81 Trans Am 500 Caddy

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Austin, my cam calls for a 2000k stall. It makes power at 1800-5500. So I believe that 2500, (it was made for big block torque) will be perfect. If I kept the 3.08 it might push that converter to 2800 or 3k. The 3.42 will take about 15% of the load off the motor. So I should be just fine. Cross my fingers.
CadMan and many others run higher stalls. But I believe they have lock up stalls. On older posts back in the day,
Depending on tire size, the 3.42 and up were racing gears for this motor. I have been told by Tom that 3.08 gear would perfect with the weight reduction and performance increase of the motor and trans.
I have a friend (John)who does Mud Boggs, his Chevy 454 rear crush sleeve, crushed alittle more that he needed it to during a run. He believes his rear end went due to the crush sleeve failing. He was at the edge of his pinion drag and thought it all good. Lasted for a while, he said he always felt like this was going to bite him later. He believes it did. Now he has a crush sleeve eliminator. Its a pain to install. So Ive been told. He is going to help me set my back lash, as he has a bunch of bearing spacers from bone yard diffs. Kinda excited to have a bit of help.

3.42 gears
2500 stall Hughes HD BP400
Made for performance big blocks.
Hughes rep said it would be perfect for my street driven car. Its made to be thrashed on behind the big block.

Darius

Reaction score
Bro. PJ,

Seeing your new, revised list of things to do caused me to feel depressed at first glance!

However, on further consideration I recognized that all of the steps we undertake with our various projects are just that, steps. Nothing will EVER happen until something gets done. That is simple logic.

No hot rodding project gets done by fairies in the night who magically have it ready for us the next day. The steps take planning and work, and if we aren’t aware of that in the beginning we certainly become aware of it as the days wear on.

So, let’s drop the depression and get on with the job.

I haven’t been out to the garage in about a month. Health issues have plagued me but so have the bitterly cold winds, and some disappointments with the forum. Today I’m not feeling any better and the winds they still blow, but I’m heading out to the garage to make a couple of measurements. I’ll call that progress.

d

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
I was playing around with ya.
Look at this.
I am into deep now.
My Vert came in today as well.
PJ

Attachments

• 20190227_134955.jpg
    20190227_134955.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190227_135120.jpg
    20190227_135120.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Keep on, keeping on! :thumbup:

d
Ya, im dropping the trans tonight. Install the vert tonight. Install trans tonight.

Then focusing my time on that rear end.

Axles out too. Now. In thinking axle bearings and seals.

Ive got some problems I need help with. I will post another thread about that.
PJ

Darius

Reaction score
[QUOTE="PJ McCoy, post: 202235, member: 4414 " ]Ya, im dropping the trans tonight. Install the vert tonight. Install trans tonight.

Then focusing my time on that rear end.

Axles out too. Now. In thinking axle bearings and seals.

Ive got some problems I need help with. I will post another thread about that.
PJ[/QUOTE]

Congratulation!

I too kept to my word and made in out to the garage to take those measurements.

bro. d

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
I hope not! But it has crossed my mind. I really want a blown LS or LT engine in the TA.
Dwayne
Yeah, its cheaper to bluid LS power.[/QUOTE]
But no challenge!
Go to summer car show or to the track with the hood up and watch everybody ask "What the hell is THAT"!

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Had some set backs on the trans. That Husrt Shifter I installed about a year ago. I had to cut a hole in my tunnel to allow the trans brace to bolt to the frame. So i removed the shifter. That was fine. I slid the trans back and the pins on The block were holding the trans! I am like why is this not moving back towards the rear? The shifter mechanism was still inside the cab.
Sometime last year, AFTER installing the shifter. I moved the motor around because it shifted and hit the pass. Side upper control arm. I had to bring the motor up about 1.5"
Anyway, my blocks under the trans "BLOCKED ME" The floor jack was as low as it could go. My stands are used up on the rear end and the front of the car.

That part alone burned up 3hrs and I used up all the strength I had in my arms. I twisted pulled pushed to remove the blocks. Fluid spilled out. I mean allot of fluid.

Finally got it down and the Vert out. I didnt think about before tonight. But I need to replace the front seal, the Hughes snub was 1thou smaller than what was in there. Replace the seal. I am sore all over. God knows I need a car lift. 4 post lift. Something. This just aint fun like it use to be. Getting old sucks!:unsure:
PJ

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Then you die!!!:(:(:(

Ciao,
Mario
But I aint dead yet!! hahahaha
PJ
I feel like a whipped dog today. I really pushed myself hard. Ive been battling this chest cold since Jan3rd. Docs say, its an URT, A virus in sinus and chest. Its not bacterial so they cant treat it.
Anyway I got the trans bolted back up to the block. cross brace back in. Still have to bolt vert to flex plate. I need some spacer. 3/16th if I can find them. I will head out to Fastenal in the morning. But I also worked on the rear gear swap. I posted that in the other thread. I feel real good about how much I got done. BTW this was with no help and all on the floor rolling around under the car. kids were in school friends were at work. My cough is terrible, I think its time to get some of grand ma's tea out.
She would mix tea or coffee or whatever, with her whiskey! a lot of lemon and honey. My Pop's makes it with crown royal, Im fond of the way he makes it.
crown with coke, 2 glasses back to back. Followed by a honey/lemon hall cough drop. Those halls really work too. By the time one is 1/2 way melted I usually feel pretty good. Sleep good too.
PJ

pila78

Reaction score
So much fun, crawling around under a car ! Wrestling the trans out to replace an O ring on the pump housing ! I did one thing to help that scenario..all my exhaust clamps are band clamps & the pipes come apart easy to get them out of the way. Still have a hesitation on the 1-2 shift to deal with....likely valve body gasket, or maybe all the bolts aren't torqued tight enough, or.....been driving it like that for a while...
Sorry about your Bro-in-law PJ....

53 Studillac

Reaction score
PJ,
You stated you are needing 3/16" spacers? Is that because you are using a Chevy trans with a BOP adapter? The torque converter should slide forward to bolt up to the flywheel while still being engaged with the trans pump. Maybe I missed something?

My condolences to your family Darius.

Dwayne

50olds

Reaction score
50' olds
Anytime you pull a trans its nice to have a spare slip yoke to put in there to keep it from dumping out on you. That or one of those red caps the junkyard uses. I have a whole bunch of those very handy.

Be careful wrestling unsupported transmissions! I broke my hand with a 3 spd saginaw in highschool. Now i run a ratchet strap across the underneath of the car to catch it. Then you can climb out from under, take the jack out, and release the strap. :thumbup:

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
So much fun, crawling around under a car ! Wrestling the trans out to replace an O ring on the pump housing ! I did one thing to help that scenario..all my exhaust clamps are band clamps & the pipes come apart easy to get them out of the way. Still have a hesitation on the 1-2 shift to deal with....likely valve body gasket, or maybe all the bolts aren't torqued tight enough, or.....been driving it like that for a while...
Sorry about your Bro-in-law PJ....
Fiddle it. Just run "zoomies" and baffles. But they're no fun!