81 Trans Am 500 Caddy

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by PJ McCoy, Jul 23, 2015.

1. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Thats is common I dont know why though.
    I would like to make the mods to the upper and lower control arm that Peter made on his car. Old post.
    I have not done much with my car lately. Doing spring cleaning A.K.A. honey do list. I should have made a "RULE" in my wedding vows. No list is longer than 3 items in any given year. And absolutely no adding to the list. PERIOD.
    ive got 3 more years left. At 25 yr Ann. We are renewing our vows. Im sliding that one in their.
    Lol
    PJ

2. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia Well-Known Member

We took a cruise recently and they had a couple come up on stage that was married 62 years.

They asked them what is the secret to a long marriage and her reply was;

He won't die

35 years for Ted and Marie this year and I don't plan to die either.

PJ McCoy, Darius and kzhurley like this.
  3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

( 35 years for Ted and Marie this year and I don't plan to die either.)

Congratulations Ted! Please extend my sympathies to Marie.:)

bro. d

4. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Hahahaa. Maybe because she keeps him healthy by all the honey do lists. Lol.
    Congrads on 35yrs. Whats your secrete?
    Itching ears.
    PJ

5. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Brother you are a trip.
    Daring too

6. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Ordered up some rear bearings and seals.
    Bro.D inspired me to do something. So I will be asking questions soon about the rear gear swap
    Crossing my fingers.
    PJ

7. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Quick up date:

I have done NOTHING to my car.

Pj
    Thats a quick update.

richie49, kzhurley and peter phillips like this.
  8. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

GET BUSY!! You'll feel better afterward. :D

bro. d

9. peter phillips

peter phillips Active Member

Hey PJ. My car needs nothing done to it. (oh gawd I hope I don't regret saying that) I've been working on the Meteor and the Tribeca.
    Peter

10. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Pete, you are treading on thin ice with that statement.
    Lol

11. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Well I did make some progress. The intake "Edel" is on. The quadrajet is apart! ( had to get numbers for Cliff) so it will be apart for a few weeks.
    I did put the Holley on. What a different.
    No changes except intake and carb. Fires up with one revolution then BAM!!!
    (After the float bowls were filled)
    I have more manifold Vacuum too. I really hogged the crap out of the stock intake. After about 3 min. Of idle, i snapped the throttle.
    I thought the motor was going to jump out of the car and the driver fender with it.
    It would roll the car frame before but never this quick or this violent. Ill post a vid soon.

I do have 2 issues.
    1. How to fix a gas leak at the fitting of a Holley dual feed fuel line.
    2. Gotta lower the motor or remove the hood if I want to test drive it.

I was the lone ranger today. So no hood removal and you damn well i want to drive the car.

The fuel leak is from a brass fitting that is screwed into the end. Its about one drip every 3-5 seconds.
    Thanks.
    PJ
    Ps. I might be able to lose the hood if I remove the stud from the carb. But it WILL HIT THE HOOD.
    IT WILL JUMP UP AND HIT.

Man. So drop the engine down and allow the manifold Pass. Side sit on the upper control arm or cut a hole.

12. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Up Date:
    The intake with the Holley really woke her up. I meant woke her up as in aint no one sleeping around my neighborhood. She is loud and proud. From the sound of "SMOKE" AND TWO TIRE STRIPES 16' long and From the tune of the exhaust cranking out vibes to 4800k. She rocks.
    Had the car side ways as I smashed the gas and turned on my lane.
    It was so much fun. Real real good fun
    The trans shifts at 3300 so not much thrill there. UNTIL I manually shifter her back down into 2nd and hold her to 4800.
    Honestly I have not felt the car pull this hard to 4000. Normally it would stumble sputter then try to catch up. Now she really pulls to 4800 and I am Blown away.
    One of the best days yet with this car. She is still smooth and lazy until I take over the shifter lever. Oh yeah this was with the air cleaner off. I know it was a bad idea. But I did it and I enjoyed it. This is with the 3.08 rear gear. I am going to be well pleased when I get the 3.42 rear gear. With my tire size being 26. If my memory is right that puts me closer to 3.50.
    Again. I had a blast today.
    Holley 780. I installed a new secondary diaphragm and lighter spring. The paper clip showed rear is opening up only 1/2.
    When I get it to open full I believe she might pull a little faster. I also swith the pump cam to orange.Guys Ive had a big grin all day.
    At 95mph I had to let up the gas. The front end was up in the air and starting to get a side to side wave going. Scary! Something is not right. I thought those cars were going to be smooth at those speeds. Not so with this one. Hey Im not complaining. The screaming eagle was as happy as I was. I thought for a second the car was smiling at me when I got out and headed into the house. I had to look back one more time before going inside.
    I had a great day!!!
    PJ

13. FauxPontiac

FauxPontiac New Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1964 Lemans
    Hey that sounds great that you have had it on the road and have found the path to making it happy and strong.

Having a T/A back in the day meant getting some T/A.

I once had a well worn 79 T/A with T-tops once in Special Edition gold (50).

I couldn't get positive camber on the alignment rack after replacing the springs/rebuilding the front end and consulted my instructor. He said those front crossmembers have been known to sag; such that the upper control arms move closer together.

