72 Eldorado Automatic Level Control

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Ant M, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Ant M

Ant M New Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1972 Eldorado Convertible Sumatra Green
    Hi All. Ant M from Illinois here. I have a Sumatra Green 72 Eldorado Convertible, that I do a little bit more work on each year. This year , my goal is to try and get the ALC to function. All of the parts seem to be in place, compressor up front , no air lines connected, will start out with that. Air lines front to back are in order. Switch on the axle is there. Don't know if it functions. I noticed that one of the last posts was on this subject was a while ago. Has anybody had any success in getting these systems up and running ? Thank you

2. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

Simple system. The factory service manual is QUITE helpful in diagnosing and repairing these systems. Parts are a bit scarce though and with that quite costly.
    Greg Surfas

3. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

Its pretty common for these old relays to get corroded and no longer get good connections, same with the factory grounds. I would start with a voltmeter and see where you are getting voltage to first. Relays can be upgraded, easy fix.

Also remove and clean every ground you can find. You can check grounds by using an ohm meter to test the wires between two different grounds (one should be the one on the frame for the battery if possible). It should be close to zero if they are fully grounded.