a can of worms

pila78

Reaction score
My high-beam indicator light went out again and other dash lights lights were acting up,...So, the dash gauge panel cam apart again, to figure out what's going on. It's a real fun job, with some engine gauges mounted in the bezel, and the radio rack is also mounted in it. I removed the backing panel, which has connector for the printed circuit for the dash lamps. Turns out that the connector for the printed circuit, which is mounted in the main backing panel, behind all the crap in front, has a clip that wouldn't keep it in place and straight. Looked OK until I suspected everything in there, and noticed the clip not latching, making the connector engaging on one end & not the other :irked: So I had to make a small aluminum piece the put under the the clip to make it latch in. With that fixed, I decided to replace the radio with a Pioneer, swapping the wiring from one radio harness to to another...
So while I was motivated to fix all this crap, I decided to make the electric fuel pump quieter... :grumpy: It's under the removable panel in the front of the bed, which is also sealed to keep water out. After the panel was off, I glued some 1/2 inch thick rubber mat in around the cavity where the pump is mounted, and around the cubby storage box that mounts from in the cabin into the cavity, where the pump is located. under the bed. Not sure yet how much it helped, didn't run it after all the work yet. Anything would be an improvement at this stage.

If the pump is running at a traffic light, people look over & wonder what the hell all the howling is about :D

Nick Campagna

Reaction score
Go to the Pioneer wiring diagram. Many (most) Pioneer radios require a separate return to the radio from each speaker. It has to do with the way Pioneer H-Bridge output stages are designed. The standard "one wire to the speaker and return through the body ground" will not work properly, and can damage the Pioneer output stages.

pila78

Reaction score
My fuel pump still makes too much noise, even after some insulation around it. I may switch to a Holley. I had one a few years ago & don't remember it making this much racket...

Member 3508

Reaction score
Hi Bill;

Your approach to quiet the fuel pump is a "muffle" approach. You need to try an "isolate" approach. Can you get stuff from McMaster Carr? Check out part number 9376K18 as an example. Its NOT the correct dimension/model for your application, its just to show you whats available.

If you're interested, here are the necessary calculations needed to select the perfect isolator. Or tell me what fuel pump you have and ill see what i can do for you.
http://karman.com/products/selection-steps

McMaster doesnt list that much depth on the website, but if you call them, they are very helpful. I've bought isolators from them in the past for an air conditioner compressor unit, and i was very impressed with how they work. If you select the correct one for the application, its has a very effective noise cancelling effect.

Right now its so noisy because its resonating the entire body of the car.

pila78

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up on McMaster-Carr. I buy stuff from them occasionally & have their catalog. I'll check them out !

Bill

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
Just get 3" flowmaster series 44 muflers and end the exhaust at the rear axle..
No more fuel pump noise..

Seriously I have gear rotor edelbrock fuel pumps on both cars
You would think a gear rotor pump would be quite.. You can still hear the pump
despite the wonderful exhaust sounds I have