1957 F100 build thread?

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Today I headed north and bought a couple of 500s from KZHurley. It was good to meet a board member and I got to see his 2x4 barrel FI Caddy engine fire right up. Very cool car.

I have been planning on putting a turbo on my Malibu, but I like driving the car so much, the engine bay is packed clear full already, and I am wanting to get the A/C on it. I might still do it but I want to start going back to the track for the street car shootouts and i'll get booted without having a cage. I am really not interested in putting a cage in this car.

So right now I am planning on pulling the straight 6 out of my Ford and putting a full cage in it. I'll have to decide whether to keep the all new straight front axle or install a Mustang II front in it. I'm leaning toward the Mustang II. At that point I'll do the turbo Cadillac engine in it. There are a lot of decisions to make regarding the engine but in the mean time I can get the chassis done.

I have a good spare TH400, converter, and 9" billet cap, 3.50 geared, Strange S-Trac rear already together. I have Currie axles for the Ford. It has the wheel tubs stretched to fit 15" wide tires if needed

Here are some pics of the Ford. I'll will keep updating as the plan comes together.

2017.3.12f.JPG
2017.3.12a.JPG

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
This could be KOOL. And with a big Cad, Freak everybody out.

Darius

Reaction score
I like the looks of that truck! The wheel size and design works, the color works. Now, about that door and the back of the cab. What happened there?

Overall, :thumbup::thumbup:

bro. d

5one9

Reaction score
The doors came from Minnesota and I never got around to painting them. When I bought the truck it had a 4” chopped top. I bought a parts truck truck from South Carolina for the roof and some other parts. All new glass and a Painless wiring harness. I think a twin turbo Caddy engine would set it off.

5one9

Reaction score
I have hundreds of pictures of the truck from the day I hauled it home, through the nothing assembled and everything cut apart phase, through the first drive. The 6 cylinder takes about full throttle to push the wind at 60mph.
Roof.JPGIMG_0341.JPG

5one9

Reaction score

5one9

Reaction score
I have decided on a few things that are set in stone. Other things I'll ask questions on.

Set in stone, Steve.
1) I'll be 51 in a few months. I want to have this driveable if not completely done in the spring, period. I don't have time to waste.

Set in stone body and chassis.
1) It will be turbocharged. Maybe one, maybe two. But as cheap as possible. I don't expect to go past 8 or 10psi, but since I'm cheaping out on the engine and have spare parts, then who knows.
2) I will do this as cheap as possible so that I can get it done this winter and not hate myself later. But remember, cheap is relative.
3) I'll put a Mustang II front under it. Heidt's makes one that is all USA made for $2000 but it is 5x4.5" or 5x4.75" bolt pattern. CPP makes a copy of the Heidt's for $1500 and it comes with 5x5.5" bolt pattern. I already have $500 worth 5x5.5" wheels, so that plus the $500 price savings will push me to CPP. Sorry Heidt's but I'm the weird guy that kept the Ford truck pattern that doesn't fit your sales model.
4) I'll put in a AutoWeldChassis 10-12point cage. My buddy lives 30 minutes from them and he comes here weekly and will deliver. Price is just under $500 so my Mustang II savings got me a free roll cage kit.
5) full, large exhaust out the rear. None of this YouTube exhaust out the front fender BS

Slightly variable.
1) I have three separate 500s at this point. I have pulled two apart, both from Hurley. Both blocks look good enough to ball hone and re-ring. Both rotating assemblies turn free.
2) The spare 552 heads look very good. The valves and seats all look good with almost zero pitting and zero seat widening. The '73 has jumped timing at some point and bent one intake valve. Several exhaust valves have barely, and i mean barely 'kissed' the pistons. I can see a new timing chain in there. The '73 902 heads look good also and the difference in the exhaust port makes me believe that in stock form they flow somewhat better, but probably not by much.
3) There are plenty of parts two make two good engines. So which one?
4) I have a set of forged PEP rods laying around, worth upgrading or not?
5) There is a new timing chain in the '73, but i'll be degreeing the cam and may buy a Cloyes roller? I do have offset keys if that chain looks perfectly new. $100
6) I have sets of orange Detroit head gaskets and a new black set of Detroit/Cad500 head gaskets. Either should survive 10psi if tuned right. $done
7) I may buy a Boogieman intake for my Malibu and swap the MTS to this project. I don't trust a Performer in a turbo application as far as fuel distribution goes. $expensive
8) I may buy main studs $100
9) i'll need a few gaskets and rear main seal $75
10) i'll need an oil pump bypass spring $10
11) i'll need a driveshaft $?????????
12) I may need more radiator. The truck has an aluminum aftermarket 3 core in it so I'll see what happens first.
13) Cheap turbo(s)
14) Intercooler
15) blow off valves, tubing, clamps, etc
16) i have a Mallory boost reference regulator already
17) i have a nice aluminum carb hat already
18) stock exhaust manifold to turbos? Already have Sanderson headers to a single turbo? Build another set of header from scratch?

