Anyone heard from 8AD-F85 lately?

grendel

Reaction score
Who else sent an engine to Tony?

I sent a Cad 500,a bunch of spare 500 parts, a high dollar LS2, a Jeep I-6 with a stroker crank.

What's your experience like?

danporterjr

Reaction score
I need to sell my caddy to recover some of my cash I sent... can anyone give me a real value for what I have? I believe it's a 472 (I never checked the crank to see if it's a 500) with stock bottom end. I have added MTS non adjustable shaft rocker setup with their push rods, Edel aluminum intake, Cloyes timing chain and gears, MTS#10 cam and lifter set, SBC valve springs. Had a valve job when I had it put together. The bottom end is all original and probably could use a re-ring kit at the least. I ran it on my airboat for several years with no issues. I also have a 500 rotating assembly and some other misc. extra parts from a donor engine I took apart. I also have a set of airboat headers for the Caddy. Also in the garage is a 455 Olds core engine off an airboat. It will most likely need rebuilt as I know nothing of the history for it. Currently going through a divorce so this whole situation doesn't help my financial health.

grendel

Reaction score
That's very similiar to one of the sets ups I sent. Shaft rockers, MTS cam, etc.

I'd say if it were fresh and ready to go, 2500-3500? If it needs rings, etc, 1250 to someone that knows what they're buying?

Core engines are 250-500.

8ad-f85

Reaction score
It's potentially illegal for me to address this thread directly as it would open up the individuals and the board to potential defamation lawsuits as well as criminal charges, so I'll have to be somewhat vague and offer some points to ponder.

I worry more about the forum being culpable as the publication source of financially damaging media.
It used to be that in defamation cases (for example) that if there was any merit to the claims, there would be no case.
Things have been revised significantly with the birth of the internet.
The forum itself can be held responsible for the same penalties as the individuals.

Same goes with using internets to financially leverage people, cyberstalk or recruit to send people to one's house to take photos under the premise that they 'might be shady' or arrange pickup of items when they aren't fully paid for or presently the subject of legal dispute.
BTW, the guy that stopped by apologized for his involvement once he heard that the items were not fully paid for yet.
Unwitting participants open themselves up to problems too. Still waiting for his PI licensing info.

The concern I have with this subject is that at least one participant of this thread has already been involved in a sizeable lawsuit over this very topic.

Hypothetically, if I were to say that my viewpoint is that I have been in contact with someone the entire time, including phone calls and Email...it could be viewed that I would be calling them dishonest.
Sometimes people use internet to garnish attention when the present communication is not going to their favor.
A thread like that/this paints a negative picture from any direction.
It's often a trap for someone, usually the honest person takes the beating from my experience.

Many individuals and businesses are getting away from Credit cards and Paypal because of the pitfalls of chargebacks and 'item not received' claims.
There are loopholes that allow a buyer to receive and keep a product and get their money back.
Those companies use that to wash their hands of the transaction and will even warn the sellers "Not to ship to that person", maybe even state that "they have done this before" or "seem to know the rules really well".

There can be tricky situations where a buyer communicates to you that they have enough paid in to cover at least one complete project but states to the payment method that the money was intended to be spread out as down payment towards several projects.
This presents a problem in that there likely will be no reversal if there's an ongoing claim. One side loses.
Another issue is when the price of each deal is under premise of completing several projects and because of the risk to both sides...the buyer threatens to pull the rest of the projects.
Maybe they never needed that many and used the situation to get a favorable quote. Hard to say, nor does it matter because one side loses again.

If there's a refund, the amount sent back is a negative balance for the seller when it's all spent on parts for more than one project, regardless if buyer receives one done. (usually it's not all returnable when custom specs are designated).
If you have subcon labor such as stroker crank grinding and piston coating you are double screwed because you have to pay those up front.

The other issue is that it might take months for the buyer to acknowledge financial responsibility for things that get worked on of theirs, or from the seller's cores.

This causes an effect where it seems like one person is holding onto their stuff.
The other view of it is that they have a right to feel they need to go a different direction with their own project.
That's fair and legitimate. Both sides are now financially damaged.

Paypal and others might warn you not to let someone "send a friend by to pick up items to save on delivery charges"...especially when there are ongoing claims through them.
The danger here is that there is NO tracking covering the purchase.
You will lose your item and have to file a court case.
Sometimes unscrupulous people know this and use it.
Assuredly, people that have been burned don't participate a second time.

There are also situations in where people have used pictures on internet forums for lawsuits.
I think we've all dealt with a crooked Ebay buyer or heard of claims of boxes containing phone books, rocks, etc..
When this has been a previous issue with your buyer and their previous clients, it would be wise to have outside sources inspect things before shipping.
If this offer is refused, consider it another red flag.

The pitfalls of buying and selling today create these Mexican Standoffs where both sides are pointing guns...waiting for the other to shoot. It never ends well regardless of the intentions of the individuals.
Are both naive or is one being led to slaughter?
Doesn't matter if you both end up with holes.

It is quite possible where because of these conflicts, a buyer says early on in the communications that "they will cease communications and go the legal route".
Kind of makes it look like one guy isn't responding. Maybe it's the other guy?

