1954 Cadillac 472 EFI Considering Converting to Manual Trans

deanK

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1954 Cadillac 472
I have a 54 Series 62. It has a 1970 472. I converted it to EFI using the 1975/1976 Cad Hardware and a Megasquirt II V3 computer. It also has a Cad V8-6-4 computer controlled distributor. It has homemade headers with Flowmaster 70s. I made a homemade ram air setup. Currently it has a turbo 400 with a Hurst shift kit and a Hurst Auto/Stick 1. I have been building this car for over 20 years designing and redesigning it to make it better. I have been restoring/restomoding an original AC unit to work with the 1970 compressor. I'd like to put a manual in the car.at some point. So, I have been doing research for the mod. Attached are pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Caddylackn

Reaction score
That is cool and tastefully done! First year of the GM A/C.

Why are you considering a manual? You already have a floor shifter, you could change your 400 valve body to a full manual shift easily enough. Is it for better gearing?

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Very nice setup

deanK

Reaction score
1954 Cadillac 472
That is cool and tastefully done! First year of the GM A/C.

Why are you considering a manual? You already have a floor shifter, you could change your 400 valve body to a full manual shift easily enough. Is it for better gearing?
I would like to lower the revs at cruising speed. Also, I am looking to upgrade the cool factor. When I started building the car I wanted to make a phantom Hurst Cadillac. I thought if I could get a 4 speed into the car it would be ultra cool for another unique feature for this car. I know that 4th gear on the 4 speeds is direct, so no overdrive or lower revs. But, I have not done anything yet. I am in the planning stages and I am researching everything to make it happen if I decide to do so.

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
I don't know if putting a stick in that is such a good idea:eek:. One higher RPM side step and things will break:cry:. Weight of the car, torque of engine, and if stock rear. Disaster will strike! Yeah, I know:rolleyes: "You won't THAT";). Yeah, right:whistle:. Nice sled:cool:.

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I'm not in the camp of standard transmissions.

I am in the camp of seeing you do it if it suits you. Besides, who ever put a big Caddy engine in something thinking that nothing was going to break?

That 6 speed idea would be cool for sure.