4l80e

Firebird 67

Reaction score
Who has installed one behind a caddy i have considered one in my firebird to get a 2.25 total final drive after driving my friends pickup with a 4l60e that was almost silent in 4th. I am tired of my old slipping th400 and 11 inch converter. There do i find one and do they all have the chevy small/big block bellhousing pattern or has some a different diesel only pattern. Is the bolt on yoke version only for 4 wd or? That brand torque converter do i need to fit it on my caddy flexplate. There do i find the stand alone diesel controller darius mentions. My friend has the tools for burning a new chip is there a softwarecode who has to be cracked.

Reaction score
The W and T are four keys apart, how did he do that?
The 4L80E needs a computor to run and it weighs quite a bit more than a 400. Do not know about the bolt pattern or yoke.
I thought about a 4L80E but went with a GV overdrive instead.

cadillac512

Reaction score
  Not everybody types with one or two fingers like we do,Jeff........ lol :-X

Terry

LloydK

Reaction score
i seen somewhere i guy switched back to a 400 for  after playing with the rearend gears after having the overdrive for better millage in a 2900 pound car(might have been 3200-light),i think there was a 8 miles per gallon difference from the two.dont know if it would be worth it being cad powered.

Darius

Reaction score
Firebird 67 said:
Who has installed one behind a caddy ... There do i find one and do they all have the chevy small/big block bellhousing pattern or has some a different diesel only pattern. ... That brand torque converter do i need to fit it on my caddy flexplate. There do i find the stand alone diesel controller darius mentions.

Firebird 67,

I have had my engine and 4L80E bolted together but the car is not running yet.

These transmissions came only in Chevy bolt pattern. I used the Trans-Dapt adapter to mate mine. The Caddy flex-plate only has three mounting points but they line up just fine with the pads on the stock 4L80E torque converter which has six mounting pads.

The diesel TCM (transmission control module) is located behind the glove box on the trucks with this transmission. Here are a few pictures so you know what to look for. Take wire cutters and a quarter inch drive and socket with you.

I have a spare 4L80E. Maybe we can cut a deal. Where are you? I got both of mine at the local pick-n-pull.

Darius

Attachments

• DSCN0748.JPG
    DSCN0748.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 7,918
  • DSCN0745.JPG
    DSCN0745.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 7,912
  • DSCN0746.JPG
    DSCN0746.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 7,908

LloydK

Reaction score
turbo 400 is where he got better millage -maximum torque specialties forumn is where i seen it-cruz rpms  is where your going to get millage,i tend to believe it,thou i like the idea of overdrive but not with a cad-hell your allready going seventy

Firebird 67

Reaction score
I use 4 fingers but i am to lazy to find a danish to english book. There is a remanufactured goodwrench 4l80e for sale in sweden for 1000$ with converter. I know its heavier but i would rather have a heavier transmission than 50 pounds of floor isolation to keep the noise from my dual 3" and headers down. Its very noisy over 2000 rpms even with 4 mufflers and the high stall converter slips below 2500 rpm. The 400 being better than the 4l80e must be because of the stock 2.26 caddy rearend 2.26x075 4th gear = 1.7:1 making a 4th gear and lockup unusable below 90 mph. i have a 3.00 9 inch rearend and 27" tires. 2000 rpm with lockup would be 71 mph perfect for highway. I cant remember the shape of the caddy flexplate is it possible to drill the 3 exstra holes.

Sean

Reaction score
You can drill the extra holes, but they aren't needed. Some older GM trucks had that 6 bolt convertor with the TH400's. I used one in my hearse with 3 bolts in it for several years.

lextech

Reaction score
How do you get the tach signal from a spark ignition into the diesel computer? I am installing a 4l80e behind  557 Cad in my 1954 Chevy p/u. I have a diesel computer and harness, but I don't have the tach signal part figured out.

lextech

Reaction score
According to my status title I am a newbie.  The only thing I am a newbie at is working a computer and posting pictures. I have just purchased a digital camera, so I guess I have to figure this out .