Then there's the predicament of sending someone's stuff back and wanting to be certain that they really want it back.
Maybe they have posted elsewhere that "the builder doesn't communicate well and may end up paying for all their misc and extra items outright :) "
It might take a month or more for the receiver to acknowledge and approve the shipping.
The sender is in a position where they might not want to have to pay for three pallets to come back when they are refused because they might be seeking judgement and forcing you to buy their unwanted stuff.
What if there's a claim of rocks and phone books because of past history suggesting the potential?
Maybe send one and make sure it gets received adequately before sending another.

How about the possibly innocent situation where the LTL shipper is waiting for the receiver's approval and has to resend emails or maybe says "Oops, I thought I sent that? I'll send it again" and "well, you know how the holidays go".
Could they have been instructed to delay things "because of the holidays" with the intent of seeking a judgement in the interim?

I guess I'll find out what that outcome is and if the receiver has the integrity to consider any judgements for cases filed in absentia (sp?) ...satisfied upon receipt of product.

This whole post creates no good for anyone.
If you try to force someone, they often dig in because they are entitled to their viewpoint.
Blame games are bad for both sides.
Sure...it damages the one accused of being slow to respond.
Pulling the money and threats of legal punishment early on causes delays with anyone, especially when the need to proceed with caution is created.
It also slows down and affects everyone else being worked with.
Those people were informed of the potential money problem in advance.
Some people create these leverages intentionally as a business tactic, although I'm not making that accusation.

On the other side, having a history of filing hefty lawsuits on people makes it difficult for anyone to want to do business, regardless of who's responsibilities are what.
I know I have an opinion to everything I've read on those public forums.
I'm inclined to believe the other guy just on principle.

In the end, I'd like to be able to leave a comment in the Feedback forum that John Jacott's Blue Ribbon Auto Restoration has well designed, creative and excellent quality concepts for their vehicles...even if we don't see eye to eye in our respective methods.

It's OK to be difficult to work with if the objective is quality, I know I am.
You can have it fast, priced well, or quality.
Pick two.

8ad-f85

Reaction score
A word of advice if facing financial pressures such as DUI, divorce etc.
Let the people you are working with know what's going on, especially if your money pressures might become their money pressures.

Dan, I did exactly that when applicable.
It doesn't seem appropriate to tell me that you and the wife are demanding refund after I communicate that, especially in light of your current predicament.
Implied and hopeful deadlines take a backseat if I think it's something I can't stand behind and I was OK with you getting a spare engine rather than settling up.
As it stands, I've previously offered to sell your project and repay your deposit with interest due to the fact that my money pressures affect yours.
I could have refunded you much earlier in the game with that communication and I'm sorry if your situation appeared suddenly.

I've previously sent a tentative invoice at fair market value with the intentions of eating the difference between that and our agreed price, being that it's incredibly discounted as a courtesy of being common forum members.
I'm OK eating what I have into your previous build too.

I thought all of these gestures would be worth it for the privilege of showcasing some outstanding builds in which we all benefit without the usual costs associated with things of this nature. I do not regret that.

It wouldn't make sense for me to finance completion for it to be sold at a loss or what you have into it because you changed your mind or have an emergency, nor is it going to be flipped on your end due to any pressure.
I cannot think of a more fair way to resolve than what's been suggested.

I've asked you to post your for sale items in the appropriate section rather than add to the notion that I have created crisis for you. We've kept in contact, there's no need to suggest otherwise.

8ad-f85

Reaction score
So enter the factor of human error amidst a high conflict situation where people are barely communicating.
I didn't want to partake in any 'airing out' here but felt it beneficial to the board.

I spoke with the shipping coordinator and learned that while we were waiting for approval and confirmation to send pallets, with periodic phone calls having the answer of "I haven't heard back from him yet"... she realized that it's possible that she hadn't sent the Email (or correct one?).
I'll add that I didn't want things sent until it was confirmed for certain.
After a period of time, I forced it onto the location minutes before closing up for the weekend, telling them that the paperwork should be ready for it.
The email chain can be sent if needed to clear up any disputes.
I can imagine this might change the motivation for litigation.

dave brode

Reaction score
I must say that I finally have come to realize that it sure looks like I too have been scammed.

A large crate of Cadillac parts
A pair of small block Chevy Brodix heads
A new set of small block Chevy valve springs
A pair of Vortec Chevy heads.

I've always thought that I was a good judge of character...…..

Anyone have advice on any possible recourse, post or PM, please.

Dave

dave brode

Reaction score
Cad Man:

I'm writing about Tony Doyle [8AD-F85]

I wish that it wasn't so. I bartered with him, a crate of caddy parts for head work. Many months have gone by. I've been very patient and reasonable. I've asked him more than once to at least send my chevy parts back, to no avail.

Last edited:

Monzallac 425

Reaction score
Tony [8AD-F85]

I wish that it wasn't so. I bartered with him, a crate of caddy parts for head work. Many months have gone by. I've been very patient and reasonable. I've asked him more than once to at least send my chevy parts back, to no avail.

Dave, you can file police charges for internet fraud. A couple of sites I'm on people have done it with great results.

Doug in P.R. :)