5 pin HEI module

STDog

Reaction score
I'm sure it does.
I'm thinking if using something to etch the case, or slowly grind the case away.

They do the etching thing in the semiconductor industry all the time to remove the plastic packaging from the silicon chip inside for failure analysis.

jbrowngunmaker

Reaction score
I have a five pin module that when looking at the three pin side from left to right is marked H, L, and D.  Which module might this be and is it usable to retard the spark?  I gotta have a bit of cranking retard.
jackie

STDog

Reaction score
From what I've seen, the one with a D terminal is the D1918 which is the one we are discussing.
It should be usable, but not sure how at this point (other than also using controller).

The D1941 module would have an R terminal based on the info earlier in this thread.

Hey TJ,
Can you send (email) me a better scan of the wiring diagram (Figure 6D6)?
(Try a greyscale scan instead of color, at 600 or 1200 dpi)

Maddog

Reaction score
Not being difficult, but wouldn't it be easier to put a toggle switch in the circuit for the ignition with a starter button?

Maddog

gary kosier

Reaction score
With the D1941, you can use a relay, triggered by the starter solenoid, to connect the
fifth terminal to ground.  This will provide the 10 degree retard.  If I ever hear any
detonation, I will parallel it with a vacuum switch.

Gary Kosier

STDog

Reaction score
Maddog said:
Not being difficult, but wouldn't it be easier to put a toggle switch in the circuit for the ignition with a starter button?

For start retard with the D1941 module? Relay like gary said.

For the D1918 module I don't think it is that simple, but we don't have enough info on that module.
But I think the control box for it could be tricked to force the retard for starting (like the manual pages TJ posted describe for Caif. cars)

If you just want to disable the ignition until the motor is spinning then sure, a toggle switch with the starter button to power the module works, as long as the starter can turn the engine fast enough. Wouldn't help if you get detonation though.

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
It will be cool if we can figure a way to use this, especially if it can do more than the other model.  Also much better chance of finding them in stores and junkyards since it was a 78-86 thing, lost of chevy trucks in the yards.  Even better if everyone thinks those modules stink, more for us!

One idea I want to try it on is a 2 stroke golf cart.  Problem is timing has to be TDC because the motor reverses for reverse so you cant advance it for forward because it screws up reverse.  The knock sensor is also an interesting idea but will take some experimenting to figure out if its practical to retrofit to old motors.

Bugsy 8350

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1980 oldsmobile Delta 88 royal brougham
Seems like we have covered this but search does not seem to like 5 pin.

Anyone used one?  I read all sorts of things like it retards 5* and 10* anyone know for sure?  Which pin is the retard? And is it to ground? I assume its the outside one and the inner two are still the white and green like the 4 pins?  Any issues with how long it stays grounded/ retarded?
It is suppose to be controlled by an electrical low pressure vaccum switch .some people use an off on toggle switch .suppose to regard 5 or ten degrees when no vacuum is present to help with hot engine starts .Advances 5 or 10 degrees as long as vacuum is present or engine is running .My 1980 oldsmobile delta 88's gm hei distributor has the set up.I haven't used that feature in a while I just run off the four pins.But I keep the setup.There is a special wire that come from the 5-pin and plugs into a low pressure electrical vaccum switch.I have a delco 1980 emission control device booklet that shows the setup.1980 Electronic module control device or (EMR).