700R4

Car 54

Reaction score
Wondering who is running a. 700R4. How did you handle the opening at the top of the bellhousing at the block? Have been planning on a manual trans but recent back problems keep putting my left leg asleep. Not an ideal situation. If I go with an auto, I may have a Lakewood blow shield, block plate and flywheel for sale.

Thanks in advance,
John

gordon

Reaction score
Please let me know if you decide to go A/T as I could use the bell housing and flywheel and plate to put manual 6spd behind 472/500 cad for my Stude project.

mario

Reaction score
John:
I'm using a 200 4r. Same as in the buick grand national. All billet internals. Temp controlled fan cooler. Convertor lockup. Final drive is .67:1. With the 2.73 rear gears, 28 inch tall tires, I'm at 77 mph at 1770 rpms. It basically fit right where the t400 was. Needed a different driveshaft, though. Oh yeah, gas mileage went up 20%. From 10 to 12 mpg!
Ciao,
Mario

P.s.: had to drill the flex plate. The converter has it's own pattern.

Car 54

Reaction score
John:
I'm using a 200 4r. Same as in the buick grand national. All billet internals. Temp controlled fan cooler. Convertor lockup. Final drive is .67:1. With the 2.73 rear gears, 28 inch tall tires, I'm at 77 mph at 1770 rpms. It basically fit right where the t400 was. Needed a different driveshaft, though. Oh yeah, gas mileage went up 20%. From 10 to 12 mpg!
Ciao,
Mario

P.s.: had to drill the flex plate. The converter has it's own pattern.
Hi Mario,

Thanks for the information. Still gathering info for this project as I am finally getting it off the ground. As I mentioned above had planned on a 4 speed but that may well not happen. Back and leg problems without any fix. Getting old I guess.

thanks again,
John

Darius

Reaction score
Hi Mario,

Thanks for the information. Still gathering info for this project as I am finally getting it off the ground. As I mentioned above had planned on a 4 speed but that may well not happen. Back and leg problems without any fix. Getting old I guess.

thanks again,
John
Hello John,

Welcome to the club of "old, sick or impeded" car persons (mostly guys but potentially one female - if she ever reappears).

Best,

bro. d

PROSTOCKTOM

Reaction score
There is absolutely no way I would ever consider using a 700R4 behind a Cadillac engine. First and foremost you do not need or want a 3.06 first gear ratio that 700R4's have.

Even a half way built 700R4 will not live long behind a Cadillac if you lean on it much. A Turbo 400 is the best all around option cost wise and with Cadillac torque. You can run a 2.75-3.00 rearend gear and

not have to worry about the need for having an overdrive. If you must have an overdrive building put a Gear Vendors on the back of the Turbo 400 or buy a 200R4 built with all the good parts. It has less of a

first gear ration than a 700R4 and more evenly spaced gears. Personally unless your planning to drive the vehicle everday of 40,000 miles a year using the Turbo 400 is hard to beat.

Tom

Car 54

Reaction score
Hello John,

Welcome to the club of "old, sick or impeded" car persons (mostly guys but potentially one female - if she ever reappears).

Best,

bro. d
Hello Darius,

I have been here for a short while although not too active. I do follow a lot of your posts too. My project has been on hold for some time due to some medical problems and other, necessary, work around my property. But I have now gotten started.

I did post it sometime back but a short re-cap is a 1936 Dodge Rumble Seat coupe. Full fender with all original sheetmetal. Power, for now, is a stock ‘74 Eldorado 500” motor which I already have. I just had the frame sand blasted on Saturday. They actually used crushed glass if you can imagine that. Having the stitched factory welds on the frame fully welded tomorrow. Then onto my frame table.

Enough for now,
John

Car 54

Reaction score
There is absolutely no way I would ever consider using a 700R4 behind a Cadillac engine. First and foremost you do not need or want a 3.06 first gear ratio that 700R4's have.

