2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing First Look: A 668-HP Monster

Fleetwood Fanatic

Cadillac Fanatic
Reaction score

Cadillac offers up one last 668-hp homage to the internal combustion gods.​

Cadillac's new performance pinnacle is arriving soon, and it's called the CT5-V Blackwing. No, it does not have the discontinued Blackwing engine, which briefly entered production as an option for the now-defunct CT6 full-size luxury sedan. Instead, the CT5-V Blackwing comes packing a 668-hp and 659 pound-feet of torque evolution of the old CTS-V's supercharged 6.2-liter V-8, the most powerful engine in Cadillac's 118-year history. Fair trade, if you ask me. Why not use the twin-turbo 4.2-liter "Blackwing" V-8 from the CT6? Cadillac claims that it didn't make enough power. I bet it is partially that, and possibly a cost-saving measure. Why call it Blackwing? Caddy says that Blackwing now represents the ultimate performance expression of the brand. Personally, I would have just called it the CT5-V Max. Either way, this upgraded LT4 is most likely the last new gasoline-powered engine Cadillac will ever launch.

The monstrous motor that out muscles practically all competitors (we see you over there, Dodge Charger Hellcat Redeye) isn't even the big news. The big news is that a Tremec-sourced six-speed manual transmission is standard. Ahem, standard. I'll give you a moment. You done with the cigarette? If you must spend the extra cash, a high-torque capable version of the rather excellent 10-speed automatic transmission built by General Motors is an option, but please, get the manual. Should you choose to shift your own gears, the manual features short throws and a no-lift shift function, as well as automatic rev-matching. Like the previous CTS-V, the CT5-V Blackwing remains rear-wheel drive only. As Caddy's chief engineer global luxury and performance cars, Brandon Vivian, said when asked about why there's no all-wheel-drive option: "If it doesn't make the car faster on a racetrack, we don't put it on the car."

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing: Tell Me About Performance
Yes, 668 hp and 659 lb-ft of torque are huge leaps up from the relatively staid 360 hp and 405 lb-ft of torque produced by the CT5-V's twin-turbo V-6. The Blackwing's big, forced-inducted V-8's extra power—28 additional horses and 29 more lb-ft of torque compared to the LT4 in the third generation CTS-V, the car the CT5-V Blackwing mostly replaces—comes primarily from a combination of a new 1.7-liter Eaton supercharger, 46 percent more airflow into the intake plenums, new throttle bodies, and a new exhaust system. There's also a revised oil pan and oiling strategy that Cadillac developed after a 24-hour continuous track test in the automatic CT5-V Blackwing, and a half as long 12-hour continuous test of the manual version. Cadillac is claiming 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds and a top speed in excess of 200 mph. Seems reasonable, as the CTS-V hit 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and could also hit the double-ton. The 0-60 number is for the automatic transmission car. The manual will be slower in terms of acceleration, but Cadillac didn't say by how much. Read more...