Anybody ever converted a distributor to a cam position sensor?

Psychoholic

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
72 Miller Meteor
Hey guys,

Pretty sure this is my first post even though I've been lurking for a while.

So I'm building a turbo motor for my '72 Caddy Hearse (M-M). She's arguably one of the more popular hearses on the internet due to a few VinWiki videos I did last year where I talked about my hearse adventures. I'm doing a MS3Pro (Megasquirt) and I think we have most stuff figured out but I'm struggling with how to set up the dizzy to become a cam position sensor. We have a crank position wheel already that we'll install on the back of the pulleys and pick up with a hall sensor.

And that is where the question comes in of 'how are the megasquirt folks picking up cam position?'.

Here is a video of us machining the intake:

If you wanted to see some of the VinWiki videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMe8d8Qeb-RqEGFmbPev4iw-9ACtwYSwz

I'll be posting updates on this forum as well as youtube throughout the build because as we find stuff out I'd like to return the favor that so many have done for me by posting their progress somewhere searchable that isn't Facebook.

Chris (Psychoholic)

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
66 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Duplex
Will you be running batch fire or sequential? For batch fire, you should be able to just use the tach output from the stock distributor (I'd definitely recommend HEI for this build.) It wouldn't matter which cylinder is firing, since each bank will fire whenever any cylinder fires. If you want to do sequential, it complicates things a bit. I'd check out a distributor from a Vortec SBC (96-98 C/K trucks/SUVs, 96-05 vans, with "crab" style dist cap.) You'll have to modify it to fit the Cad motor (maybe graft the lower drive from a Cad distributor to the Vortec upper) but it will give you a 1x cam position signal.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm building a turbo motor for my '72 Caddy Hearse (M-M). She's arguably one of the more popular hearses on the internet due to a few VinWiki videos I did last year where I talked about my hearse adventures. I'm doing a MS3Pro (Megasquirt) and I think we have most stuff figured out but I'm struggling with how to set up the dizzy to become a cam position sensor. We have a crank position wheel already that we'll install on the back of the pulleys and pick up with a hall sensor.

And that is where the question comes in of 'how are the megasquirt folks picking up cam position?'.

If you wanted to see some of the VinWiki videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMe8d8Qeb-RqEGFmbPev4iw-9ACtwYSwz

I'll be posting updates on this forum as well as youtube throughout the build because as we find stuff out I'd like to return the favor that so many have done for me by posting their progress somewhere searchable that isn't Facebook.

Chris (Psychoholic)
#SAFTEY 3RD!!!!
ROCK ON BROTHER!!!

Darius

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Chris (Psychoholic)

Chris (Psychoholic)

Are you that good looking guy narrating the above video? If so, I may have some business for you -- if you take outside work.

I recognized what appears to be a 14mm Bosch Style Injector Port Tool. If that's what it is, I need two 4 1/2 inch long rails made from dash-10 extrusion, with two injector ports each.

Interested?

bro. d

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Chris (Psychoholic)

Are you that good looking guy narrating the above video? If so, I may have some business for you -- if you take outside work.

I recognized what appears to be a 14mm Bosch Style Injector Port Tool. If that's what it is, I need two 4 1/2 inch long rails made from dash-10 extrusion, with two injector ports each.

Interested?

bro. d
Oh I see, He is the good looking guy!!! Lol. Send him a smiling picture of Mario and say its you. I am sure he couldn't say no then!!! Lol
PJ

Psychoholic

Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Chris (Psychoholic)

Interested?

bro. d

If you're talking about fella with the glorious beard? That is in fact me. :)

We can do those rails for you no problem. If you want to order a foot of the rail we can cut it and machine it for you. I bought mine from here: http://store.rossmachineracing.com/Dash-6-Fuel-Rail-Extrusion_p_167.html

Our shop is technically a 'furniture manufacturing' spot but the reality is that I occasionally build furniture for folks when I feel like it and the rest of it is us just having lots of toys with some of my friends. It's a side business mostly to maintain my sanity against my day job.

Darius

Reaction score
Oh I see, He is the good looking guy!!! Lol. Send him a smiling picture of Mario and say its you. I am sure he couldn't say no then!!! Lol
PJ

PJ, Snookems, don't be jealous? You will always have a special place in my heart. :p

Chris, thanks for the willingness. Shoot me an address either here, or by PM. I'll order up the extrusions from Ross then send you the material, plus the dimensions for port spacing. Let me know cost for your labor plus shipping.

HWC (AKA bro. d)

(PJ, The photos that Mario and I have are just for us.) :lipsaresealed:

Darius

Reaction score
LOL, I was looking forward to your witty response!! Thanks. You got me grinning pretty big on that one.
Man you aint right!!
PJ

Ain't never been right, and Don't Plan to Become Right!!

bro. d "A walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction, taking every wrong direction on 'my' lonely way back home."

Last edited:

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Kris Kristofferson………………...I kid you not, I just watched 'Convoy' last night for at least the 10th time.

2JvLo

Reaction score
66 Cdv 500

Psychoholic

Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
I did!, Could send you the drawing or make me an offer for the whole distributor. It's made with an hall sensor and 16-1 trigger that allows an megasquirt to run cam only without losing accuracy.

Do you have a picture of it? I'm trying to reduce the overall height so I think I might have to just make one so I have a better shot from the intercooler to the blow through hat. I'd love to see how you did it!

2JvLo

Reaction score
66 Cdv 500
This one is made to be used without a crank trigger and with distributor for some how stock looks, Did another one a couple of years back that was just a trigger .. Will see if i can find some images of that. It used a volvo cam sensor.
IMG_20190717_090538.jpg

DaveM

Reaction score
This is a picture of a 75-79 fi distributor. In the box are two magnets 180 degrees apart. One high and one low. They were used for batch fire injectors. The top could be cut off and just use it as a cam sensor.