Best camshaft for ported iron heads

James Sample

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1970 Cadillac
I'm building a 500 out of a '70 472 block. So far I have forged Cadco 10:1 pistons and forged rods, and Cadco Pro Street small chamber heads. Maximum lift for my heads is .600". I've been procrastinating on a camshaft and still have no idea what to get. I want maximum torque between 3-5k and a redline around 6k. The engine is going in front of a switch pitch turbo 400 so stall speed shouldn't be a problem. Also this is for a '70 DeVille. I'm willing to go with a roller camshaft but I don't want to pay more than 2 grand for a cam, lifters, and rods. Flat tappet seems like it should be fine too. What say you?

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Just to start this conversation my motor makes max torque between 3-5,000 and I needed a 3000 rpm stall converter to make it manageable. I’ve got a roller with a 258/256 at .050 and a little more lift than you say you want. If you plan on going this route you are goo oil ing to need a good shaft rocker arm set up, so $2,000 might be a bit light. I also found that 6k jaunts require some oil system mods. These motors are low speed torque motors not Chevys. I’ve got a CadCo SS300 cam that I ran for a couple hundred miles that made great power on the street and would work with a switch pitch converter. I pulled it and kept the lifters numbered so they could go back into their original positions when and if I used the cam again on a 10:1 motor. I listed it on the classified a while back but if you might be interested pm me.
greg surfas

James Sample

Reaction score
1970 Cadillac
Should have mentioned I do have 1.72 ratio non-adjustable shaft rockers to go with my heads.

G

G-619888

Mandatory for just about any high performance cam so you are that far ahead. Did I fail to mention the need for rocker arm covers that will clear that valve gear?
Greg Surfas

James Sample

Reaction score
1970 Cadillac
Funny that you mentioned that. I just noticed that aftermarket valve covers aren't plentiful and cast aluminum ones are quite expensive compared to say a Ford or Chevy motor. I saw some 1" spacers on eBay that seem reasonable so I may go that route

richie49

Reaction score
James
Are the shaft rockers the ones that CHP sold before they went to S--T?
I have my 1.7 shaft rockers under stock valve covers. The adjustables need more room because of the adjusters. I might have just been lucky. Maybe you can do the same. Those adapters are high $ . Good luck with your project.
Richard richir49

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Funny that you mentioned that. I just noticed that aftermarket valve covers aren't plentiful and cast aluminum ones are quite expensive compared to say a Ford or Chevy motor. I saw some 1" spacers on eBay that seem reasonable so I may go that route
Paid close to 500 semolians for these with shipping 1629937142957.png But what the hell! Early Cad script on a late model valve cover? Had to havem'! Besides. Who ever the Cad Gods are may cut production at ANY TIME! Not like there are a alot of guys runnin Cads.

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
OH Yeah! Almost forgot! only ONE!! REPEAT!! ONE company makes aluminum covers for the big Cad. Could stop at any time without notice.

James Sample

Reaction score
1970 Cadillac
The shaft rockers I have are Cadco stage III's. They're basically a Ford (FE?) iron rocker on steel shafts supported by an aluminum girdle. They have oil passages added from the pushrod through the rocker arm. They're sturdy looking.

James Sample

Reaction score
1970 Cadillac
So, assuming I have the right valve covers and good rocker arms; do I need a roller camshaft with less than .600" of lift? How much duration do you want with a 10:1 motor?