Set in stone for the engine/trans.
1) I will NOT put large valves in the engine. I won't spend the money for an engine that i really don't care about. I will port the bowls, valve guides, and port match. The boost will overcome the flow to some extent.
2) I expect to find one good crank in the bunch to at the most get polished. I will only turn the crank if no other choice.
3) I have plenty of pistons and rods for both engines, '73 and '75. I will measure and only re-con if no other choice.
4) I will install new main, cam and rod bearings, and new rings after ball honing and cleaning the block.
5) I have a brand new eBay billet 'ready to run' distributor.
6) i have a nearly finished TH400 that will handle 1000hp with about a $400 spend.
7) i have a complete 9" nodular Summit brand differential, with 3.00, 3.50, or 4.56 gears and a Strange S-trac LSD, Strange billet yoke.
8) I have a TCI saturday night special converter that is new which will probably be a weak link
9) I have a all but new 850 Holley vacuum secondary that i can convert to blowthrough.
10) I'll run wider than normal ring gap
11) I have Grade 9 F911 head bolts
12) i have two Eldorado pans/pickups
13) i have an brand new old CMD hydraulic cam. Street Max 2. Lobe lift is 0.3184" intake and exhaust, duration @ 0.050" is 230 both side, LSA is 107 degrees. I will be using this cam because i have it already and only paid $75. I'll buy a set of USA made lifters.
14) i have Autolite 'short ground strap' plugs already.
15) I have a QFT electric fuel pump
16) I have a new 15 gallon fuel cell and miles of braided 10an hose and fittings
17) i already have a set of brass freeze plugs
18) I already have everything to run 6an line to rear of block
19) i have a spare SFI flexplate and several 500 flexplates
20) i have a Strange billet TH400 yoke

I'm thinking of using the '75 stuff and see where it goes. I hate to trash the '73 stuff if something pops even though it ain't worth much. I could be going 'full blown' expensive on this but it doesn't have that much value to me. And i sure as hell don't want an Ls engine in this thing, or a Coyote, or a 5.0, or a 4.6....................................If i can get anywhere near 400hp out of the engine alone then it should be interesting with boost. The total weight of the truck will be around 33-3400 pounds.
Again, i'm doing this as cheap as possible while making the truck drive better and be safer. Hell, it takes the whole 150hp that it has now to push 70mph so it isn't that fun in it's current form. The drivetrain in the truck is all but new, somebody should pay something for it? Any amount will help buy parts. There is tons of room under the hood, especially if i remove the inner fender.

My main question at this point would be, "does anyone have a real opinion on building the '75 vs the '73?"

Man that was a lot of typing.........

5one9

Reaction score
And i forgot about rocker arms and pushrods..................Pushrods i may aready be ok on..................

And beehive springs.............................

Darius

Reaction score
I have decided on a few things that are set in stone. Other things I'll ask questions on.

*Set in stone, Steve.
1) I'll be 51 in a few months. I want to have this driveable if not completely done in the spring, period. I don't have time to waste.

Set in stone body and chassis.
1) It will be turbocharged. Maybe one, maybe two. But as cheap as possible. I don't expect to go past 8 or 10psi, but since I'm cheaping out on the engine and have spare parts, then who knows.
2) I will do this as cheap as possible so that I can get it done this winter and not hate myself later. But remember, cheap is relative.
3) I'll put a Mustang II front under it. Heidt's makes one that is all USA made for $2000 but it is 5x4.5" or 5x4.75" bolt pattern. CPP makes a copy of the Heidt's for $1500 and it comes with 5x5.5" bolt pattern. I already have $500 worth 5x5.5" wheels, so that plus the $500 price savings will push me to CPP. Sorry Heidt's but I'm the weird guy that kept the Ford truck pattern that doesn't fit your sales model.
4) I'll put in a AutoWeldChassis 10-12point cage. My buddy lives 30 minutes from them and he comes here weekly and will deliver. Price is just under $500 so my Mustang II savings got me a free roll cage kit.
5) full, large exhaust out the rear. None of this YouTube exhaust out the front fender BS

Bro. 5one9,

Before deciding on the turbo portion of your project I strongly urge you to watch this short video:

*Slightly variable. ...

*Set in stone for the engine/trans. ...

I'm thinking of using the '75 stuff and see where it goes. I hate to trash the '73 stuff if something pops even though it ain't worth much. I could be going 'full blown' expensive on this but it doesn't have that much value to me. And i sure as hell don't want an Ls engine in this thing, or a Coyote, or a 5.0, or a 4.6....................................If i can get anywhere near 400hp out of the engine alone then it should be interesting with boost. The total weight of the truck will be around 33-3400 pounds.
Again, i'm doing this as cheap as possible while making the truck drive better and be safer. Hell, it takes the whole 150hp that it has now to push 70mph so it isn't that fun in it's current form. The drivetrain in the truck is all but new, somebody should pay something for it? Any amount will help buy parts. There is tons of room under the hood, especially if i remove the inner fender.

My main question at this point would be, "does anyone have a real opinion on building the '75 vs the '73?"

