B&M or Transgo?

A

Anonymous

I want some opinions on which shift kit is better for a street-rod, no strip racing involved.

POTTER

Reaction score
IMO, you'ld be better off by drilling through a port in the valve body and moving and losing a check ball or two. Shift kits tend to starve the transmission of fluid in needed places. I'll be willing to bet Brode can tell you exactly what to do.If not, I'll ask my transmission guy. He will not use a shift kit under any circumstances.

Wasted

Reaction score
WITHOUT A DOUBT TRANS-GO.IMO

EASIER ON YOUR TRANNY THEN B&M

A

Anonymous

Potter,

Thanks...I'd love some more info.  I am a little nervous about taking a drill to my transmission...i'm more of a wrench puller...i take your guys' advice and then I do the bolting on...im not much for fabricating etc.  I'm going to keep your drilling suggestion in mind, but just how drastic is this oil starvation??  This car is a daily driver, and its not usually pushed very hard, just when i show off a little ;), and i would love to be able to install the kit with the trans still in the car rather than tear it out again.  I know you wouldnt recommend the shift kit, but is it a 'bad' idea as opposed to the drilling?

POTTER

Reaction score
I know the B&M is. I'll ask Donnie, hold on a minute.....tic tic    OK he said you take the 4 inner check balls out and leave the two on the front a rear in place and that's it on a 400. Sounds easy enough. Watch how you retorque the body when putting it back on. Don't over tighten and pull it down evenly as if doing a flimsy valve cover, making several laps around the bolts.

A

Anonymous

Potter,

Thanks a mill...but that sounds too simple...removing 4 balls?  And this will have the same effect on my shifting as the kits would?

shiftless

Reaction score
The Trans-Go kits are not designed to give you hard shifts, they are designed to correct some characteristics of how the transmission operates. A freshly built 400 with careful cleaning and polishing of the valvetrain (shift valves) to make sure they move smoothly and easily, combined with a Trans-Go kit, is the best option. You'll have a transmission that shifts smoothly while cruising and firmly (not harshly) at WOT, and lasts a long time.

The B&M and similar kits, on the other had, are just a kludge to make the transmission shift hard. I wouldn't use one.

A

Anonymous

This is what i read to make me consider the transgo reprogrammer kit...it says it gives harder shifts...but i've never used one so i dont know what to exp

POTTER

Reaction score
The firmer (not neccesarily snappy) shift will increase clutch life simply by not letting it slip as much. This is a good thing on any tranny. Sounds easy enough to do. Try it, if you don't like it, you can put it back and you've only lost one gasket. I had a stock 400 he did for my Camaro with only a trans brake added and some new clutches. Worked fine. Left on a 4400 stall with over 700 hp in a 3050# car with 15 x 15s. Didn't snap

A

Anonymous

Its a pretty heavy car...is this kit even smart to consider...i want a bit better shifting but i dont want to be pullin u-joints every 3 months.  I'm gonna try your idea Potter, sounds worth a shot to me, thanks.

shiftless

Reaction score
Potter's idea is good to try, but I don't understand your concern about U-joints. If you're breaking U-joints from a firmer-than-stock shift, something is wrong.

POTTER

Reaction score
They all use the same type ujoints in even the badest cars. The yoke that surrounds the joint usually goes first. Have them replaced "as needed" . I would also reccomend some sort of driveshaft loop for any higher performance automobile.  Right close to the tailshaft. Keeps the shaft from digging into the pavement and flipping you end over end.......and it will! The other end isn't as important because of it trailing, but still can be deadly. Do both if at all possible.

A

Anonymous

Like i said before i'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy...but i'm learning.  I was told to be cautious about the u-joints by a friend...apparently he doesnt know as much as he thinks he does.  The driveshaft loops are already on my to-do list.
Once again thanks for all the feedback....Does anyone here actually use a transgo shift kit?? If so what do you think of it after using it?  Facts and theories etc. are all find and good, by all means keep them coming...but i would like to know what someone's real life experiences have been like with this reprogramming kit.

brian

Reaction score
Hey j_f_oko
nice to see some other canucks on here! There is a few others as well.  I've used the transgo shift kit in a turbo 400. I installed it while in the vehicle. I used the kit that was meant for doing an overhaul though so i couldn't put all the parts in, but it worked ok wasn't too hard to do.
The 1-2 shift was firm but 2-3 wasn't the greatest. If you do use that kit, make sure to put in the orange spring that says" for racing only". I was later told by a very experienced transmission mechanic that you should allways put that spring in if you intend any performance usage. I didn't use it and my 2-3 shift suffered.
Brian