81 C10, 76 500, T56 build

Cthibo366

Reaction score
First, the vehicle is a 1981 Chevrolet C10 that I've owned for 10 years now. My father and I built it, finished it. I finished off 2 motors and 3 transmissions in it over the past 4 years until I set it aside for a couple years. I've finally decided to pull it back out and get it on the road. HAD a LS 5.3 for it and I recently purchased a lt1 style T56 six speed for the project. Was planning on running the 5.3, but something made me want to do something completely different. Keep seeing LS builds everywhere. Truck is going to be all street and a DD but I like flogging it every now and then.
ENGINE is going to be a 500 out of a 76 coupe deville I just purchased. Car is pretty rough but it's going to be for sale as soon as I get the motor out. Or ill part it out, which ever dont matter to me. I am amazed how good the chrome on it is still tho for a 40 year old car.
Plans for the motor really depend on condition of tear down. If Cylinder walls seem fine i Just plan on a cam,valve and head job. From what I've read a mts 15 seems to be the popular cam to go with. I have questions about the rocker arm set up about which one is recommended for a mild set up. I'd LIKE for the motor to hit 5000 rpm.
Also have questions about the manual set up. Some people say it can't be done. Some say it can, some say it needs a bop belhousing.
Going automatic is definetly NOT an option.
Just curious on if anyone else has done a mild t56 set up like I'm shooting for.
Thanks

pila78

Reaction score
Not sure the MTS 15 cam will work OK with stock rockers, but others here will know for sure. You will also need to replace the timing set, which likely has the plastic cam sprocket.
Seems like a Chevy bell housing and an adapter plate for the Caddy engine bolt pattern should work, along with an adapter for the pilot bearing in the Caddy crank etc (?)
Not sure either about the survival of the T56 behind a torque monster Cad 500 :D

samIam

Reaction score
Any upgrade to the rocker setup will be good. I've got adjustables and had the stage 1 stuff too. Both were good setups for the 10 and 15 cam I had them on. I'd pick the 15 also, the 10 was better off the line but the 15 a good cam. 10 has smooth idle, 15 has a little lope but still pretty smooth.

dave brode

Reaction score
Welcome;

Like Bill [pila] said, seeing as the T56 is chev, you will need an adapter, unless there's a bop[c] bell made for them. MTS and CadCo will have manual flywheels and the pilot bushing. I've not looked into it, but I ASSume that the crank could be machined for a std chev bearing/bushing.

The 15 is pushing it with stock rockers imo. I ran a slow ramp 292/302, 232/240 .527" Howards. I ran [and recommend] GM beehives at apx 95 lbs seat, and the rockers were still showing signs of stress. Fyi, that was a re-ringed '75, 500, pretty much same as yours.

:twocents: Put a rev limiter on it set at 5000. With stock valves, it will quit before that.

Dave

Cthibo366

Reaction score
K dave thanks. I've seen the recommendations on the valve springs, people suggesting LS2 ones.
Little draw back, I've recently found out that my lt1 t56 isn't long enough with the adaptor plate so I'll have to get a longer input shaft.
I should be getting the devil some time after next weekend, anxious to tear down.
Also it's not a fuel injected one, still has the carb set up.

Been a long time "peeker" into these engines and it's seemed to have come along way in 5 years when I originally thought of going this route.

53 Studillac

Reaction score
I have ran a TKO600 beind a 500 and have a T56 Magnum waiting to install. Quick-time makes a flywheel to mount a T56
to a BOP engine. A custom extended pilot bearing might be able to be fabricated to use your existing shaft. I've had cranks
machined for standard Chevrolet bushings a couple times. I've also had bearings that were made to fit the torque converter
pilot. A hydraulic throw out bearing will make actuating the clutch simple. 11" clutch will probably work fine with a mild 500.
I've purchased a McLeod RXT dual disc clutch but have not gotten to try it yet. With the high over-drive ratios consider the
engine rpm at normal cruising speed when choosing a cam grind. I had a radical mechanical roller and was running 75 mph
at 1500 rpm with 3.25 gears and 29.5" tall tires. The engine did not like it. I changed gears to 3.89 but have not gotten to
see how it performs since. Start a build thread and show us how it goes. I've been considering putting my drivetrain in a
Chevy truck also.

Dwayne

Roy Heisenberg

The 472 Crank is stronger due to overlap
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
472 Caddy in a ‘75 Jeep J-20 TH-400 Dana-60 100LL
CCCA953B-728D-497A-A0CE-D1A5F5E973AC.jpeg

Howdy:

Even with the #15 cam the sweet rockers are the VT-61, and those are made from Harland Sharp Parts. Great quality always seems to save money in the long run.

Regards,
Roy