8-7/8 AMC 20 ( 2:87 ratio-Pacer V8) same ring-P for ALL V8's including the 401
Has J-bolt Lakewood traction device.

Darius

Reaction score
phil amin said:
It has the stock 8-7/8 AMC 20 ( 2:87 ratio-Pacer V8) same ring-P for ALL V8's including the 401
Has J-bolt Lakewood traction device
Thank you Phil amin.

d

Cadiac

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
94 caprice HiPo, 05 Corvette, 02 Chev 2500 Duramax
Wheres the car at?

phil amin

Reaction score
The car is in Louisville KY. Ad was posted on CL in Kenosha WI. since its the birthplace of AMC and might have larger interest.

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
Was the Pacer one of the cars designed for the Wankel rotary? But when that didn't work out ended up with an AMC inline 6? IF so that combo was probably good when it comes to swaps since the Wankel was kinda wide and the inline was very long.

phil amin

Reaction score
The Wankel was to come from GM , but I forget some reason GM backed out ,,thus Pacer had to use the 232 in line 6. later to offer the 258cid,,then 2 years offered V8 304cid.. The Cadillac installed is 7 inches wider than AMC V8..so the Pacer was the only AMC car that could accept the width with out shock tower cutting etc. :flamed:

phil amin

Reaction score
Correction,, other FULL size AMC's might accept the wide 500 Cad engine with out shock tower cutting.:D

PROSTOCKTOM

Reaction score
This car was the reason I bought a 500 Cadillac engine years ago. I thought," Well it's a small body, so the Caddy will fit in my 69 Rambler". WRONG

Wasn't until I had the 500 hanging on a cherry picker that I found out the hard way. Didn't stop me, but it required a completely different front suspension to get it to fit.

Tom

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
Sounds like someone should design a suspension that screws directly to the motor mounts. Then only issue will be where to attach the body. Or not? Could be like the SBC bar stool.

phil amin

Reaction score
While engine mounts could be designed for this application,, the other unseen issue is the oil pan rework, or as we did
cut away the WIDE Pacer cross-member to fit the oil pan,, and re-enforced the cross-member with 3/8 stock.
Clearances were 1/8 acceptable in some areas.. Lot's of design engineering and adapt-and -overcome to pull this off,, took 9 months.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
PROSTOCKTOM said:
This car was the reason I bought a 500 Cadillac engine years ago. I thought," Well it's a small body, so the Caddy will fit in my 69 Rambler". WRONG

Wasn't until I had the 500 hanging on a cherry picker that I found out the hard way. Didn't stop me, but it required a completely different front suspension to get it to fit.

Tom
:thumbup:

Darius

Reaction score
Congratulations on the sale. I hope that the new owner will identify him/her self to the forum and that we'll being seeing more on the "life" of that special vehicle.

Best,

bro. d