390 motor has water in it

55caddyguy

Reaction score
I had my 390 motor rebuilt 3 years ago and finally this fall, painted it and made the initial set up of the motor. All done out of the car. I ran water through it as the water pump was leaking and did not want rad fluid all over the drive way and garage. I placed it in the unconditioned garage over the winter and put anti freeze in it by just poring it into the pump with t-stat out of it. I needed to replace the rear seal as it was leaking after the break-in of new cam, and setup. Just last week I got some time and decent weather to work on it, only to find that when I went to drain the oil, 3 litres of water came out first. (about 3 quarts). A week after draining the oil/water out of motor I added more rad fluid to it. Did not find any fluid in the drain pan after letting it sit for a week. Placed engine on engine stand removed oil pan to take a look, can't see any crack or split in the block. When I flipped the motor on the stand more antifreeze came out of the water pump openings. Now the water out from the oil pan was clear so it did not mix with the oil. The oil was black and no sign of water mixing. I am concerned as to where this water came from and how to test to see if all is fine. I can't see that much water from condensation, although this winter was much milder than in the past. Any suggestions would be appreciated :idea: .

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
Pressure test it.. even if you just use air ( under 18 psi )
Iam not familiar with water passages on a 390
Is it possible that it leaks under pressure from timing cover area
into crankcase ??

55caddyguy

Reaction score
That is possible and something I considered. I brought the motor to the rebuilder to check through as I don't have the time. I will check with him this week. :idea: