4l80e

Firebird 67

Reaction score
I have bought the 4l80e. He also had a tci controller that have never been used so i bought that one too. It has  a hei interface and connection to a tps. I might want to upgrade the converter to a 2000 rpm one. That brand is best protorque or tci.

Keith in CO

Reaction score
Re: 4l80e and Cad powered Studebakers

Darius said:
Are you working on a 4L80E project and how far along are you?

Darius

Hey Darius,
The TH400 in my 500cid 4x4 is dying a slow death, and I am trying to figure out whether to put $$ into a rebuild or into a 4L80e. I would love to have the OD (so I can put lower axle gears in), but I do not want to spend $1k on aftermarket electonic controllers plus the cost of buying the 4L80e, so I am still wanting to find out if anyone has actually made a JY diesel controller work behind the Caddy gasser.

BTW: Since my 429Cad/TH400 switchpitch Stude pick up street rod has been sitting in my garage for over a year untouched, I am planning to put it up on epay, and move on to other projects.

mario

Reaction score
hey Keith in CO:

BTW: Since my 429Cad/TH400 switchpitch Stude pick up street rod has been sitting in my garage for over a year untouched, I am planning to put it up on epay, and move on to other projects.

any picts and history, before evil pay?

thanks.
ciao,
mario

Darius

Reaction score
Re: 4l80e and Cad powered Studebakers

Keith in CO said:
Hey Darius,
The TH400 in my 500cid 4x4 is dying a slow death, and I am trying to figure out whether to put $$ into a rebuild or into a 4L80e. I would love to have the OD (so I can put lower axle gears in), but I do not want to spend $1k on aftermarket electonic controllers plus the cost of buying the 4L80e, so I am still wanting to find out if anyone has actually made a JY diesel controller work behind the Caddy gasser.

Why don't you just go ahead and swizzle water in front of a thristy man? 

Tell me more about that Stude pickup. You know, we might be able to make a deal. Got pictures?

Darius

Keith in CO

Reaction score
Re: Studebaker w/Cad

Boy, am I hijacking here or what?

This is a 1/2 ton 2R I bought in '91 and rebuilt from the frame up in 92 and 93. Fair weather daily driver with about 20k since then. Right now I am installing a rear from a 79 Deville (2:28? gears) as the posi it had became locked (great traction, bad on tires), so I'll get some pictures when I get it down off the jacks.

GM Victory red with grey and black interior. 429, TH400 switchpitch, and front frame clip (IFS, PS, PB) from a 66 Deville. Stock rebuild on the engine, with a Holley 650, dual Hooker exhaust. Body is stock except for gas door in bed side as I relocated the gas tank to the frame rails using a Rock Valley custom stainless steel tank. Fiberglass front fenders (no more rust - ever!!) Narrowed rear bumper. Receiver hitch hidden under hinged license plate. Tonnoeu (sp?) cover. Ron Francis wiring. Tilt collomn. Sony CD/stereo. Pro installed head liner. I'lll think of more later.

Tony kay

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1970 caddilac
turbo 400 is where he got better millage -maximum torque specialties forumn is where i seen it-cruz rpms is where your going to get millage,i tend to believe it,thou i like the idea of overdrive but not with a cad-hell your allready going seventy
Are you saying that if I put a 4l80 behind my 472 the overdrive wont kick in till around 70? If so then thats perfect because 75 is the average cruising speed on the highway these days

grendel

Reaction score
I use any number of the aftermarket stand alone GM trans controllers. They're really easy to set up.

US Shift is preferred.

MIHELA

Reaction score
Are you saying that if I put a 4l80 behind my 472 the overdrive wont kick in till around 70? If so then thats perfect because 75 is the average cruising speed on the highway these days
No, that might be the case at full WOT, but depending on gearing it would be preferred at moderate cruising acceleration and around town to shift to 4th around 2200 RPM. In my truck thats about 40.