390 manifolds cracked

Nigel

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1961 Cadillac Coupe Deville
Hi new to the group I have to remove the manifolds which are cracked ,a job I have put off for about 2 years any tips as I’m sure these are going to snap it does look like someone has had a go on a couple of the bolts. I have rebuilt all the front and rear suspension , but now it’s the manifolds time any tips would be great I was told to take the engine out as space is a bit tight thanks Nigel from the UK

El Diablo

Reaction score
1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
After you remove the manifolds, you will need to give them a thorough cleaning. I prefer to use a glass bead cabinet or sand blaster but a good wire wheeling will get the job done. Then use a die grinder with appropriate shape to grind a V in the crack.

As for welding, some prefer to use a TIG welder but not everyone has access to one. I like to use a stick welder to do manifold repairs. Use an oxy acetylene torch with a rose bud tip and medium heat to heat the entire manifold. Don't concentrate the heat at any one spot as it is possible to cause further cracking.

As far as what rod to use, there is a wide variety of cast iron repair rods on the market but only a few that I can trust. The best I have ever used is called "Certanium 707". However I cannot find it anywhere. The next best that I use is "MG-600". You may have to special order it as most welding supply stores don't stock it.

nosgood

Reaction score
Use some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench on the bolts before you try anything. I'm not sure what you have available in the UK, but any respectable lubricant will help. I took me two nights to remove the manifolds off of my 472. I soaked them in PB Blaster a couple times and they finally loosened up. Good luck!

Schurkey

Reaction score
I've never had good luck welding old exhaust manifolds. If the welds hold at all, they fail within a year or two.

Turns out that the iron castings retain carbon from the exhaust. The iron alloy of "old" manifolds is not the same as when they were new--the carbon content increases, and of course they get a bazillion heat/cold cycles on them. The iron just becomes brittle.

If it were me, I'd braze the cracks, or source headers or other manifolds.

8ad-f85

Reaction score
I worked for one of the largest iron casting welders and would suggest the same.
It's kind of a waste of time or money for something easily replaced.
That and headers have the potential to help so much if mathed out correctly.

Preet

Reaction score
1963 Cadillac Deville
Hi I have a 63 Cadillac with 390 engine can anyone please tell me where to buy new exhaust headers. I tried online lot of places but was unlucky.

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
May want to try CadCo.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
I would try EBAY. Exhaust manifolds without cracks are becoming hen's teeth