81 Trans Am 500 Caddy

Monzallac 425

Reaction score
13:73 in the quarter , it's in the post on "post your build"? Never drove it on the street but never overheated with a small aluminium radiator, that plate riveted on the back of the water pump, 160* termostat , bottle of water wetter, and the Ford Taurus 2 speed fan even in 110 * racing heat.

With the original Pontiac built 151 4 speed ,16:86 ran Was like 20:?? Stock in the quarter , did the best in NY - 4th place for a season , did better there cause they had the regular tree lights, not the Led tree that AZ had.

Put in the 425 cause the 151 could not compete in the class in Az and it didn't like the heat. Did the best there 17th place for the season.( Made the cut for the divisional finals in Las Vegas but didn't go)

NY season : every Sunday April to October

AZ season : 7 races total Feb -June

Flat towed to all races except early in the early 90's when starting to go racing again.

Last raced before in 77 with the 62 Belair and the 62 Impala wagon.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited:

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
P.j. McCoy
Have you made any more progress on your T A
Richard richie49
Richie thanks for checking in. I have not. I installed the T.C. got the T/A legal for the road and never drove it after the initial T.C. test drives. I've had some serious family health emergencies that came back to back. This year is one I look forward to ending.
Its sad because I was so close to finishing and now she turned into a shelf collecting dust. I havent even started the engine in months. My parents have taken a lot of my time. I am glad to give it to them.

On an positive note:
I have put together a plan to upgrade the rear end and build better engine mounts. Upgrade the fuel lines going into the tank. I believe the tanks fuel assembly unit(with float and sock) is the choking point of the fuel delivery system.

Also I have all the "right parts" for my QuadraJet Build too. I have invested so much time reading and taking apart the QJet, it seems simple to me now. I just have to drive the car and use the junk q jet to find what piston spring will be best for my camshaft. Then I am going to start with a jet/Rod combo of 75/48. This will give me a cruise ratio 7% over stock cruise. (Lite throttle) but a w.o.t. of 17% over stock. This should be a good starting test point. Most caddy engines in cars like Nova ect with a little better cam, intake and headers like jets in the range of 75-77. Using rods from 46-52. It really is about how the cam pulls on the carb. My carb now has 70/40 jet/rod combo. I put in 72 jets. Really woke the car up. More throttle response earlier but still leaned out at 4000 rpms, Thats using just the front two barrels. My stock mechanical pump just can not keep up. (my holley red will flood the qjet even with the regulator @5 and a return line)
So I figured I would use Lars paper and start at 75 jets and keep my cruise area near stock for better mpg. Time will tell. I do need to get out there and make progress. Just dont have it in me right now. Part of lifes ups and downs. Take care Rich.
Thanks again for checking in on me.
PJ

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
PARENTS? Who need THOSE! Just kidding. Mine haven't been around for a few to many years that I want to know. If they need your help, give up everything and help them!

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Here is an update on my dash. Since it was out and the vynal was cracked, I decided I would try my hand at fiberglass. The easy part is done. Getting the dremel steady around the tight corners is a challenge.
I still haven't completes the fuel lines or sub frame braces. Or the rear drive gears for the GM Corp 10. Man they are like finding gold. I'll be better off using an after market position set up. Or go with a form

Attachments

• 20191215_154014.jpg
    20191215_154014.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20191215_165119.jpg
    20191215_165119.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191215_165050.jpg
    20191215_165050.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
The dash looks like there is alot of filler. Its not thick anywhere. I have about 20 hrs into it so far. The detail work has just begun.
Any advice for me?

Attachments

• 20191215_165043.jpg
    20191215_165043.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Have you ever taken this car to the track?

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Not yet. I was planning on it back in June 2019 then some things came up and I had to readjust my plans. I am planning on it this spring. Now that I am back in the game
I will surely let you know the results

5one9

Reaction score
Not yet. I was planning on it back in June 2019 then some things came up and I had to readjust my plans. I am planning on it this spring. Now that I am back in the game
I will surely let you know the results

Be sure to

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread.
Covid-19= no track time.
I am focused on my interior and electrical. Moving my MSD into the cabin area, attacking the A/C switching thingy that is broke. Wiring the 3 speed fan blower up. And a few other odd things electrical.

Last year my dad took a hard hit on his health and mom got cancer. It rocked my world. Then my wife took ill, double whammy!! I am no longer wabbling while I walk. I got a good stride now and plan to keep it.

So, I am going to focus on the smaller things with my car and post here for any who may be interested. I plan on "bedcoating" all my plastics on the Trans Am. The dash has proven tough so far. I even dropped it on garage floor just to see. It held UP. It did scratch it good. Some spray and sanding, can't tell. So now I am going to do everything. I believe it will be an amazing finish and look better than new.

So most of my post about my car will be here. Unless I get a snag and ask for help.

After the help is received the end result will be posted here.

Blessed
PJ

5one9

Reaction score
Keep the updates coming

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Had a busy week. But I was able to put together a video of my dash progress. Tell me what you think. Should I do the interior plastic trim like this too?
Enjoy

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
The last picture shows the pitting of the aluminum gauge cluster. I tried sanding but the pitting was bad. So I SANDED OFF the cool pattern. I really had no choice. I am now trying to figure out how to do a unique to me pattern. Of course I will polish the aluminum to a nice deep shine first.
Any ideas out their??
Anyone done anything cool to your dash?
Got picks?
PJ

5one9

Reaction score
Heck yea that looks good!