507 Cadillac - Build

8ad-f85

Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish with that?

CanadianC10

Reaction score
take a bit of hit off the tire. Can't tell if the engine is over geared or not, but based on other similar builds they have less gear and seem to have better results

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
Get better traction.. Dont leave so high on the converter.. don't completely hammer it..
I doubt its overgeared .. whats your rpm thru the traps ??
make it the best you can before hurting your possible et...

of course I cant recall your tire height ?? 31's ?? if anything go to a taller tire

BTW..
taller tire puts more rubber on the ground

CanadianC10

Reaction score
trap around 6100 but that is also with a terrbile 60ft - which I know doesn't really affect mph, but it 60'd in the 2.1 range all day. tire height is 30.5"

CanadianC10

Reaction score
I would like to go to 33" tall tire eventually. but at the moment it would be easier to change gears then 800 dollars worth of radials

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
- gears are 4.57 with a 30.5 tall tire. Hits about 6100rpm going through the trap.
Last time I had the truck to a track it was 4.11 with a 28" tire
I bet your actual gear is close to the same.. 32.5 or 33 would be or better..
6100.. I don't know with your heads ?? I think your cam is good past that.. either way its not to nosing over .. Most would tell you to run out of gear before the line..
As you said ..It usually dosent work better for us.. I think you need to get a good pass in and then decide.. no point in swapping gears till then IMO

CanadianC10

Reaction score
Get better traction.. Dont leave so high on the converter.. don't completely hammer it..
I doubt its overgeared .. whats your rpm thru the traps ??
make it the best you can before hurting your possible et...

of course I cant recall your tire height ?? 31's ?? if anything go to a taller tire

BTW..
taller tire puts more rubber on the ground
I don't think 2800 is high for a 4000 stall converter, and I don't want to make changes to the performance capability of the driveline to bandaid where the suspension falls short - id rather make the suspension work a little better

CanadianC10

Reaction score
Slicks ??
I bet your actual gear is close to the same.. 32.5 or 33 would be or better..
6100.. I don't know with your heads ?? I think your cam is good past that.. either way its not to nosing over .. Most would tell you to run out of gear before the line..
As you said ..It usually dosent work better for us.. I think you need to get a good pass in and then decide.. no point in swapping gears till then IMO
I agree one good pass to decide!

Slicks? Id rather stay on a DOT tire - I know radials can work as there are much faster cars or trucks with similar setups using them - but I probably have to put more money in to the suspension - as in rear shocks

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
I don't think 2800 is high for a 4000 stall converter
Agreed..

and I don't want to make changes to the performance capability of the driveline to bandaid where the suspension falls short - id rather make the suspension work a little better
actually I got my best times leaving from high idle...I would do anything [suspension/tires] around the gear for now

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
I have dot 32.5 x 14 x15 Mickey et's if you can fit em

I think that's the sizes been 3 years since I bought them

CanadianC10

Reaction score
I only have an 8" wheel - thank you for the offer though!

Im gonna order some calvert 9 way adjustable shocks for the rear - I feel like there is not enough travel in the shock on extension - they say for caltracs to have 1.5" for compression and the remainder for extension - most race shocks have 5-6" travel if I'm correct

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
Your Welcome... I didn't think they would work but what the hey.. might as well put it out there..
Suspension can make HUGE differences.. Look at what a 79 Caddy can do with the right suspension and only 10" tire..

Wish I knew more about them parts you mention...

8ad-f85

Reaction score
I'd definitely play with launch rpm from the softer side of things before making any component changes.
That brake is great with lesser torque output. You are trying to hit it with a ten ton hammer here.
I wonder how a prepped track would hold up?

CanadianC10

Reaction score
I still think on a prepped track it's unloading the tire too much. Ordering so adjustable shocks from Calvert - set em stiff on extension and try and loosen up the front end a bit to get more weight transfer

CanadianC10

Reaction score
Ordered 9 way adjust rear shocks - 14"compressed 22" extension going to set up ride height at 16" should give me lots of room for extension

dave brode

Reaction score
Damn, was anyone hooking up there?

If it's smacking the tires, a stiffer setting on shocks [rebound, or extension] might help. Imo, 4.10s might make it easier to hook. My Moroso slide chart says 110 is 11.90.
Dave

CanadianC10

Reaction score
There was no personal best 60fts but some 1.80's from a mopar on radials.

I talked to the guys at Calvert and they say a hook then spin situation is always a shock issue.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
I like your truck. sure looks like fun. hoping to do take it to a track some day. I don't have a clue on what to do. lol.

CanadianC10

Reaction score
Caltrac Shocks are in .. gonna mount them between the bolts on the rear side of the axle straight up and down - should give max control to the shock.

Will post pics when done - could be a couple day project.