Even a half way built 700R4 will not live long behind a Cadillac if you lean on it much. A Turbo 400 is the best all around option cost wise and with Cadillac torque. You can run a 2.75-3.00 rearend gear and

not have to worry about the need for having an overdrive. If you must have an overdrive building put a Gear Vendors on the back of the Turbo 400 or buy a 200R4 built with all the good parts. It has less of a

first gear ration than a 700R4 and more evenly spaced gears. Personally unless your planning to drive the vehicle everday of 40,000 miles a year using the Turbo 400 is hard to beat.

Tom
Evening Tom,

Thanks for the advice. There is a lot of that sentiment on the internet. I do have a Gear Vendors in the shop. Problem there is a TH700 is very scarce on the ground around here. Been scanning Craigslist but nothing really close by and most are Chevy/GMC anyway. They all seem to be 5-6 hours away. I still keep looking though.

Thanks again,
John

Darius

Reaction score
Tom, My Man,

I have a 4l80E that I will GIVE to you. All you have to do is pay for the plastic tranny box and the ride. It is a 1993 which I personally took out of "one of two" Culligan Water Company vans. Both vans were RETIRED at the same time with nearly identical mileage on their clocks. Seems the company had a policy to sell off older equipment even if is was running. Looks like the transmissions may have been serviced at some point (which is logical) as evidenced by new torque converters in each. Yes, the torque converter is included in the deal as it the rear output yoke.

Just sayin,

bro. "making space - plus helping a Caddy brother," d

(I'm in Midvale, Utah 84047) https://www.bing.com/search?q=trans...17B84AD797D6B593DBE2629C&FORM=QBRE&sp=2&ghc=1

grendel

Reaction score
You can do a super bell on a 4L80E and have a stronger Cad/BOP bolt pattern. I planned to run a well built one behind my Cad500. They're pretty stout.

gordon

Reaction score
Any Idea what that plastic box and freight would be to get it to 95608 zip Northern California. I could sure use that 4L80 for one of three projects. Also looking to score some of those aluminum cyl heads to go on my 500 engine. Not the Boogie man ones . They seem to not be sold used and fetch big $$ new. Sorry for hi jack of post.

Darius

Reaction score
Any Idea what that plastic box and freight would be to get it to 95608 zip Northern California. I could sure use that 4L80 for one of three projects. Also looking to score some of those aluminum cyl heads to go on my 500 engine. Not the Boogie man ones . They seem to not be sold used and fetch big $$ new. Sorry for hi jack of post.
Since I was offering the transmission for free, provided a link to shipping containers, then gave my zip code, I ASSUMED the other person would undertake to check shipping costs.

bro. "scratching my head," d

Last edited:

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Wondering who is running a. 700R4. How did you handle the opening at the top of the bellhousing at the block? Have been planning on a manual trans but recent back problems keep putting my left leg asleep. Not an ideal situation. If I go with an auto, I may have a Lakewood blow shield, block plate and flywheel for sale.

Thanks in advance,
John
I was considering a stick. Is the flywheel Cad? May be interested. PM me. And is the shield Cheebie or BOP?

gordon

Reaction score
Sorry , I did not see the link, I am working on getting costs for shipping.

Car 54

Reaction score
I was considering a stick. Is the flywheel Cad? May be interested. PM me. And is the shield Cheebie or BOP?
Good evening,

Lakewood blow shield w/block-plate. BOPC block bolt pattern with right side starter bump. Must have been for a Buick originally. Pontiac and Olds are left side starter. Placed it on my 500 and is correct fit. Flywheel is Cad bolt pattern. Placed it on a 472 crank and all holes align perfect. Have not decided yet what I am going to do. Still looking at automatics but nothing close by.

John

Car 54

Reaction score
When it rains ir pours.

Since my last post I have come into two transmissions. The first was a TH400 from a ‘67 GTO, and the second was a 4L80e out of a chevy diesel. I think this was a 4x4 as it has a short rear shaft and no tail housing. The guy told me the 4L started to drive forward every time he put it in reverse. Would not reverse so had it pulled and replaced. Anyone ever heard of that. It also has GM Goodwrench stickers on the case so is a replacement itself. Also came with the diesel converter. Probably not much use there and is a heavy thing too. Also got lower aluminum shield.

Now it is decision time.