Man that was a lot of typing.........

5one9,
For your turbocharged plans my advice would be to go with the engine combination that gives you the lower static compression ratio. Even at 8 to 10 pounds of boost timing and air/fuel ratio become critical. Adding high compression only makes everything more complicated. Keep it 'low to go fast.'

d

48Austin

Reaction score
If the plan is to go E85. Then up the compression. D I know you have seen this vid before or another one like it
this guy ran the car on E85 pump fuel. And I think 9.5 or 10 to1. STREET DRIVEN! Has a build thread on the HAMB. Car was stolen:rolleyes:.

Darius

Reaction score
Yo, Bro. Austin,

I responded to 5and9's turbocharging plans with the suggestion of lower compression as it seems he hasn't had a lot of experience with forced induction. Even with E85 my counsel would be to go "low and safe" on compression. His, and your, mileage may vary!

My previous post to him was done late at night and I clunked it up by trying to embed comments between his. Some of that content can be seen if you click on the "See More". Basically there was a link which pointed out the major distinctions between a single and a twin turbo setup.

That Austin is pretty darn quick! After all these years, and more than a tad bit of money spent, along with tons and tons of hours spent -- I just hope my little Cadillac powered Studebaker can look decent going down the strip.

Best,

bro. d

5one9

Reaction score
It will likely be a single turbo. No E85 so the lower the CR the better. I’m curious to see Richard Holdener finally boost that 500 Caddy that he has just to see what stock rods and pistons will take. He blew a head gasket on the Buick 455 this weekend running about 9psi or so.

48Austin

Reaction score
Blew a head gasket with only 9psi of boost? More problems with the engine then he thought. The Cad came from the Gremlin! So who knows what's wrong with that! Bunch of big Cads in the yards AND on the streets! No need to get a blown up engine from Frieburger!

5one9

Reaction score
I think his Cad engine had rod bearing issues so it will get fixed and then boost. I’m just curious to see how far he pushes it. It will help me make decisions to either push forward or forget about it.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
I’m curious to see Richard Holdener finally boost that 500 Caddy that he has just to see what stock rods and pistons will take. He blew a head gasket on the Buick 455 this weekend running about 9psi or so.
I wish he would start the dyno at a lower rpm on his Buick 455 pulls. He is already coming down in peak torque by 2,500 rpm which is when the Dyno starts recording. He is making so much power at lower rpm and all he is focusing is hitting the peak 500 hp number when you can see his torque dropping like a rock on the curve. That thing is a complete beast below 4,000 rpms. I can't wait to see what the 500 hits in torque. He had over 750 ft lbs of torque at 2,500 rpms with the 455 on the boost. I bet he has over 850 on the Cad with the same amount of boost.

5one9

Reaction score
Since I finally got the Malibu rear oil pan leak fixed I pulled the 500 short block apart, degreased it, removed the cam bearing, freeze plugs, etc. Tomorrow I'll deburr everything, check the deck flatness, put the dingleball hone to it, and throw some paint on it.

The crank needs the rod journals turned. I'll let him decide whether to polish or turn the mains.
IMG_4815.jpg

Darius

Reaction score
You young men with energy and skills are a sight to behold, . . . and envy. :thumbup: :D

Today I tore up more of my garage trying to get to something. In the process found another 4L80E, a TH425 and a TH325 - plus a tricycle! Also came across a box of Turbochargers of various sizes. Thankfully no bodies have turned up so that's blessing. Found what I was looking but now I need another set of hands to get it down. Oh well.

My bet is that Richard Holdener will come away from New Mexico with a whole new respect for the big ole Cadillac engines.

Time for my store-bought dinner from Wendy's.

Hugs,

bro. d

5one9

Reaction score
OK. Block is clean. All cylinders ball honed. #1 has a little bit of rust left about 1" down from the deck where it stood with water in it at some point. I can barely, and I mean barely, feel it after honing. It will work. I'll have about 0.030" ring gap when done so it's not like a little blow by isn't going to be there anyway. This thing is going to get abused. Front lifter galley holes are tapped with pipe plugs installed, being careful to get them flush on the outside and not so deep as to block the main feed. Top galley plugs installed and staked. I'll order some brass freeze plugs, cam bearings, and STD rings asap. I'll take the crank to the shop for turning this week and then get the bearings ordered as soon as I know the sizes. Lifters, chain, and main studs and the bottom end will go together.

5one9

Reaction score
Cam bearings and freeze plugs arrived today. Chased all of the head bolt holes for the Grade 9 head bolts. Crankshaft is at the machinist. One intake and exhaust bowl and port are done. They look as good as the bowls on my Malibu heads.

I’ll be back at it in the morning.

Darius

Reaction score
Cam bearings and freeze plugs arrived today. Chased all of the head bolt holes for the Grade 9 head bolts. Crankshaft is at the machinist. One intake and exhaust bowl and port are done. They look as good as the bowls on my Malibu heads.

I’ll be back at it in the morning.

Head bolts or studs??

d