Best carb?

airbrushguy

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1976 eldorado
What would be the best carb, manufacturer (Holley or Edelbrock,) and CFM size, for a stock 1976 500 with an Edelbrock manifold and no smog equipment?
TH400 trans, 2:73 rear.

Thanks

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Any 750 should be good. Or find a nice smog-free Q-jet.

Red98422

Reaction score
Ditto what 5one9 said, but with a caviat that you look at a vac secondary carb specifically. That are truly fantastic for mild or OEM built engines and easily tuned. My personal preference is Holley, but that’s only because I grew up with them. Any of the others are just fine if you are familiar with tuning them

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
I have had best luck with the Edelbrock on stock to mild. But what's wrong with your Q-Jet?

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I put a factory refurbished Street Demon 750 on Dad’s ‘49 Olds business coupe with a stock ‘73 455 Olds. $240 and just like new. No complaints. The thermoquad type phenolic body is nice too. Adjustable air valve secondaries will tune the bog out of it without removing the carb.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
If you are running a motor that is stock except for the intake manifold, a well "warmed" Quadrajet will be more than adequate for your needs. It flows just about 800 CFM, if the idle circuits are enlarged it will idle perfectly, has all the required attachments for the kick down switch and again if jetted correctly with an adjustable APT control probably can't be beat.
I ran a Jet Performance Stage III QJ with several more than stock modifications up until I went to a Roller Cam and an MTS Intake.
Greg Surfas

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Although the '76 Q-jet is fine in stock form, if building a Quadrajet up if yours is missing, get a '76 or later Caddy Q-jet that has electric choke, adjustable APT (adjustable part throttle A/F adjustment) capabilities and the full 800 cfm. The later models also don't have the fuel bowl leaks and have smaller floats and more fuel storage. Don't start with the high dollar buick or pontiac Q-jets, they are not any better. Don't use any of the mass rebuilt Q-jets for sale on Auto parts stores either.

Get the Cliff Ruggles Q-jet book for performance and rebuilding instructions and get your custom rebuild kit from him (get the larger fuel inlet seat for no extra) and post your questions on his Q-jet forum which he will answer directly.