After market connecting rods for 472/500 Cad

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by gordon, Feb 2, 2020.

1. gordon

gordon New Member

Any one making a forged rod for use on an unmodified Cad crank? I know people have cut the cranks to use 7.1" Chrysler and Chevy BBC rods. Would like to just hang a 7.1" rod on my 500 crank with out cutting it down. If push comes to shove I will use a BBC version and adjust stroke. Thanks.

2. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

call up Courtney over at Cad500parts.com he should have what you need.

3. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

Both MTS (Cadillac high performance) and the Cad Co. offer forged rods in both standard and 7.1 inch lengths. I personally am using a set of K-1 7.1 inch rods I bought from MTS and am happy with them.
    Greg Surfas

4. 48Austin

48Austin Safty First! Then pull the trigger!

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    I don't know about the "Forged" rods. Made in china. Scat, Eagle, Falcon. At the price, all china. Even Carrillo low cost rods. At 500 or less makes me question integrity. For what it costs to build the big Cad, I don't like the odds. I'm still looking for info on aluminum. Can get them, but need to know girth. So do I have to grind the block or not.

5. underdog

underdog Member

I ordered & paid for a set of 7.1 rods from MTS (CHP) in Nov. '18. Was told they were out of stock at the time, but would get them in
    a couple of weeks. Played the email/phone game for months, (they quit returning emails after about 6 months, & rarely answered the
    phone when I called, wouldn't return calls after I left message). Around Sept./Oct. '19 I finally got Paul on the phone & was told they
    would not get any more made. I'm still trying to get my money back. Had to file a complaint with the BBB.

I don't see 7.1 rods on Cadco's website, but maybe they have them.

Would be nice to use the new Probe pistons I've got that are for 7.1 rods. I would go with bbc rods, but my machine shop won't offset grind cranks anymore as they say it's really hard on their equipment. (stones)? I know I can find a shop that will, but again, it's more money.

Red98422 and SHAKEDOG like this.
  6. 48Austin

48Austin Safty First! Then pull the trigger!

1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    I would look to BME or https://www.rrconnectingrods.com/. But then you are in the same dilemma I'm in. Will I need to grind the block or not. Nobody has given me an answer. I Want to go aluminum to lighten rotating mass for quicker revs, not higher, just quicker.

7. robocop

robocop Member

1987 Cutlass Supreme 2 door with 500 Cad/Turbo 40
    The Olds 455 connecting rod is of the same length and dimensions as the Cad rod. So you can use one of the aftermarket Olds forged rods to upgrade your Cad.