500 Caddy Engine looking to sell and needing help

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
I have a 500 bored 40 over hi performance engine my father n law built and don't know everything that was done to it and wanting some advice on the best way you would think to sell it is. The engine was the first attempt build to have 1000hp (All throttle no bottle) and was dyno'd at 815hp. He then pulled this one out and built a stronger one (similar) but with different set up and adding boost and obtained the 1000+HP but then this one just sat on the engine stand. When he passed I got this one and some parts and pieces and jut really don't plan on using them and figured I would look into selling it. It is a complete engine with Boogie Man intake and 2 separate setups (1 being a single 4 barrel and he other being a 2-4barrel set up) being able to swa out depending on how you want it to go. The compression is set and it will run off pump gas, but they both of course love the blue racing fuel better.

This engine has only around 500 miles since it was pulled out, and I would actually guess it is less than that. All of the parts were purchased through Potters in Soddy Daisy, TN near Chattanooga and or ordered from Performance Cadillac out in California. I have pictures but not specific build specs. I also have several parts including gaskets and even a Strange Rear end (For Drag Racing) 9" Ford set up, as well as the converter for a 400 turbo tranny to be hooked to it.

This engine would be great in a Pro-street or drag car, but isn't for the faint of heart. I know it would cost a fortune to build one from start to finish and I know this one is built right. I just don't plan on doing anyhting with it and hate to see it just sit here. I know I won't get it's full value but any suggestions on what would be fair for me and the buyer would be appreciated. Any suggestions on who to contact or how to get the best money for it would help. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Darius

Reaction score
A critical element sellers often leave out is: WHERE are you Located? Shipping can be the deal breaker.

bro. "trying to help" d

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I’m actually located just 30 mins north of Knoxville, Tn.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
wow,
815 HP with a 3/8 inch fuel line and stock fuel pump. I am sorry but I see years of collected dirt and grime, not 500 miles of a "high performance" motor with a stock ignition.
Greg Surfas

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
wow,
815 HP with a 3/8 inch fuel line and stock fuel pump. I am sorry but I see years of collected dirt and grime, not 500 miles of a "high performance" motor with a stock ignition.
Greg Surfas
It was setting in the back corner of a garage for several years before I got it. He said it would be a back up if the new one ever had problems. I’m no mechanic and by no means imply anything with certainty other than in do know this engine dumped at 800+ HP.

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
I have turned it with a wrench every few months to keep it lubed. It’s not pretty by any means though. I’ve thought about trying to get a roller to put it in but it would cost too much to be beneficial to me with just thinking about selling. I would have to pay someone to set it up and such because I’m no mechanic.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
I recommend that you at least pull the heads off so the internal parts can be inventoried to see what it is. To get 800 hp, it would need MAJOR head modifications and at least $3k worth of porting. Hi-po rods, pistons, and a serious cam. These can be verified with some measurements and photos if the motor was partially disassembled. The value of this motor will be mostly on the heads, connecting rods, rocker shafts and rockers, and pistons. The pistons can be determined from photos and measurements, as well as the rods, and CR., etc.

It does look like it has a high end intake and carb set up. I see it has head studs, so that is good.

Also 800 hp is not going to happen on that stock HEI and coil, those plug wires, and a stock balancer. So this may have been a back up motor that some of the 800 hp motor parts found a home on. Or more likely, this one was cannibalized and the good expensive parts of this one found its way onto the other "1,000 hp " motor. Then maybe some stock parts were thrown on it to get it running.

As far as dirty, that looks at least as dirty as everything in my shop, some of which is new.

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Crickets..................

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
I recommend that you at least pull the heads off so the internal parts can be inventoried to see what it is. To get 800 hp, it would need MAJOR head modifications and at least $3k worth of porting. Hi-po rods, pistons, and a serious cam. These can be verified with some measurements and photos if the motor was partially disassembled. The value of this motor will be mostly on the heads, connecting rods, rocker shafts and rockers, and pistons. The pistons can be determined from photos and measurements, as well as the rods, and CR., etc.

It does look like it has a high end intake and carb set up. I see it has head studs, so that is good.

Also 800 hp is not going to happen on that stock HEI and coil, those plug wires, and a stock balancer. So this may have been a back up motor that some of the 800 hp motor parts found a home on. Or more likely, this one was cannibalized and the good expensive parts of this one found its way onto the other "1,000 hp " motor. Then maybe some stock parts were thrown on it to get it running.

As far as dirty, that looks at least as dirty as everything in my shop, some of which is new.
Crickets..................

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It had significant work done on the heads as your speaking. I’m sure the ignition, wires, etc might have been used on the 2nd build. I’m trying to find some of the receipts that were in a folder but we have moved and not having any luck. I’ll pull the heads and get some measurements and such like your saying though. When this one was built he thought it would do it but it didn’t so he went back and built a new one that did. He said this one would be a back up if it messed up, but the engine never has had any problems and the car has been sold so I don’t have anything to use this one in. I’ve thought about building something but really don’t have the skills needed to do so. I’m not a mechanic by no means... lol Thanks for the advice!!!