Darius

Reaction score
lextech said:
How do you get the tach signal from a spark ignition into the diesel computer? I am installing a 4l80e behind  557 Cad in my 1954 Chevy p/u. I have a diesel computer and harness, but I don't have the tach signal part figured out. 

LEXTECH, this should make your day! It has EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about the 4L80E. It is a pdf file with 161 pages. The speed sensor is on page 124.

Click here:  http://216.84.130.38/Hummer%20Manuals/9 ... e/5s05.pdf

Click here:  The Diesel Place - Engine Speed Sensor!!!  http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7074

"Some 1991-1993 trucks equipped with the L65 6.5 Turbo Diesel or the LL4 6.2 Diesel and 4L80-E/4L80-EHD exhibit a constant or intermittent check engine light with the engine running and no codes stored."

"CAUSE:
The 4L80-E/4L80-EHD use an engine speed sensor and if failure occurs a code will not be stored. Code 12 will be present with the engine running and the ALDL grounded. The electronic transmission control section of the 1991, 1992 and 1993 service manuals does not acknowledge the use of an engine speed sensor or code 12 for the L65 (6.5 turbo) or the LL4 (6.2) electronic transmission applications."

"I found part number and it is #7849305
Item is called "Oil Pump ASM". Took the guy a few trys at the local GM dealer to find it cause in the repair "GM" book it is called "Engine Speed Sensor".
So here is another part number to add to the list.
This is NOT used on Manual Transmisions!!!
It is only for Auto trans to give TCM an RPM signal to control shifts, Tourqe convertor lockup and fluid pressure in trans."

"I looked this up in the chilton's book and it says that the vss (vehicle speed sensor) sends a pulsing volt signal to the ECM which the ECM converts to vehicle speed. this sensor mainly controls the TCC( torque converter clutch) and cruise control. book says it's mounted on the transmission at the end of a speedometer cable."

"The ESS is a sensor that was used in 1992/1993 year trucks/vans on 6.5LTD with auto 4L80E trans. It sends a 4 pulse per 1 cam revolution to the TCM as a RPM reference signal used to control line pressure, shift point and firmness, and TCC lockup. This sensor is mounted on top of the oil pump drive mech on the rear center of engine."

"This info is right from GM corp. and the tech service bulletin for this issue is listed at the top of this post for reference..."

"For most 4L80E transmissions there is an 11 way circular gray connector that is plugged directly into the transmission. There is also a 2 way connector going to your vehicle speed sensor and another 2 way connector going to your turbine speed sensor. Our harness for the 4L80E transmission comes with these connectors already built into the harness and ready to plug directly into your transmission." 

Attachments

• 4L80E Speed Sensor.jpg
    4L80E Speed Sensor.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 7,918

lextech

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I will probably try to get a diesel engine speed sensor and work it onto the top of a Caddy distributor. I don't need a dist except, for running the oil pump.  I am presently building a Megasquirt II V3.0 engine management computer with a Ford EDIS8 ignition system, to run my fuel injected, twin throttle bodied Potter tunnel ram. This entire project is just a hobby, so progress is slow, and posting will be few and far between. I have been on this website for about 8 months now and I really dig it. I have been building the truck for about 6 years now, between a full time job,a small one man business, a wife, 2 boys, 2dogs, and church. Needless to say progress is slow!

Vern

Reaction score
A 557.  :eyepopping:  Would that be 4.470 bore x 4.440 stroke?  I bet you have fully ported big valve early heads.  :D    That truck should allow you to do your business in a hurry.  8)

lextech

Reaction score
Actually it is a 4.400 bore and a 4.580 stroke with Manley 7.100 H-beam rods, Potter/Ross 10.0 to 1 pistons, welded and cnc ported Potter cast iron heads, and a custom grind Comp Cam.

Darius

Reaction score
Keith in CO said:
Just wondering if anyone has their Caddy 472/500 and 4l80e up and running yet using a JY diesel controller?

Hello Keith,

My 4L80E/Caddy combo isn't up and running yet. Still trying to get the Studebaker off its original frame and onto the S-10 frame. That little job has taken forever - and now we have WINTER!!

Are you working on a 4L80E project and how far along are you?

Darius