1957 series 62 rear diff

Jon klein

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1957 cadillac series 62 coupe
Hey guys! Brand new to the forum. So hello to all. I am restoring my 1957 series 62 coupe and even though the rear diff is in perfect operating condition I really would like to install a posi. Any help on what units would fit from either other vehicles or After market would be really great... I am having a hard time finding info on it. The car definitely has the factory diff/axle/gearset in it. Only 56k miles on the clock. Car still has spiral shocks in perfect working order on it... very very original car. Unfortunately the floors, paint, and interior are the problem as it has lived outside in NJ its whole life. Thanks in advance for any info!

Darius

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Jon,

Your question is well beyond my knowledge but I wanted to let you know we are alive here.

best,

bro. d

kzhurley

Reaction score
I have a 56 coupe and I ran into the same issue with availability of posi unit. From my research I found out that some limousines and ambulances/hearse came equipped with a lower gear and posi unit.

I was unable to locate 1 so I swapped in a corporate 14bolt 9.5 inch rear with 3.42 gears with a modified Gov-lock to remove governor parts and shim it so it works like a std clutch type unit

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
If your car has rear leaf springs. Should not be a problem at all. 57 Olds/Pont. rear should be a bolt in. But the price could be HUGE. Camaro 12bolt should almost be a bolt in to. If you still want the look of the old rear, could go with a Ford 9".