Darius

Reaction score
Hell, I might make the seller an offer if he ever gets back to us with location and additional details.

d

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
Hell, I might make the seller an offer if he ever gets back to us with location and additional details.

d
I am located just North of Knoxville, TN. My zip is 37807. I’m working on trying to get more info on the engine but it will take a little while.

5one9

Reaction score
...............and frogs

Caddylackn

Reaction score
As for suggestions on price of motor :

This is a hard one, because it could be a $8k motor or a $1.5k motor. It depends on what is inside. The performance goodies I can see (carbs, Boogey Man intake, valve covers) included with a good stock running motor; I would price it at $2,500 . This assumes that was not a 800 hp motor. Most internet buyers are going to be skeptical. If you want to ask for an 800 hp price, be expected to prove it. If the motor didn't run or was shot, those aftermarket goodies with a rebuildable motor maybe would get $1,500. I would think the motor is usable or he wouldn't have saved it, only the aftermarket parts in a box.

If all the high performance parts are still there in the motor that made it over 800 hp and are still in good shape, no failures, it could be worth up to $5k or $6k if the motor was taken apart and everything spec'd out in good or great condition. Somebody could then reassemble it and freshen the bearings and gaskets and have a $8k+ Potter built motor. Potter had a good reputation for building motors and matching high performance parts.

If this was a running motor that could be dyno'd today with video and it made over 800 hp with all parts included; it could be worth $6k to $7k. Buying a used high performance motor is just risky business. You could buy a motor off the dyno take it home and it could blow up the first time you ran it. Nobody is going to give you your money back. A box of receipts from Potter's and CMD showing quality parts would be a huge bonus in getting the price up. A dyno sheet and photos would really help. What was your father in law's name, maybe he posted on here or the old forums?

If you could take off the valve covers and take some pictures, and take off the oil pan and take some pictures, we could help you more. I don't see anybody paying more than $2,500 unless they took it apart first to verify what high performance components are inside. Somebody would take a considerable risk spending over $3000 on this motor without breakdown and inspection of the internal parts. Stock ignition setup, balancer, and stock fuel pump is suspicious and doesn't belong on a 800 hp high performance motor.

The rear end and the converter is worth $ too, but IDK what it would fetch.

I see barely run "500 hp" rebuilt caddy motors for sale a few per year on Craigslist. They start asking around $5k but don't usually sell until they get closer to $2k. I doubt any of them are even close to 500 hp.

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
As for suggestions on price of motor :

This is a hard one, because it could be a $8k motor or a $1.5k motor. It depends on what is inside. The performance goodies I can see (carbs, Boogey Man intake, valve covers) included with a good stock running motor; I would price it at $2,500 . This assumes that was not a 800 hp motor. Most internet buyers are going to be skeptical. If you want to ask for an 800 hp price, be expected to prove it. If the motor didn't run or was shot, those aftermarket goodies with a rebuildable motor maybe would get $1,500. I would think the motor is usable or he wouldn't have saved it, only the aftermarket parts in a box.

If all the high performance parts are still there in the motor that made it over 800 hp and are still in good shape, no failures, it could be worth up to $5k or $6k if the motor was taken apart and everything spec'd out in good or great condition. Somebody could then reassemble it and freshen the bearings and gaskets and have a $8k+ Potter built motor. Potter had a good reputation for building motors and matching high performance parts.

If this was a running motor that could be dyno'd today with video and it made over 800 hp with all parts included; it could be worth $6k to $7k. Buying a used high performance motor is just risky business. You could buy a motor off the dyno take it home and it could blow up the first time you ran it. Nobody is going to give you your money back. A box of receipts from Potter's and CMD showing quality parts would be a huge bonus in getting the price up. A dyno sheet and photos would really help. What was your father in law's name, maybe he posted on here or the old forums?

If you could take off the valve covers and take some pictures, and take off the oil pan and take some pictures, we could help you more. I don't see anybody paying more than $2,500 unless they took it apart first to verify what high performance components are inside. Somebody would take a considerable risk spending over $3000 on this motor without breakdown and inspection of the internal parts. Stock ignition setup, balancer, and stock fuel pump is suspicious and doesn't belong on a 800 hp high performance motor.

The rear end and the converter is worth $ too, but IDK what it would fetch.

I see barely run "500 hp" rebuilt caddy motors for sale a few per year on Craigslist. They start asking around $5k but don't usually sell until they get closer to $2k. I doubt any of them are even close to 500 hp.

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
My father in laws name was Dave Noe. He probably did post but I don’t know where or what his handle would have been. He believed the Cadillac 500’s were bullet proof and had built several.

Deputy Dog

Reaction score
That was his car. We actually gave it to one of the grandkids. The motor I’m looking to sell was the first one he built for it.

5one9

Reaction score
800-1000hp with a procharger makes more sense. The engine that you’re selling is probably more likely 500hp max NA.