We moved it over to the Kansas Jack frame rack and did a good pull with chains hooked around the upper control arms/shafts pulling in opposite directions. Long story short, I heard some definite chiropractic pops, was able to get positive camber finally, but then it started having phase vibrations in the driveline. I found one of the pops was a broken left motor mount, then the tail shaft bushing went out of the THM400. Replaced that, rephased the drive train, replaced the dizzy, valve stem seals, and timing chain in the 403 because the timing mark never looked consistent. That was the death knell. It started smoking like a chimney. I tore down the engine, it had already been punched to .040 by Four Star Remanufacturing and there was up to .021" of new taper in the bores. It then gave its life that other Trans Ams might live. That car got picked clean. The only thing I gave to the iron recycler was the block and .040 pistons and rods. Somebody came by later wanting those worn pistons. I stared at him in disbelief. He said it is no big deal; he would just bored out his block out less than 040". :laugh:

The reason I am mentioning that is not in regards to your steering at high speeds, but rather your clearance issue with being able to drop the engine down more without hitting the control arm upper shafts. Think about it. You might want to take a torpedo level/straight edge to your wheels and see if your camber is negative. Beyond that, would changing over to the shaker hood give you more room?

This sure is a nice project. I miss my T/A but don't miss sitting down on the wet seats and going to class. I got tired of the gold and really envy the blue.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    PJ McCoy likes this.
  14. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Up date:
    I am I process of doing the rear gear swap. I've got the driveshaft out and wheels off.
    Lol.
    To be honest I am scared I am going to screw this all up. I've got everything I need except the C-clip eliminators. Also I hate, can't stand. Despise burnt smell, stinky, never wash out of the cloths, gear oil.
    Now that's out of my system. I am asking for prayers/advice/direction/ ect.ect.ect.
    Just don't really like the thought of tackling this alone.
    If I screw this up I cant drive. I love driving this car. I need to "Grow some boots and pull my Balls up by the straps"
    PJ
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

kzhurley likes this.
  15. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

Good luck on your install....

Some things seem way overcomplicated until you actually get into it.. Then sometimes a lightbulb comes on..lol

If you keep all the stuff in order from your 3.08 gears, you can always go back to those if need be....

O, and the gear oil isn't the worst smell... The posi additive is...
    Good luck

PJ McCoy likes this.
  16. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Say PJ,

Not to worry. You are NOT alone! That is part of the reason we all come here, to be NOT alone. We each have faced those times when those thoughts and feeling have been there. Lord knows that I have.

And as far as growing a pair, you took care of that long, long ago. Doing what you've done has taken a brass pair!! :eek:

A week ago at the monthly meeting of the local Studebaker club the president asked the members how many there wrenched on their own vehicles. Out of the fifty or so present I think THREE ( --3) hands went up. That blew my mind. Here the owners were with an orphan marque and they didn't do their own work??? Like, where in the hell do you go to get work done on a Frickin Studebaker?? The company has been out of business longer than some members on this forum have been alive. PJ, you want to talk about feeling alone … let me tell you, I understand that feeling.

Hang in there Brother, and not by your balls! :rolleyes:

bro. d

Red98422 and PJ McCoy like this.
  17. hertzdaddy

hertzdaddy Active Member

You'll be fine. I managed to get my posi carrier set up per Tom's Differentials how-to vids on Youtube. I would have done the rest myself too except that I didn't have a good setup to measure backlash at the time. It didn't seem overly complicated though. Definitely stinky!

PJ McCoy likes this.
  18. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Well I have that little bottle of stinky stuff. I will make sure I don't open it until needed for sure.
    Thanks everyone for the support.
    Ill see if I can find that vid and check it out. Thanks
    PJ

19. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

I chickened out on the rear gears-AGAIN!!
    maybe I'll try it when there is snow on the ground. In afraid I'll ruin the rear end and not be able to drive the car at all.
    Also I have welded in the subject frame connectors yet. That needs to next.
    1. Why change rear gears when the torque of the 3.08 is enough to pop my windshield?
    a. Going to the 3.42 will just multiply
    the torque at the rear wheels.
    2. Weld in sub frame connectors will
    strengthen the car. That will done next.
    Here are some pics I tool today. I also found a vacuum leak today. Look at the pic and have a good laugh. I ended up using it for P.C.V., is that OK?
    PJ

Attached Files:

20. Cad Man

Cad Man Member

It's just 2 gears.
    Pressing bearings is the hard part
    Same side shims in case that are in now go back in.. make sure they go back to the same place they came from you can mic or use calipers across the pinion from bearing seat to the back side do that on both old and new pinion subtract the difference if there is any and that's the change in pinion bearing shim.. . Saves getting a pinion depth tool or figuring a different way of checking without one.. I have done both

I also use a hot plate to make the new bearings go on easier. Just don't get the plate too hot or you'll temper the races

I used sockets and a dead blow for bearing installer to make sure they seat

Btw
    If you try to pattern it you'll just drive yourself nuts trying to figure out what your looking at...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    kzhurley and PJ McCoy like this.